Old 04-27-2003, 05:07 PM   #15
79 SLY
1979 31' Sovereign
Fairview , Montana
We are spoiled. We put the kids in the pickup camper on our tow vehicle and we have the 31' to ourselves. Our 9 year old boy is in scouts, so often we set up his tent for him (he has not wanted to do it in the Theodore Roosevelt North Unit since he woke up surrounded by buffalo), but the girls would not sleep on the ground! And they have their own bathroom!

The Trumpowers
1979 SLY 31'
1979 GMC 4 door with s/c camper shell
trumpwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 02:16 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
1986 31' Sovereign
Lenox , Georgia
Our Sovereign is plenty big enough.....

but the set-up is not the best when our 15-year-old son wants to include a friend. We take the rear bunks which we prefer. The boy is fine on the front couch/bed. However, now that he is older, he prefers taking a friend along, which most parents will understand is usually agreeable. He is too big to share the bed, which puts either himself or a friend on the floor. Have you ever tried to get teenagers out of bed in order to enjoy a cup of coffee in the morning? The alternative is to turn the back bedroom over to the boys, and we share the front couch/bed. It is a little too small for ideal comfort, plus I can't remember the last time you could get two boys to go to bed early enough to accommodate the parents privacy. Seldom is there a perfect solution. On the other hand, we will have the mint trailer for years, and the boy will want to go his own way long before we wish him to go.

joe hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 02:32 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
This information is great! We're planning on camping with our two small daughters and I've been curious about what size trailer works best for the family. Would any of you care to start another thread on the best camping places for kids and families? I've only read a little about some of the not-so-good ones.

Thanks again for sharing this information.
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 09:41 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Thumbs up Perfect solution...

Two 15 year old boys....I say bring along a small tent for them!

Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 08:32 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
2003 22' International
Waverly , Pennsylvania
My six year old and I go camping in our 22’ International AS and we've had some great times camping together. I generally sleep on the bed in the front of the trailer and we convert the dinette for my child. When we have someone else along, the guest gets the dinette and my child and I share the bed.

This works out for now, but in the future I think that the trailer will comfortably accommodate just the two of us. I have been considering my options. At that time I will probably have to consider moving up to a 25’ trailer with twin beds. I really don’t want to do that since I really love the layout of the AS, especially the kitchen. That also necessitates the purchase of a different tow vehicle, but we’ll see when that time comes.

nayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 10:02 PM   #20
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
We got our 345 so we could go family camping and traveling. Three kids (3,4,8) and two dogs. Love the floorplan of the 345. Two girls on the fold out couch, my son on the dinette, the dogs will sleep anywhere and Suz and I in the back queen. My son is already asking about taking a friend and I think we could make it work.

Looked at many many new RV's but just loved the look and quality of the AS's.
Steven Webster
1986 Airstream 345 Classic Motorhome
AIR 1760
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 07:25 AM   #21
Rivet Master
1968 26' Overlander
1967 26' Overlander
Lisle , Illinois
I'm not far off the mark with 59 Toster.
Have a 28 foot that will house the Wife and I on the front goucho (made 10 inches wider) and the kids 9(b) , 7(g) on the street side bunks and 2(b) and the player to be named later on the curb side bunks.
Our trrailer was originaly set up with a full on the street side only, but that will be changed to the four bunks. 6 of us in a 28 footer may be tight, but thats ok, arn't you sapose to be out side anyway????
Tedd Ill
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
1967/8 Overlander International Twin w/ bunk/s.
Yes, four kids and two adults in the thing.
Happy wife, happy life.
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 12:39 PM   #22
Rivet Master
1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Ted, you are not far from your oldest boy insisting he is ready to camp in his "own tent" while the rest of you are in the trailer. We too had four kids, and one by one, they all claimed tenting rights. It's that teen independence thing! Sometimes the two oldest, boys, would agree to share a tent, and the same for the two youngest, girls, but I remember one camping trip when four small tents surrounded us! Yes, I'd pop out to do checks once in a while during the night, but they stayed safe and sound. So, relief may be just ahead!
1995 Airstream Classic Limited 30' ~ Gypsy
1978 Argosy Minuet, 6.0~Minnie/GPZWGN
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 05:00 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member
We have a '78 31 footer with middle twins. We do fine with our 8 and 5 year old. They take the twins and my wife and I take the fold out sofa in front. I have gone with my fishing buddy and his two boys and my son. He and I take the twins and the boys share the foldout and a blow up mattress on the floor. I do know we wonder what we'll do when the kids want to start taking friends. Someone suggested to me the other day getting some sort of tent attachment that fastens to the trailer and makes an extra room out the door. Said it worked for him for years until a storm blew it apart. I also saw an ad for parts to make your twins into bunks on the net a year or so ago, but can't find anything on it now. Has anyone ever heard of this? We have friends who just bought a 31' non-Airstream with 4 bunks in the rear, a queen up front, and a big super slide. My wife looks at this and goes "hmmm". I really don't want to trade but know I need to come up with a solution for taking more kids. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Zmod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 06:35 PM   #24
Still Working
1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina

There is an article on this very subject in this months Blue Beret Called "Growing Pains"

Did you see it?

smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 09:21 PM   #25
Rivet Master
My son is 7 and camping and fishing is our main summertime activity. However, we arn't crowded because it is only he an I.
Just adding my 2˘ worth

John G
1975 31ft Sovereign International
........Rear Bath Double Bed Model
Tow Vehicle:1999 GMC Serria SLE Classic 1500 5.7Ltr
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 01:23 AM   #26
7 people in 21 foot sovereign

We have 7 in our 21 ft sovereign. Kids are 2,3,7,9 and 11. The 3 oldest sleep on the couch, the 3 yr old sleeps under the couch, my wife and I sleep in the twin bed in the rear and my wife wedged a piece of 1/2 inch plywood above the twin as a bunk bed for the baby. It's a bit tight but it has worked so far. I'm sure it will break down as the kids put on some size. I will try to send some photos of the improvised bunk later. I have also considered a nylon hammock stretched over the sleeper sofa.
together in Kentucky,
__________________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 03:23 PM   #27
Rivet Master
2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Wow! I can't beat that, dik! 7 people in a 21' Sovereign. Have you likened your AS to a 21' Sardine Can?
We have a 22' 2004 CCD for the 4 of us. I couldn't think of adding any more people in there. We learned that our 2 daughters, ages 11 and 8 don't do well sleeping next to each other on the dinette bed. They're always picking at each other. So my wife sleeps with our oldest on the dinette bed and the youngest sleeps in the front bed with me. It's cozy, but when we sleep head to toe, instead of shoulder to shoulder we have more space.
We always remember that in our case, our trailer is a temporary living situation that allows us to go places that we wouldn't be able experience otherwise and that helps us make do.

Bob Eagle

rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote