Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Los Angeles , California
How to pack a bike along?

Hi,
We are brand new to owning an Airstream and will be going out on our first trip this weekend. We are very excited! Question: those of you who bring bikes, how do you do it? Do you put them inside your AS while traveling and strap them down to something? Ours is a 2005 28', if that helps. I'm not really interested in putting a bike rack on the AS, so am looking for an alternative.

Thanks!
Kelley
kawb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Congratulations on the new Airstream. We use a simple two-bike stand under the rear bike wheels inside the pickup bed, then one strong strap wrapped around the seat posts and to each side of the bed, to keep them on place.

doug k
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0266.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	249.5 KB
ID:	176796  
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
We bought these: Jack D7 | Dahon Global

They ride in there own bags in the back of the truck and we still have space for lots of other "stuff", all secure under the locked camper cover.

Well, as secure as any other lock.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:47 PM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
We have a Yakima tower system on the roof of our TV for our kayaks and mountain bikes. It works very well for us as the kayaks are 10' to 14' long.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
My old lady bike with the girl's style frame and the wide basket rides on our front dinette bed in the trailer. Other bikes usually ride under the shell in the back of the pickup. Once in a blue moon, we've used the hitch mounted bike rack in our front hitch receiver, but that makes us a really long load and hampers visibility.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:57 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
1976 Argosy 28
1978 28' Argosy 28
Lodi , California
The road bikes go in the truck bed on the "Hollywood" brand truck bed rack (expandable locking bar $135+) and the beach cruiser rests against the front gaucho. The kid bike usually lays on the front gaucho. 5+ bike family! The road bike front tires fit nicely in the tub with the pump and beach chairs. We use a cable lock on the bikes in the truck bed and then secure them with the cable lock to the A-frame while camping.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-309896713.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	356.9 KB
ID:	176806   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2627387508.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	501.0 KB
ID:	176807  

triterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:29 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
We made a PVC rack that goes in the bed of the truck for travel and comes out to serve as a stand when we are set up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2570434903.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	672.0 KB
ID:	176810  
Flying Gypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:56 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Trailer hitch on the front of our truck, plus a standard bike rack that fits into it.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:18 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Milam , Texas
Here's how we do it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-593513244.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	324.7 KB
ID:	176812   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2479171419.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	606.0 KB
ID:	176813  

Robert warne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Austin , Texas
This is how we carry our bikes:

Carrying Bikes in Airstream by LToTheYnn, on Flickr

Lynn
2005 19' Safari, Toyota Tundra
2 Small and Spoiled Dogs
lcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Of all the ideas I've seen here, all seem sensible except for the tow vehicle front-bumper rack. (I know, it's not mounted to the bumper) I wouldn't want my bikes to be receiving the full brunt of rain, hail, bugs, birds, deer, road debris, sand and gravel, etc., never mind the obvious vulnerability to front-end collision with another vehicle, all the while obscuring my vision as I'm driving my huge and heavy truck and trailer down the road in traffic.
I put our bikes either in the back of the Suburban or in the trailer, safe from the elements and thieves, leaving my view of the road unobstructed.
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:39 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Los Angeles , California
Thanks everyone! We don't have a pick-up with an open bed in the back, so that isn't an option for us. I like the folding bikes idea and how Lynn mounted a bike to the trailer in the inside--not sure how that works though.
kawb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:57 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Thule and Yakima make racks that go on the top of any car and SUV. I'd keep them out of the rig in case of damage inside.

http://www.thule.com/en-US/US/Products/Bike-Carriers

http://m.yakima.com/#bikes-types
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:53 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by tphan View Post
Of all the ideas I've seen here, all seem sensible except for the tow vehicle front-bumper rack. (I know, it's not mounted to the bumper) I wouldn't want my bikes to be receiving the full brunt of rain, hail, bugs, birds, deer, road debris, sand and gravel, etc., never mind the obvious vulnerability to front-end collision with another vehicle, all the while obscuring my vision as I'm driving my huge and heavy truck and trailer down the road in traffic.
I put our bikes either in the back of the Suburban or in the trailer, safe from the elements and thieves, leaving my view of the road unobstructed.
Actually none of the things you mention have ever turned out to be a problem for us - mind you we don't have $6000 bikes! Just inexpensive mountain bikes that serve our purpose very well in every respect.

I can appreciate that if someone has a small tow vehicle visibility could be a problem, but we tow with a 2500HD, and I can barely see a bit of handlebar poking up above the hood line - just enough to be sure all is well with teh bikes.

For us, the biggest advantages are that our whole truck bed (with cap) is free for storage, and we make very good use of the space to keep clutter out of the railer. No possible damage to the interior of the trailer by moving bikes in and out, no worries about trailer structural problems that some have warned about when carried bikes on the back of the trailer.

As well, the bikes are extremely easy to get on and off without need to get them up on the roof - which would be a chore with our tow vehicle.

Certainly it may not make sense in your particular situation but I considered all the various options and we have been very happy with this arrangement for over 15 years!

I am sure there is no perfect solution that would suit all!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 01-17-2013, 07:09 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
I have been looking at the folding bike solution and have become interested in full size folders and bought a used one locally for evaluation. Here is the maker that I have landed on. If my trial works out, I will likely buy a new one as well.

They fold up, are full size, weigh less than 30 pounds, are robust, and store in a bag. I could put two in the trailer without having too much concern.

There are very well made 20" wheeled folding bikes but the cost is prohititive and we also prefer to have full size mountain bikes. BTW, I am also hoping to try taking one on the airlines as checked luggage in a hard case since I travel a lot in my work.

Folding Bikes by Montague and Bicycle Commuting Accessories. - Montague Bikes

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:20 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertwarner View Post
Here's how we do it.
Is that even legal? Looks like it blocks the drivers vision by quite a bit.
(Edit) See post #9 for photos of what I am commenting about.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:37 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventport View Post
Is that even legal? Looks like it blocks the drivers vision by quite a bit.
(Edit) See post #9 for photos of what I am commenting about.
Yep,

Those do seem to be carried very high. I put bikes up front too, but I cut the bike rack main tube down sufficiently so that the tires are just maybe 6" or so above the road. In this configuration, I can just barely see the handlebars of one of the bikes above the hood line. Much less interference with vision than, say, a gps on the dash or windshield.

I think that you are right in that technically an LEO could take exception to carrying the bikes this way from the standpoint of both visibiity and headlight interference, but neither seem to be an issue in my case and as mentioned in a previous post we have never had the slightest issue in fifteen years. Had police cars in front of me and along side many many times and often wondered if one might take exception, but none ever have..... yet, anyway!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Old 01-17-2013, 09:12 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawb View Post
I like the folding bikes idea and how Lynn mounted a bike to the trailer in the inside--not sure how that works though.
It took me months of thinking about how we wanted to carry our bikes to come up with this but it's really amazingly simple.

I bought 2 bike fork mounts like these Amazon.com: Delta Bike Hitch Pro 2 Locking Fork Mount: Sports & Outdoors
I got them at a local sporting goods store.

I laid down the table and drilled holes in the base, near the wall of the AS where there is nothing under the base. Then I attached the fork mounts. They're pretty much in the area where we keep the trashcan.

When I installed them, I used wingnuts so that I could remove them withouth tools when we re-setup the table on the road. I've never actually removed them though. I just throw the cushions on top of them. There's a slight bump, but it's really just visual.

Carrying Bikes in Airstream by LToTheYnn, on Flickr

Lynn
lcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote