Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2009, 02:54 PM   #1

Klamath Falls , Oregon
How to roll out awning?

trying to find out how to roll out the awning anyone help me plz
offroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 03:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroader View Post
trying to find out how to roll out the awning anyone help me plz
Do you know the brand of awning? and how old is the awning? Zipdee is pretty customer friendly. Other awning manufacturers may also be able to send you a manual.

There should be some kind of lock mechanism that keeps it secured to the side of the trailer. Release this or those and there may be a loop handle in the middle of the awning you pull to extend the awning. Opening some awnings is easier with 2 people one on each arm. When the awning is extended there is a smaller rafter arm that locks the awning in an extended position
Old 09-19-2009, 03:19 PM   #3
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1961 16' Bambi
1997 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Millstone Township , New Jersey
Awning Demo on Youtube.com

Old 09-19-2009, 03:24 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

For us to help you, we need to know the model and year of the airstream that you have and the brand of awning on it.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:55 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Nice u tube on the zip dee. I use the Airstream heavy for 5 months out of the year. Really, over 22k miles in 2 years and staring at over 10k miles between now and April. I have never, repeat never used the zip dee awning. I know, its not hard, it just never comes out. It makes some sense to sell it, somebody needs it more than we do. Anyway, I guess it depends on your type of use, mine is running hard and moving constantly. And now for that useless crank up t.v. antennae as well? One good thing, if we ever order a new one, I know what is needed and not.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:22 AM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

We have done 50,000 miles and 500 nights in Lucy in the past three years. We use the ZipDee some, but not every day, as we move often, and we're not much for sitting outside the trailer. We carry a grill, but haven't used it in over a year, so it's fixing to go. The crank up antenna has been used about five times.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:26 AM   #7
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Just a thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari 28 View Post
I have never, repeat never used the zip dee awning. I know, its not hard, it just never comes out.
It might be worthwhile to pull it out and wash it (both sides). Zip Dee (and some owners I've seen messages from on here) say that if you don't wash it regularly, dirt will allow mold and mildew to grow and fester on it.

That's doesn't sound like a Good Thing to me...
Old 09-20-2009, 10:25 AM   #8
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
We have used our Airstream an average of once per month or more since we got it Memorial Day weekend in '06. We always use our awnings (we have them on the street side and rear window, too) because most of our travel is to Florida or other locals during the summer. We like to sit outside under the awning at cocktail time and we usually eat outside unless it is raining. In fact, we often bring a free standing awning to put over the table (it has a removable screen enclosure). Unfortunately on our last trip before school started we went to the beach and didn't get to sit under it because it was just too hot.

We always lower one end all the way because we have been gone when a Florida storm blows in and overloaded the awning with rain water and the rear arm collapsed. This is not some thing you want, trust me, I've had to replace that arm twice. Now I carry a spare under the sofa. You can't retract that end of the awning if the arm is bent at 90 degrees without disconnecting the bottom end and heave it up to the side of the trailer. Then you have to remove the arm completely for travel. No one stocks the arms and it takes at least two days for shipping. I also carry a folding ladder so I can reach the locking wheel after getting the awning back up there.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:41 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
It might be worthwhile to pull it out and wash it (both sides). Zip Dee (and some owners I've seen messages from on here) say that if you don't wash it regularly, dirt will allow mold and mildew to grow and fester on it.

That's doesn't sound like a Good Thing to me...
Oh-- no!! I had a feeling this might open a can of worms. O well, if it real bad anyone want the rest of what is left, real cheap? I will try and open later next week. Maybe some treasures are waiting.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I would be interested in the arms and hardware for spare parts if you can dissassemble and ship. My guess is though you would like to find someone to pick up the whole thang. Shipping the whole awning is probably cost prohibitive for a used awning.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:55 PM   #11
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
awing

i still have not been brave enough to extend the awing..............
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:33 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I would be interested in the arms and hardware for spare parts if you can dissassemble and ship. My guess is though you would like to find someone to pick up the whole thang. Shipping the whole awning is probably cost prohibitive for a used awning.
let me see what the end results are. I asked the previous owner if ever used and it is possible this thing may have never been opened. closed at the factory in 04 is what probably happened. This time last year I was in angel fire, a beautiful spot indeed. We have been known to hang out in UFO city as well. Anyway, thanks for the interest. Time will tell.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:54 PM   #13
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Dunno, but I'd be really disappointed if ours hadn't had a nice Zip Dee on it. We use it all the time. It is SIMPLE to open and put down, once you get used to it. I put it up and take it down every day. Takes all of about three minutes if that.

Caution though; the one on ours is only a year old, because the PO left it open in a storm and it was demolished...

I know what you mean, kingfisher24, it seems a bit intimdating if you haven't done it before, but watch the video in post #3, you will see: it's a snap to do!

As for removing it to sell, if you intend to own your TT forever, then sure, why not take it off. But if you ever decide to sell it, the purchaser might think you are nuts to have removed it! The'll certainly expect to pay less, those Zip Dees are several thousand all installed, IIRC.

Keeps the trailer way cooler, and I think it looks nice too. Wouldn't be without it!
Old 09-20-2009, 10:04 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
IMHO I think the awning(s) are a great re-sale point. Ditto on the above.

suz
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:10 PM   #15
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The first thing I added to my TW after I bought it was a patio awning. I also installed an awning over the rear window (bathroom) and recently added a street side window awning. The ZipDee awning goes up and down in less then 2 minutes. I use a small wooden stool to reach the locks.

If you remove the awning, you will have 4 plates still attached to your trailer. If you remove the plates, you will have 12 holes to fill.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:21 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeatAirstream View Post
Thanks for posting that video.

I have attempted to *set* the arms on the shaft (using various methods - including "spearing") and have not been able to get either arm to lock in place --- as shown at times 1:20-1:43 in the video. I've been using the roller locking mechanism on the shaft to keep the awning deployed - though I know this is not particularly safe/good for the awning. Do you have any ideas for me?

My awning is rather old and it takes a great deal of my strength just to open the awning (pulling out the snap studs and moving the roller up & out) even with my newly purchased handles. Maybe it needs some maintenance somewhere?

Thanks for any advice, Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:24 AM   #17
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Laura,

If you are having difficulties with your Zip Dee, I suggest you call them. They are very knowledgeable and exceptionally friendly and helpful on the phone.

Here is the toll-free number: 800-338-2378 You'll see there are a number of instructional videos on their site, but I'm guessiong you'll be further ahead calling them.