Old 10-11-2006, 08:44 AM   #29
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Our first purchase: We looked at loads of SOBs and then stumbled on AS. Then we looked high and low for a used one. We only actually LOOKED as a handful, as we just couldn't find any! We looked at a neighbors minuet - but it was not for sale. We looked at a mid seventies Avon that was billed as an AS, we drove to S. CAL on a memorable round trip marathon to look at a junker Argosy 24 - walked away after 5 minutes and a 2 day drive.

Our Second purchase was an impulse! We saw it listed on ebay and only 2.5. hours up the road. We called the owner on a Sunday at 2PM, drove up to Spokane and closed the deal before dinner. He graciously agreed to end the auction early. Funny how Airstreams appear when you aren't really looking for them!

1964 Overlander | '08 Touareg V6
Current Project: 1964 Globetrotter

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 10:42 AM   #30
Rivet Master
2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
We bought a new one after looking at 6 or 7 AS from 19' to 30' and hundreds of SOB's at 2 RV shows. Drove to the factory TWICE - once before buying and that sold us, and once to see OURS on the production line.

Steve & Susan
WBCCI# 03876
AIR# 6511
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 01:00 PM   #31
Rivet Master
1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
We searched on Travel In Style and Airstream Forums and Ad Digest all on internet. Searching for two years. Airstream is unknown in New York State. We found some but could not take the time to drive 2 to 3,000 miles.

We finally located one on internet about 100 miles from us. We were lucky. Needed some work. We purchased it in July 2006 and are still working. We wanted something small 19 or 20ft. The one we found now named Aria Ruscello is a Globetrotter 20ft. Anne
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 02:44 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
How many did you look at?

When I decided that it was time to purchase an Airstream, I knew that it was going to be an older previously owned unit and that meant a relatively long search in 1995. My search spanned approximately nine months, covered six states, with trips to inspect 30 Airstream trailers from model years 1957 through 1982. My shortest inspection trip was 80 miles one-way, and the longest was just in excess of 700 miles one-way. These were the days before the explosion of interest in restoring Vintage Airstreams so I encountered few (only three) that were truly great dissappointments due to condition being much below that described either in advertisements or via the owner. This was also the during the time before the Internet became a prime resource for such searches so most of my finds were via local newspapers and trader publications. I suspect that subconsciously, I was searching for the Airstream that would replicate the one that I went on my first camping trip in as a five-year-old as I passed on at least two attractively priced early 1980s coaches that were floorplans that I could live with and in excellent condition. The 30th coach that I inspected turned out to be that coach -- the '64 Overlander that I still own today (and by some strange quirk of coincidence, I learned months later that it was the coach that I remembered from 1964).

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote