Old 02-09-2004, 04:28 PM   #15
Rivet Master
One of the things I was absolutely certain I had to have when I was shopping for my Airstream was a island full size bed. When I saw the corner bed in my mid-bath Sovereign I was sure I would rip it all out and change it to an island queen.

Now, mine is a seldom seen floorplan (click PHOTOS below), but the issues apply for the most part with any corner bed.

The first thing that happened was I was spoiled by the extra wardrobe and the dresser made possible by the corner bed. The second thing that happened was we got along with the corner bed just fine. This second item was an absolute surprise to me.

One thing that is different than most corner beds is that ours is open the full length, which helps a lot.

Ours also came with an upholstered pad on the wall along the bed. It was rather dirty, so I replaced it with some very, very plush short pile carpet used in limos. We like to camp rather late into the fall and find it is no longer cold on that side of the bed.

So, I guess my point is that if you really want a 22' CCD or Safari, a Bambi, a 25' six sleeper, the corner bed may be just fine for you. But I would want to take into account the experiences related above from people who did not like theirs.

j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 09:11 AM   #16
Rivet Master
2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
corner bed

I like our 25' ss corner bed mostly because of all the room we gain. The privacy screen works well and when not closed the 25' seems spacious, the half wall aluding to privacy and separate space but also supporting openness which feels like a studio-type throughout and not segmented into smaller bits. The dinette rather than a wall or appliance helps open up the space as well. Great proportion of walk-aroundspace and window placement. We had an island queen in our SOB and I thought the twin option was the layout we would go with but my husband thought the dinette would be more practical for us having camera equipment and laptop or various other projects going and still have a place to eat without having to move everything. So though at first I was reluctant I have grown to appreciate the space. I also like the bed walled in its very comforting and womb-like. LOL I especially like curling up and putting my feet on the wall. It's like being in a train berth or shipsbed only bigger.

Now on a more serious note. I noticed not many have mentioned an age. At 51 we almost opted for twin beds. I prefer the twin beds to the queen for floor space and lengthening look. I like the window and nightstand, could make a nice portable office. The only thing I didn't like was the wardrobes looming overhead. Of course the dog prefers a bigger bed and yes, believe it or not the 90+lb beast jumps up and goes to my side so there goes my legroom! We just pile in like hamsters.

wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 09:22 AM   #17
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'm with ya on that Carol. I love the corner bed seems more spacious to me. Perhaps some day, the twin, but I can't see it happening for many, many years, if at all.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 03:29 PM   #18
Commercial Member
1967 30' Sovereign
Los Lunas , New Mexico
Welllllll, er, ah, you see, ah, with our twins, if it's really, really cold, then I can get one foot warmer and my wife can get the other one. The one is called Amanda, and the other is called Toby.

WBCCI 21043
eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 04:31 PM   #19
Rivet Master
2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
We got the twin beds because we thought they would be easier to make and for getting up at night. We were wrong.

Next time we will get the queen free-standing one. I will not tell you what we are thinking of length-wise because I don't want you all complaining about my tow vehicle.
Kistler & Brenda

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 04:54 PM   #20

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Originally posted by Kistler
We got the twin beds because we thought they would be easier to make and for getting up at night. We were wrong.
Making any bed that is against a wall is difficult. Add to that the hanging closet that is over the end of each twin bed and the complications grow.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 08:09 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Tonka Bay
Double by default

Most of you that bought fairly new had a choice to make. We didn't by buying vintage and best opportunity that came along. The '71 Tradewinds came in two styles--a twin bed arrangement and a slide out double with a wardrobe closet and dresser on the other side of the aisle. We ended up with the slide out double which has to be made up every day into a couch. The extra storage seems rather nice.
2015 Sprinter Class B Camper Van
(Former 1971 vintage Airstream Owner)
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 07:56 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member
1985 25' Sovereign
St Cloud , Minnesota
twins vs queen

Davydd you are on the money. Those of us that did not buy new and looked for the best deal did not have quite the same opportunity as the new buyers. We ended up with rear twins in our 25 ft. I agree that they can be a pain to make up, but I like the openess of the trailer. As for that other stuff... you just have to be a little creative.

If we happen to get another/new unit we will probably try to get a free standing queen.
WBCCI #7528
MN Unit
pyanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 07:21 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

I was somewhat concerned when we acquired our 85 Sovereign with the corner bed (I am 6'4"). Turns out this is a very comfortable arrangement. I wish Airstream had continued this floorplan with contemporary models.
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 07:56 PM   #24
Rivet Master
"I was somewhat concerned when we acquired our 85 Sovereign with the corner bed... I wish Airstream had continued this floorplan with contemporary models."

Alan, they only sold the two of them - yours and mine.

Seriously though, it is easy for me to see why they were never popular. Very few people would look at that floorplan and see past the corner bed to the incredible storage it offers. Having said that, it would be an even better floorplan now with the wide bodies. The mattress could be six inches wider.

In ours, a previous owner who was similarly altitude suplimented removed the credenza at the back to get even more room to stretch out. When I built the new cabinetry I did not even consider replacing it as there is just enough room to step back into the corner to make up the bed.

j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 08:01 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member
"Altitude supplimented", I like that one! I hope you don't mind if I borrow it?
stuart2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 09:10 PM   #26
NEU Past President
1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
My husband and I are both 47 years old and we have twin beds in our Excella. It was my parent's rig (and they purchased it used) so it's not like we had a choice in the matter. But, I'll be the first to say I think it's a good configuration for us. My husband has a C-Pap machine and the nightstand (and plug) make it's usage easy. I can pile as many covers on my bunk as I want to keep warm and my husband can sleep soundly with only one sheet on his bunk. I've got an egg crate mattress pad on my bunk as I found the mattress to be too hard for my liking and my husband's bunk does not as he found the mattress to be just right. Also, I like the storage the twin layout provides and I like how open the bedroom feels. Plus, sometimes my sister stays with me instead of my husband and we both have our own bed without having to fold out the livingroom couch (bonus!).
Michelle & Leon
New England Unit

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 06:06 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member
1975 29' Ambassador
1960 18' "Footer"
Belen , New Mexico
We bought our Ambassador with twins and my husband (he's so handy!) converted it to a full. We could have fit a queen but it would've taken up the whole room! The full size bed is enough room for the both of us but also left room to get around it. Then again, ours is a bigger trailer and we might have more room to work with than a Safari.
So, just as an idea - you may want to check out a full-size.

M&J Siegford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 06:26 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member
2005 19' Safari
West Palm Beach , Florida
Does anyone use their Bambi as big twin beds? Someone gets to sleep on the big 48" twin corner bed and the other gets to sleep on the pullout sofa big twin, or, the fold down dinette big twin?

Stephen & Miriam
2005 Bambi Safari 19 LS with Sofa
2006 Harley-Davidson Road King Custom
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD QuadCab SRW Long Bed
Sir Wooferman Wellington, Cock-a-poo Watch Pup
DreamStream is offline   Reply With Quote