Old 09-07-2017, 11:29 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Full-time traveling , Hmmmm. what day of the week is it?
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Sorry no advice to offer, consult office possibly.

BTW Dreher island is a favorite of ours.

Gary. about 90 miles east of you.
Gary, if you are 90 miles east, then you are much closer to the coast than we are. What are your plans?

We also love this campground. Today it is 72 degrees and BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!

JBBeaubeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:57 AM   #16
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Shelter in place and do the best I can. My AS is in backyard under a strong double wide carport shelter. We do have some supplies, a Honda 3000 and the AS will be charged up, full of water and propane. Our "pod".

We're not hurricane veterans, local knowledge from experienced may be best advice.

Palmetto cove Cleveland sc is having the low country rally this weekend, about 100 miles NW up 26. I bet they would have space but call. and top of Georgia might be one to check on too.

S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:12 PM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Shelter in place and do the best I can.
I'm a hurricane veteran, and right up to the day I retired from the Corps of Engineers, my philosophy vis--vis "bug out" versus "hunker down" was to hunker down for a Cat3 or less, bug out for anything higher. But that's when I was tasked with doing post-hurricane damage assessments as soon as possible after a storm. For example, I was sent into the area affected by Hurricane Rita before the floodwaters had completely receded, and had to drive through standing saltwater as deep as the running boards on my SUV to reach some of the sites I had to survey.

Now that I'm retired, my philosophy is to bug out for a Cat1 or higher. At the very least, one can expect power outages, loss of services, delays in restocking shelves in stores, etc. There are plenty enough people who can't leave who need to take priority for post-storm aid.

I believe it's better that those who can get out do get out, even if they're not personally in any physical danger, even if it's only to avoid adding to the burden for those involved in recovery efforts. Unless of course you're responsible for giving care to those who can't leave, or for providing post-storm emergency or recovery services (fire, police, electrician, etc.) and need to stick around as long as you're not endangering life and limb.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

I don't have an anger management problem. I manage to remember exactly what everyone has done to make me angry!
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:13 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Corpus Christi , Texas
Hurricane

Our AS was not damaged, but in my opinion LEAVE. People who stayed said they would never do it again. North Padre was spared, Port Aransas and Rockport demolished. Everything can be replaced, but life can't.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:00 PM   #19
Old Sailor

1983 34' Excella
Victoria , Texas
I live about halfway between Victoria and Cuero, Texas. On Friday before Harvey hit, I heard forecasts of 80 to 100 mph winds for our area and decided to take the dog and the Airstream and bug out. I went north of San Antonio to Guadalupe River State Park where they were welcoming evacuees by not charging any fees to stay in the park. Once the storm was over, I waited three days because the state highway website indicated that there was no way to get to my house because all the roads in were flooded.

Finally, on Thursday I decided to try to get there and my GPS found an alternate route down county roads and pig paths so I left the trailer in the park and drove down to assess the damages. There were shingles missing, fences blown down and trash everywhere but the most startling thing I saw was between Victoria and my house. I saw three SOB trailers lying on their sides and one completely upside down. I was really glad I left.

In talking with a neighbor, I determined that the electricity had been out for three days and had just come back on the day before. I went back to the park that day and the next day hooked up and went home. Those totally trashed SOB trailers sure made a believer out of me. My advice would be - DON'T RISK IT ... GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN.

Mac
"Mollie Bug" The Boston Terrier
WBCCI #4456 - Born to Cruise
McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:05 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
I talked with a guy at Gulf State Park a few years ago (before I bought my first Airstream) and he told me of a storm in which a nearby fifth-wheel was overturned by the wind. Apparently an old guy in a 25' AS, parked nearby, didn't even wake up during the storm. My guess is that it didn't move much. I ain't swearing this is true, but I never caught the feller in a lie! ;-)
Old 09-07-2017, 07:44 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
St Lawrence , Pennsylvania
Here is a design I did years ago for a client trailer 9ft H and 24 ft L with two cables, one over the axle behind the wheels.

To negate uplift, I had 3 ft high Jersey barriers surround the trailer.

The ground anchor manufacturers have pullout force for different soils.

The tip over force for 110 mph wind was 37,000 lbs.

That was probably more shoving than turn over.

You could also tie down plywood built into triangular shapes instead of Jersey barriers - just prevent the wind from getting under the trailer.

Subtract the weight of the trailer and contents, and you just need to have enough anchors and strong enough cable.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:32 PM   #22
"Space A" S/O Registry 11

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
FWIW, my Streamline, with the same side curvatures as SilverStreak, survived winds in excess of 93 Knots (107 mph). How do I know that? It was at Offutt Air Force Base, Omaha, NB. parked in the RV storage yard next to the Weather station anemometer for the base. The wind indicator failed at that speed. There was a square trailer two spots left of mine and a boat parked next to me. The trailer turned over on the boat, but my trailer was left untouched and upright. I felt very fortunate, but I believe the curved side kept the air mass in the wind from getting a 'hold." In other words, the air streamed over the edges rather than catching. Once again, when in Colorado, we had a mountain wind of 90 knots, forecasted to come down the leeward side of the Rockies. Our camping spot was right there. All I knew to do was to hitch up the trailer, put the jacks under the corners, close the windows, vents, rock guard, and ride it out. We did and the trailer shook like hell but, no upset. These experiences were in a 23' Duchess that weighed 3660# empty. I believe this trailer would do better with the extra weight from the slide out. It Grosses at 11,500#.
guskmg
Old 09-07-2017, 09:46 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Mobile , Alabama
As I indicated in my first post, I think turnover is the least of the worries of an Airstream in a hurricane. Storm surge is an issue but the biggest issue is wind driven projectiles. A piece of debris driven at 100 mph will go right through the inner and outer aluminum skin. There comes time that trailers have to be left behind to attend to family or other property (like mine during Ivan) and I hope that the purpose of the original post was to try to get some reassurance in that situation. It would be beyond fool hardy to try to ride out a hurricane in a trailer, even at the extreme edges of the storm, if there is any to avoid it. Best to take care of yourself and family and hope for the best and know you have insurance for the worst.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:16 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
As others have stated, wind driven debris is more likely to do damage than wind caused turnover. A 100 MPH wind directly into a 100 sq ft flat vertical surface creates about 2,500 lbs of pressure.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:25 AM   #25
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
There was a square trailer two spots left of mine and a boat parked next to me. The trailer turned over on the boat, but my trailer was left untouched and upright.
I believe your good fortune was equally due to the "square trailer" serving as a windbreak even after it rolled over onto the boat. Never underestimate the importance of having a windbreak!
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

I don't have an anger management problem. I manage to remember exactly what everyone has done to make me angry!
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:34 AM   #26
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
..... We do have some supplies, a Honda 3000 and the AS will be charged up, full of water and propane. Our "pod".
Hi

Before the storm gets there, shut off the propane at the tank(s). If you do get a weird debris impact issue that messes with a gas line, you don't want the trailer to turn into a bomb.

Bob
Old 09-08-2017, 04:09 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
My trailer was hit by a tornado that took most of the trees out of my yard but the trailer was fine although with a few more dings. It tore the street side awning off of it even though it was rolled up. The front of the trailer moved a few inches. The trailer was more or less parallel to the wind so that helped it some. Square box trailers got rolled. My 68 Dodge van in the yard got rolled. Main thing is tie it down as much as possible. Get it away from trees.

Perry
Old 09-08-2017, 04:51 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I agree with the "it depends" answers. There's too many variables.
Wind direction in relation to the AS, stabilizers down? Buildings and trees nearby? Natural wind chutes?