Old 09-17-2004, 01:54 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

this should do it! http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6026041/

Old 09-17-2004, 03:42 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argosy20
I second the opinion about the Astro. I just acquired one as a backup tow vehicle for my 20' Argosy.
Top end is about 55 mph, acceleration needs a calendar to measure. It rides well, doesn't sway around, it just won't go fast enough to keep out of traffic's way. I shudder to think about towing a bigger (heavier) trailer with it. I have a Dakota with a 5.2, I would hesitate to pull the bigger trailer with it, although it probably would do the job marginally.
Tires are usually good for about 6-8 years, depending on how and where they were stored. I would replace them to be on the cautious side. While you have the tires off, go ahead and repack the bearings, and make sure the brakes are in good shape. Check the running lights, and make sure all doors and windows are securely closed. This latter advice may sound a little dumb, but many people here on the forums have had outside doors pop open and windows disappear while towing their trailers. Good luck with them, and welcome to the Forums!
Terry
Does your Astro have the 4.3 liter 6 cylinder and tow package?

Old 09-17-2004, 04:27 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Hello, I just pulled a Bambi II, 17 ft. same as the Caravel 950 mi. with a 95 Astro van. 4.3 V6 Auto, pretty tired with 140,000 mi. Trailer pulled very well on all but the largest mountain passes. 65 mph in drive was no proublem. The steepest grades, twice only reduced me to 40 mph in 2nd low. Trailer was empty. Give yourself some room to pull out in traffic, and take it slow down the grades. Commen sence stuff and you will get by with the Astro and Caravel. A V8 would be nice, but if you don't venture to far from home keep the Astro.

Jesse
Old 09-17-2004, 04:30 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Your living my dream. I have wanted a Loft style home for years. One New Years I ended up going to a Party. at a Loft down by the Mead plant off of Howell mill somewhere. Never been able to find the place again. The down stairs was a Fish market in it's past. The upstarts was offices and where the loft was made. The stairs up were 8ft wide Oak and toung and groove oak wainscoating (sp).

The owner collected Gargoyles and every other step had a Gargoyle on it. At the base board and behind the railing was neon lighting. When you hit the landing at the top of the steps and made the turn into the living room was his prize Gargoyle straight from Paris. It was a Gargoyle that stood on a Crurch that was over 200 years old. It was 6ft tall and the neon lights wrapped around its wings to back light it. It was pretty cool! He told me that they had to take the front windows out and load it in with a crane.

The building he said was 80 years old (90 now). All the floors was oak and all the walls were tounge and groove oak plank. They salvaged all the walls and rebuilt where needed. One of the other great things was the head board to his bead was a all Brass postoffice box. It had about 40 individual two dial boxes with Bakalite knobs.

Ever since seeing that place I have desired to have a Loft that had a drive in area for parking and plenty of open space.

Love to see your place one day and take you up on the tour.

Where is the Overlander at currently?
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 05:47 PM   #19
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by woolygums
Does your Astro have the 4.3 liter 6 cylinder and tow package?
Yes, it does. There are two different 4.3's, one has TBI, one has MPFI, mine has TBI, less horsepower, but a LOT cheaper to maintain. Also, my Argosy probably weighs significantly more than your Caravel. It is somewhere over 3000lbs, plus whatever you put in it. It is also a little taller (wind drag) and has a new standard profile roof A/C unit (more wind drag). It doesn't bob and weave around, but acceleration leaves something to be desired
Terry
Old 09-17-2004, 10:30 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
I think you can pull the Overlander with the Astro for 20 miles without any problem as long as your hitch and brakes are set up right. We pulled our '64 Overlander about 350 miles with a '98 Astro when we first brought the trailer home. We've since upgraded to a Suburban which is much more comfortable for towing long distances, but the Astro was satisfactory for the first trip.

Grant
Old 09-18-2004, 08:25 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Astro power

Hi! I have a 93 Astro that I put a 350 V8 into (nice and fun now). However, I did pull our 26ft Argosy with it prior to the engine swap. I have the 3.42 gears and 4.3 TBI short model. Sway wasn't an issue as long as the weight distrubution bars were set up right... I'd still get sway control though. On the flats and mild hills, it was ok as long as the trailer was empty. It just doesn't seem to have enough guts for LONG trips fully loaded... brakes are not a strong part either... but do the job. Put a tranny cooler in and tow OUT of overdrive. You should be fine for what you want to do.

Incidently, I did upgrade to a 1 ton Dodge van before our big summer trip. Cooling my Astro Beast towing in 100 degree heat became an issue, and I started to worry about braking safety. I also got a warning from a tow driver that I would be ticketed by some states for being "over grossed" on tow weight. I decided it wasn't worth the worries that I had, and started over with the Dodge. It tows beautifully without worry.
Marc
Old 09-19-2004, 08:17 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Had the good Fortune to meet Bill and Ann today and take a look at their coaches.

They are jewels in the rough.

The Caravel has a near perfect skin. One dent in the rear that a lot of it can be pushed back out. Little damage from jack knife with the tow vheicle at the A-Frame other wise great skin.

As so many of us have had to deal with there is some floor rot in the bath area. They have been sitting for a few years and it caught up with them. Not particularly bad area's to repair but will need to disassemble the bath to repair. Otherwise its interior is in pretty good condition. All the vinyl clad walls should clean up great. Even the bins are present. Very restorable coach.

The Overlander Is also very complete. It to has some leaks and some floor problems but again, in very restorable condition. Some rot in the bath and truck and some rot under the reefer but not difficult to deal with. Most of the Corning side windows are present. Couple dented areas but nothing really bad at all.

The Loft is great. They are still building out but it really is neat. They can park 6-8 Airstreams indoors no problems and still get their cars in! Take them up on the tour if you get a chance. Bill is the gaget guy! The whole loft is wired up. There are no light switches. The whole house is controled by a remote control! The plans they have for their home are only going to make it even better. Wonderful peice of reclaimed urban realestate. The thing I couldn't get over is your right in the middle of Atlanta and it was Quiet! Wonderful open peice of land.

Really enjoyed the tour and meeing Bill and Ann today. Wonderful people.

Bill: I called on that other Airstream today. Its a 69 Overlander. It had a Oak tree fall on it and it sounds like the last 5ft are a total loss. I am seriously concidering buying the coach to salvage the Appliances out of. I mention this because it may have a useable panels to repair what little body damage there is on yours if you do decide to restore. I should have pictures tomorow evening and will probably try to go look at it next weekend.
Old 09-19-2004, 09:32 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
the Top of Georgia is located close to Atlanta www.topofga.com
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 04:34 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59toaster
Had the good Fortune to meet Bill and Ann today and take a look at their coaches.
Eric,

It was a great pleasure to meet with you and benefit from your wonderful knowledge and understanding of Airstreams, so feeely given!

We certainly are developing a case of "aluminitis!"

I am looking for an aluminum skinned AS MH. Had an idea about making the Overlander into a MH, but think that we will just find an AS that was built as a MH and take it from there.

Lookin forward to meeting more Airstream folks. This is a wonderful venture!

Hope to be at the TOG event in our Caravel. Looking for new tires and a few other parts like the umbilical cord that Dad probaly has salted away somewhere....

Bill and Anne
Atlanta
Old 09-20-2004, 09:29 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I had to replace the cord on my 74 International, its not that bad of a job and it gives you an excuse to check out all of your lights, brakes and constant power.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 09:34 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Bill:

Here is Freds MH page. He has a great collection of floor plans and interior pictures. The 310 with no picture is the Coach that belongs to Kurt and Mandy that I was telling you about. That link will take you to their page and they have the coach documented there. Its a littel higher mile then most but they have gone through the coach and its in nice condition and ready to go.
http://www.airstreammotorhomes.com/