Old 10-27-2006, 02:07 PM   #1
Rivet Master
1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
How much of an addiction do we all have!

We all have expressed the word Alluminitus and addictions to our beloved silver bullets. My family thinks it is so funny when Christmas, Birthday's or any gift giving holiday's come along because all I ask for is something for the Airstream. Last Christmas I wanted an orbital polisher just a small one for waxing jobs, Birthday a set of Pinky and Dinky pink flamingos, this Christmas a fantastic fan.
Today I worked at my son's school so the students were working on a Latin test and I was making a list of things I need for the Airstream and thinking how all my sub. teaching money was fixin to come in handy.
Use to before the stream came along I would go and have my nails done once a week now I just look at them and wonder how long before the por wears off.

75 Sovereign (Peppy)
03 Chevy HD (lil Peppy)
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 02:15 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
uhh Becky,
They do make custom colored POR so maybe you could get some in a nice shade of pink for the nails I have lists and lists of stuff that I want/need for my bad habits and in extreme cases I buy stuff and tell someone to give it to me for a present Right now all my money is tied up in my wife's bridal shop endeavor however I think the payback is just around the corner

__________________ many little time...
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 03:43 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
1978 31' Excella 500
Harmony , Pennsylvania
I don't even have one yet, and I clearly have it bad. My husband (who doesn't know anything about this forum) told me the other day that I must have been bitten and infected by a flying airstream bug.

He pictured a small silver bug with wings, looking like an AS, of course.
wannaroam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 04:07 PM   #4
1953 17' Clipper
1969 18' Caravel
Merlin , Oregon
We must be kindred spirits. I'm sitting here at work checking Airstream Forums (my husband also doesn't know anything about). I already jotted down some Christmas list ideas this morning of Airstream related things and I've been trying to hide my hands all day because of the Vulkem under the nails and silver POR-15 from the weekend's projects
robnrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 06:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1968 26' Overlander
1967 26' Overlander
Lisle , Illinois
I guess I have it bad too. I even have Aluminum toy trains!

I find it amusing how so many women hide this "habbit" from there hubbies.
Tedd Ill
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
1967/8 Overlander International Twin w/ bunk/s.
Yes, four kids and two adults in the thing.
Happy wife, happy life.
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 07:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I'm in there with all of you! I have blue paint under my nails right now. Just put in a new beltline & painted the rivets. I hate to sew, but just bought a sewing machine to make new curtains for Bessie. (Something to do in the winter). My husband peeks every once in a while to see what I'm doing w/the laptop. He says I'm talking to the airheads! The family thinks I'm quite insane, however, I too am obsessed!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 07:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master
1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
I can identify

I realized about 4 weeks after my Tradewind acquisition that my mind was centering around all things aluminum and Airstream. This can't be healthy, can it? At a recent antique auction I agressively outbid a dealer for a box lot all because it contained a couple of 1940's hammered aluminum trays. "Hey, those would be great in the Airstream!" I'm now begging for OT at work so I can feed my habit. Christmas wish list? A Honda 2000 of course.
Traveling With Elvis
life with a 1956 Sovereign of the Road

Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 08:32 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member
2006 19' Safari
Suisun City , California
It feels SO, SO Good!!!

I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas day. I pick up my Airstream on Friday! For now, I have to "settle" for reading my stack of AirStream Life magazines. I am amazed at all the models, the rich history, the creativity of people, and the "characters" profiled. I love, love, love looking at the restorations. The helpful tips on watching eBay auction items (and other sites) for ripoffs, the listing of dealers, etc. are likewise news to use.

We are taking the trailer out this weekend for a two day shakedown. I am taking the magazines too. What do they call it, "bauxitism?"

Whatever it is, I have it really bad.

Jerry and Avis
2006 Safari Bambi 19'
2005 Toyota Tacoma PU

"Mi Casa Es Su Casa!"
WBCCI #6716
AIR #17388
Roscinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 06:27 AM   #9
We can tow it!
1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Nice thread Becky!

Remember that song by Andy Williams for Love Story? "Where do I begin to tell a story..."

Oh I think there's medicine for what I've got as far as Airstreams go... but I won't take it!! So I'm just going to keep hanging around the forum for my fix/support group.

It does make it easier on us up here in the cold regions to plan for the camping season and work on the trailer. Right now I don't have paint on my fingers but we are figuring out how many little vents to have in a box over the univolt/batteries as we work on the dinette. And how do you keep some storage but not let it get too hot. Now if I'd thought 10 years ago that I'd be worrying about something like this now I might have taken that medicine/therapy now it just seems like something important to consider, besides reading all the great threads here...
Steph in MI Air# 6996-
I Hockeytown USA!!
tin sista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 06:46 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I'm amazed to see that lots of you are women. My husband knows about this forum, but he has never posted to it. When I tell him what I've learned, mostly what he's doing wrong with the Argosy, he just smiles at me. I bought the Argosy, I did the interior, I bought the equalizing hitch, I bought the Tundra and I get my husband to do the hard stuff like rivets and flooring. Now, all of you who are feeling sorry for poor Bob, he says it's the best thing I could have done. We have a lot down at the lake that he now loves because the "Twink" (Argosy) is sitting down there. He says it's the most peaceful place he has even known and he can't wait for retirement so we can take the Argosy out on the road. We have key chains, shirts, books, you name it. You can't find a lot of Argosy things; however, we settle for the Airstream name and put up with the aluminum colored stuff when we have to. We're hooked out here in Oklahoma. By the way, we're still camping in the Southwest.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 06:47 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Here we are last week end at the lake. Well, here's Bob.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0382.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	27813  
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 08:07 AM   #12
Rivet Master
1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
I'll admit, I started creating my Christmas shopping list the other day, and listed right along with relatives, friends, and cats, were Sparky and Boris.

No grime under my fingernails right now, but in the past I have had to explain speckles of silver Por-15 on my face and arms to people at work. They just smile and nod - nice of them to humor me.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 12:37 PM   #13
Mom scared by aluminum
Currently Looking...
Phoenix , Arizona
Speaking of gifts, which wedding anniversary is "aluminum?"
Dave and Joanne
1963 Flying Cloud
2005 Silverado 4x4 3/4 Ton
dmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 12:52 PM   #14
Rivet Master
1967 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Mosheim , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
AAA--Airstream Addictions Anonymous

I bought my first Airstream as a way to make a quick buck. I turned a $1500 dollar investment into $3000 dollars in only six months. Next, I found the lonely Bambi II sitting in a barn with mice as tenants. The little old lady said it was for sale, and this began the collecting addiction. I also have a 12 x 28 building stacked to the ceiling with parts, appliances , etc, that I just might need someday. I am an accumulator.

Kevin with Baity the Lab/Pointer
//------AIR # 7303------\\
WBCCI 17109
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote