Old 07-29-2005, 10:44 PM   #1
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
How much did you spend restoring your AS?

Im looking to purchase a 60ish 22-26 foot airstream. I am wondering what the average person in this situation has spent restoring their unit.

General Disarray
AKA rodney

Old 07-29-2005, 10:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Oakdale , Minnesota
Great question:

Please also indicate the starting state of your trailer....shell only, just as well have been shell only, shell + half original, shell + original

Please also add the end state ... still working, fixed it only enough to use, could have worked for the Airstream Factory with all of the work I did

"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 10:52 PM   #3
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Short answer? Nothing. I've only started on my '73. Longer answer? I expect to spend four to five thousand dollars in toto. I don't want to get too extravigant, but I do want it to be comfortable and pleasing. That seems to be in line with others on the forum depending, of course, on the original condition of the trailer.

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 10:56 PM   #4
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
what was tjhe starting point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
Short answer? Nothing. I've only started on my '73. Longer answer? I expect to spend four to five thousand dollars in toto. I don't want to get too extravigant, but I do want it to be comfortable and pleasing. That seems to be in line with others on the forum depending, of course, on the original condition of the trailer.

So what condition did you start from? (and what did you pay for that). What are your major plans?

Rodney
Old 07-29-2005, 10:58 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

As of right now we have $2000.00 in restoring the inside. Still have about $500.00 more to go on it. The outside hasn't been touched yet. We will have to get axles next year. We still have a ways to go, but I am having a ball redoing the AS. It's just addictive, so have fun.

Dawn
Old 07-29-2005, 11:14 PM   #6
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
hmmm

I'm still shopping but I figure on 1K for an axel, 2K refer and heat, 500 for a sweet floor, new bed and relace padding in goucho . But in a couple years a classic . Priceless

General Disarray
Old 07-30-2005, 12:00 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Rodney, I have spent just over 6k. I am done with all the major purchases of supplies, parts, and appliances. I started with an all original badly neglected 17ft Caravel. Ended up gutting it because of a really bad mouse infestation and termite infestation.

I will end up with a mostly new solid AS for 10k, 20k less than a new one.

Chris
Life is a journey, not a destination
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 01:30 AM   #8
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
I have kept a seperate budget category in quicken for my Airstream stuff. I kept track of every thing including stainless steal screws....

I have $6821 into it so far. Still need a zip dee awning, and maybe a new furnace. Old one works but I don't really trust it and we don't really need one anyway.

That $7k does NOT include the purchase price btw. It does include taxes, registrations, tools like the cyclo, basically anything that I had to spend that I wouldn't if I did not have the trailer.

But I do find myself at the point where there isn't anything to do on it. I have been tinkering with it for the past five years that I can't believe its done. So I find myself going out and opeing the door just to make sure there's nothing to do
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 02:06 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
I'm no where near "done", actually I'm at the beginning, but I have an excel spread sheet that predicts I'll spend something like $10k when complete, which includes original price of trailer, all new "systems", new floor, new interior . . .

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 06:32 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
You mean you actually get "done" with this. I don't have a spread sheet or an itemised list of all I have spent; but I think it's been at least $2000.00, including the toys I've bought my husband to work on it. You know when you get this one close to the way you want it, YOU START LOOKING FOR ANOTHER! Is there a twelve step program for us?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	13653   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	13654  

Old 07-30-2005, 07:07 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
As you can see, you can spend anything you want. I've seen trailers people called "restored" that had as little as $500 invested. And I know several people who have spent in excess of $20k to restore their trailer. (They won't be posting here to admit it.)

For serious restorations, few people seem to come in under $6k unless they've got a really cherry trailer to start with. And I've noticed that few people really keep track of the expenses accurately. It's often a bit too painful!

There's another thread out here where I talked about the true cost of a full restoration. We've also itemized every bolt and pint of POR-15 on the Project Vintage Thunder page at http://www.airstreamlife.com/vintagethunder , which may be helpful to you.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 07:24 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Go Salukies! My wife attended C'dale.

Anyway, we just got ours home last week and are just in the planning stages. Im hoping to get our '67 Overlander done for <$10K.

Project list looks a little something like this:

New subfloor, rust proof frame, new "complete" axles, wheels, new plumbing and electrical, new LP tanks, replace bellypan, flooring, rebuild refer and polish.

Plus I still need to pour a slab to park it on the side of the house and extend an existing block wall down one side
Old 07-30-2005, 10:46 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
1975 26' Argosy restored

Hello everyone.. we have the above and we are nearly finished with it.. only thing left is a new AC and front window guards.. floor replaced in the front, new flooring..new curtains and upholstery,fantastic fans, new lighting, intellipower with charge wizard, new battery, tires,shocks,brakes, breakaway, electric jack,new plumbing, new LP tanks and custom cover,new exterior lights .. and a brand new paint job. Had a Zipdee patio awning and rear awning put on.. This trailer is going out on its maiden voyage tomorrow.. I am digressed from the post.. we have $6500 Canadian in ours now not including purchase price AND my hubby did the body work and paint job... that is his trade.. I forgot the new underbelly and LP lines. Will post pics after our getaway .. Marvin and Annie
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 08:59 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
1975 Excella 500

My wife and I are about 1 year into restoring our Excella 500. We were pretty fortunate since this TT was in pretty good shape when we purchased it. So far we've got about $2000 into it overall. This includes having the axles inspected/pulled to replace all of the shocks and wheel bearings. We've pulled out the nasty old carpet and replaced with a floating pergo floor. I've also rebuilt the kitchen counter, replaced the fittings and put in a new stove.

We also have a flat screen TV, CD player with Satellite radio. Our next project is to replace the curtains and than I'll start polishing it this fall. The great thing of living near San Antonio is that I'll have most of the winter to strip and polish the AS. Wish us luck!!!