Old 01-17-2013, 07:09 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
I have been looking at the folding bike solution and have become interested in full size folders and bought a used one locally for evaluation. Here is the maker that I have landed on. If my trial works out, I will likely buy a new one as well.

They fold up, are full size, weigh less than 30 pounds, are robust, and store in a bag. I could put two in the trailer without having too much concern.

There are very well made 20" wheeled folding bikes but the cost is prohititive and we also prefer to have full size mountain bikes. BTW, I am also hoping to try taking one on the airlines as checked luggage in a hard case since I travel a lot in my work.

Folding Bikes by Montague and Bicycle Commuting Accessories. - Montague Bikes

"If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you never tried before!"

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
2017 Canopenian
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:20 AM   #16
Rivet Master
1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Originally Posted by robertwarner View Post
Here's how we do it.
Is that even legal? Looks like it blocks the drivers vision by quite a bit.
(Edit) See post #9 for photos of what I am commenting about.

ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:37 AM   #17
Rivet Master
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Originally Posted by ventport View Post
Is that even legal? Looks like it blocks the drivers vision by quite a bit.
(Edit) See post #9 for photos of what I am commenting about.

Those do seem to be carried very high. I put bikes up front too, but I cut the bike rack main tube down sufficiently so that the tires are just maybe 6" or so above the road. In this configuration, I can just barely see the handlebars of one of the bikes above the hood line. Much less interference with vision than, say, a gps on the dash or windshield.

I think that you are right in that technically an LEO could take exception to carrying the bikes this way from the standpoint of both visibiity and headlight interference, but neither seem to be an issue in my case and as mentioned in a previous post we have never had the slightest issue in fifteen years. Had police cars in front of me and along side many many times and often wondered if one might take exception, but none ever have..... yet, anyway!

Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:12 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member
2005 19' Safari
Austin , Texas
Originally Posted by kawb View Post
I like the folding bikes idea and how Lynn mounted a bike to the trailer in the inside--not sure how that works though.
It took me months of thinking about how we wanted to carry our bikes to come up with this but it's really amazingly simple.

I bought 2 bike fork mounts like these Delta Bike Hitch Pro 2 Locking Fork Mount: Sports & Outdoors
I got them at a local sporting goods store.

I laid down the table and drilled holes in the base, near the wall of the AS where there is nothing under the base. Then I attached the fork mounts. They're pretty much in the area where we keep the trashcan.

When I installed them, I used wingnuts so that I could remove them withouth tools when we re-setup the table on the road. I've never actually removed them though. I just throw the cushions on top of them. There's a slight bump, but it's really just visual.

Carrying Bikes in Airstream by LToTheYnn, on Flickr

lcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote