Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community

Old 06-19-2010, 11:42 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member
1969 27' Overlander
Sunny Skies , Rockies
2 years.
I suggest you do all the research you can in the mean time as well as prepare accordingly. Make sure your towing vehicle is adequate. Then decide on the size as well as new vs. used.
Lastly and most importantly; airstream has a "sense of adventure" attached to its image and most people get the bug by romanticizing about their travels, etc.
That said, make sure you incorporate the "unplanned" or "unexpected" aspect of the adventure into your expectations. You may break down or run into issues, but this is part of it and should be embraced. You never know who you'll meet and what stories you will have to tell.
Cheers and good luck

Marcello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:44 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member
2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
Less than two months.
Saw a Flying Cloud at the Atlanta RV show in January. Knew we wanted an Airstream.
Discovered the early CCD line a few days later on line and knew it was the style we wanted.
Spent a month checking the internet and making calls.
Realized the unit listed in our state was the best price and the best unit for us.
Drove 150 miles and picked it up.
We take it out monthly and absolutely love it!

Bird's Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:18 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member
1999 23' Safari
Austin , Texas
On the fence for years! Then one day a single sentence Craigslist ad peaked my interest. No picture just a phone number. When I called it was a dealer trying to move a used unit so the owner could buy a new one. Both dealer and owner where in a hurry! I got a great deal!
Charlie M
Chasmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:36 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member
1956 16' Bubble
Dallas , Oregon
1 year--i started out thinking about building a teardrop--then buying a canned ham, then buidling a canned ham, then getting a stripped out airstream to rebuild. this is where i ended up! take your time--you don't want a lemon or a rednecked facelift version. the more you look the more you learn. both on price and what model you want. but when you know what you want--have cash in hand and beat all of the out of state shoppers who really can't view it easily. I was lucky to find my 1956 bubble 70 miles from home! once i calculated the 3 grand extra it would cost to travel out of state and trailer back a cool 1948 wee wind that wasn't roadworthy--i jump on the local find. and consider this--a somewhat completed or original trailer that cost 10,000 grand that's ugly and problamatic as anything inside is not a better purchase than a good shell that you can rebuild to suite your tastes and level of perfection.

The best trailer for you is the best one you can afford, in the best condition you can afford, and in a current condition that you can complete on your own or live with as is. It's only money but debt will kill you in the end. only buy what you can afford--but the more you look the better shopper you are. cheers--ted
the544man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:40 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member
1956 16' Bubble
Dallas , Oregon
ps--be sure to use craiglook.com as well. it's an amazing tool that lets you search the entire United States in one click--or state by state. i was always searching for an engine like that. now you will have another site to waste even more of your time away as you do on airformus.com!! cheers--ted
the544man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:39 AM   #34
1 Rivet Member
2010 25' FB International CCD
Leesburg , Virginia
About six months

After walking through some new Airstreams at an RV show last Fall, we were hooked. Trouble was, we had just traded a 32' Class A Winnebago in for a 24' Class C Fleetwood Sprinter chassis. So we held off and kept towing a Subaru behind the Sprinter until this summer when we decided that we really wanted an Airstream.

Only one dealer near enough to us in Virginia, and they only had a couple on the lot. We ended up driving 240 miles to New Jersey to check out Colonial Airstream in Lakewood. Wow! They had about 80 units neatly lined up and ready for inspection. We ended up putting a deposit on a new 25' International Serenity. Plan to pick it up next month. I recommend Colonial if you are looking for a new unit. Ask for Patrick or his wife Lauren. They have a hard time keeping used ones around.

We had to go out and get our tow vehicle - a 2010 Toyota Sequoia. That should do a nice job with the Serenity. We can't wait to pick it up. Already have a two week trip planned for Yellowstone/Grand Tetons in September.
2010 25' International Serenity
2010 Toyota Sequoia
WBCCI 2515, TAC VA-9
Leesburg, VA
ChrisRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:30 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member
1963 19' Globetrotter
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Bolinas , California
about 3 days. I met my wife at burning man, married her 6 days later and moved to Washington state to be with her. as I was getting to know my wife I found out she had a bream of an airstream. As it so happened I also harbored similar feelings. We looked on CL and found our very own '63 Globetrotter. So we can say that we met, married, and bought our first house with in a month. I'm not an impulsive person in my life, it's just that some times things feel right and you go for them. Now back to the complete referb.
geoff evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:16 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
About 15 minutes, 3 years ago and hopefully we will camp in it for the first time this spring. Came in for lunch and like always looked at craigslist for interesting campers and saw our 54 cruiser, if only I would have known what a project it would be!
It's not worth doing if you're not having fun.

tinman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:30 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Connellsville , Pennsylvania
We've been looking for just shy of a year now with no luck finding just the right used one. Went to the dealer and looked at a few new ones this weekend. Man are they tempting.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:52 AM   #38
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
For my Airstream Interstate class B, about a month. I already knew I wanted a Sprinter-based class B, and had already looked at Roadtrek Adventurous and Winnebago Era. When I saw the Airstream Interstate, I did an analysis of quality vs. price to see if the extra quality of an Interstate was worth the extra cost. As soon as I decided that, yes, it was, I started negotiations.
WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:04 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member
1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
My wife (girlfriend at the time) and I looked at various RVs over a course of several years, and knew we wanted a higher end travel trailer or fifth wheel. Once we had the money, tow vehicle, and a place to store it, we began the actual shopping, which took only a few weeks.

During those few weeks we looked at a couple used white box trailers on dealer's lots but nothing really grabbed us. Then one day she brought home an RV trader magazine, this was pre-internet times, and mentioned there was an Airstream in it.

It was located several hours away, owned by a couple that had used it as a guest house for the fast few years. Well, you know how the story ends up, now it is ours. Best $7,000 I ever spent.

blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #40
Rivet Master
2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Less than a month. I knew I didn't have the skills to fix up an old one and couldn't afford a new one. I drilled down to the things the trailer HAD to have and resigned myself to a long search. Everyone said that if I found the exact one, leap on it, but don't worry if it gets away from you, there'll always be another. Was also starting to squirrel away funds for a TV as well, since the only vehicle I own is a VW Jetta TDI.

Then I ran across the CanAm website, realized I could tow with the Jetta, AND they had the exact trailer I wanted with all but one of the required bits. So I leapt.

We're on our way back from Canada with the Bambino in tow as I write -- well, we're having lunch in Hays KS at the moment. The rig is doing great! Pretty windy out right now, so we stopped to give my arms a rest.

So my advice is to know what you're looking for, and be ready to leap if the perfect AS suddenly shows up, but don't worry if you miss, because it'll all come together if you're staying open to all the possibilities and actively looking.
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #41
Rivet Master
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I probably spent a couple months. Maybe one month actually looking. It is a process that gets old and time consuming. I did not spend enough time because I got one with rear floor rot. However, research lead me in the direction of a rear bedroom model and that prevented me from having to do a complete gut and restoration.

perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member
2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
Not sure on AS as there were none to purchase like new

I know on boats i looked 5 years for alum fully kitted rig like new nothing showed up in my state. AS we were not really serious dealer had brand new bambi 16 40k and got us pumped up on them. 2 years go by and did search and low and behold a 16bambi I kid you not used ran over to look at it was first to inspect, bought it. That was even at dealership, unit would have been gone for sure. Now I am finding some quirks and improving unit.

starcraft is offline   Reply With Quote