Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community

Old 06-17-2010, 08:50 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
Searched every single day for just over one year!

Happy Trails!
Jezibels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:54 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
...as a matter of fact, the only two "for sale" trailers we ever looked at we bought!*

*Note to self...don't go to "just look" at any more "for sale" trailers...

Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:31 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member
2007 20' Safari SE
Montrose , Colorado
Twelve years of ho-humming about what type of campmobile would best suit our needs.
Five of those years stopping at every Airstream dealership we came across. Bingo! We loved the 20' Safari layout. Large enough to be comfortable, small enough to make our inevitable U-turns.
Four years serious discussions - every one ending with "20' Safari Airstream".
Two months of searching every source available before we found the Pony Keg. Had to drive to Florida, but we enjoyed every mile.
Pony Keg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:07 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
Stamford , Connecticut
I think I have the Silver Fever. I can't stop thinking of Airstreams. All I've been doing at work all week is looking them... Constantly checking eBay Motors, the classifieds, Craigslist. And I keep finding promising-looking Airstreams for sale in my area that are in my budget, and when I contact the seller, they tell me someone's already put a reserve on it! Is everyone else out there doing the same thing as me? Why is it so hard to even get to the "going to look at it" stage? Everyone keeps beating me to it!
- Aimee

*In the market for an Airstream in the 21'-28' range. Please contact me if you have something!*
AtomicKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:15 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member
Maybe 6 months...

My daughter told me about mine. But the seller wanted to sell old Lincoln and trailer as a Package - and with a price that would SCARE OFF anybody!!

I called and went 200 miles to visit. He was not able to use after a bad car accident and he was getting too old. But I spent a fair amount of time with him developing a relationship so that he would feel his *baby* would be in good hands.

Tried using the NADA price to get a better deal and he finally came down some, but said if any lower, he'd rather keep it. He had someone else in mind to sell the Town Car.

I came out with a recent coach that didn't need the extensive work that my gutted '63 Globetrotter needed. And it was much bigger. Only drawback was it's twins, but I have recently converted to a queen.

This was the first one that I really looked at but it was in pretty good shape.

Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:20 PM   #20

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
This time of year, springtime, everyone is dying to get out and enjoy the weather, there is no 'going to look at it' phase with Airstreams. It's very competitive to get your hands on one, especially if you're looking for a smaller one, which are very popular! If you wait until fall the market won't be as competitive. People will have said, ok, that's our last summer, lets put it up for sale. Buyers won't necessarily be thinking about camping. That's the time to shop around. But in the spring, if you go see something you like, you'd better jump on it!

Our second Airstream was a Bambi we saw for sale 6 hours away, called as soon as the ad came out and said we were coming up to buy it, sight unseen. Drove the 6 hours and the guy said he'd had a bunch of other calls who wanted it sight unseen, but we'd called first so he was a decent guy and held it for us - which I was grateful for because that was a long drive! But what a crazy thing to do, go spend a few thousand dollars without even had a look at it! Worked out though, it was a nice little trailer, just needed some TLC.

I have to say, our Caravel was kind of a fluke - we put up a wanted ad. The guy called us, we ran down and looked at it, he was asking more than we had wanted to spend but he showed us all the appliances working, so we shook on it right then and there. I thought I had probably overspent a bit, and a couple years later we had replaced half the floor, the axle, and most of the appliances. But you know what? It was still a good deal. I love that trailer!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:35 PM   #21
1968 22' Safari
edmond , Oklahoma
Zero time, the AS came to me.

We (me, wife, 2 teenage boys) were camping in a tent camper at a campground in CO. We met an elderly couple from Okla City with an AS. We became better acquainted and spent some evenings in the AS playing cards. It was always hard to go back to the tent camper since it was cold, damp, and dark.

Just by chance we met them at the same campground 2 more times in 2 more years. The second time while playing cards the gentleman announced that he was thinking of selling the AS since they were just getting too old to hitch and set up the AS. I said if you decide to sell it give me a call. A week later he called and we became the owners of a 1968 Safari 22 ft.

This was in 1988. I knew absolutely nothing about AS, but it looked great to me. Turned out it was in good shape with no major problems like floor rot.

We pulled it for several years with a 1985 Ford Crown Vic. Believe it or not the car did well and went all over CO passes. I pull it now with a 1997 F150.

Someone might say I looked for 3 years, but that is not true. I didn't even think about an AS until the gentleman said he might sell it.
Harleyyat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:15 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member
1986 32' Excella
St. Petersburg , Florida
We causallly looked for 4 years and seriously looked for a year (all over), and found our 86 Excella 32' when someone called a friend of theirs who lived outside of
Gainesville Florida, after reading a e-mail I sent questioning a AS for sale in La. The
owner was going to advertise soon, I drove up from St. Pete and bought the Excella
on the spot that day. "Stella" our Excella....
yenko302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:30 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member
1958 22' Flying Cloud
Saint Helena , California
I thought about it for about a year, then started looking. After 12 months, found the floorplan I wanted in a 58 Flying Cloud. Lots of ads in that time, but it was the only one that I actually set eyes on and touched.
"All things in moderation, including moderation"
- Mark Twain

bevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:51 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member
1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Smile One shops for these things??

Actually...we weren't shopping for one, unless you count that I have been shopping for one my whole life (yes...that is WHOLE life.) I grew up in Airstreams and always admired the older and smaller ones. So, the other month my wife says if I can find a vintage Bambi for $1000, I can buy it. We are driving home from the beach a few weeks later and I see an Airstream dealership with a '63 Bambi out front. The Jeep does a u-turn all by itself and I have to get out to look at it. I e-mail the owner who says, no, it is not for sale as it is their personal trailer and they tow it with their '63 T-Bird locally and use it for advertising in front of the RV dealership. Well, it worked. This one is not for sale, but he has a customer about twenty minutes away whose '64 Bambi II might still be for sale. And it is...for $1000. Two weeks later I take a trip with Dad down to see it (about an hour and a half) and he gives it his nod of approval. How can you go wrong with a '64 Bambi II Airstream even if it does need major frame repair, all appliances replaced (most likely) and cleaning of everything? It's only $1000! So now it sits in the driveway awaiting its moments of restoration. Which will take a while. This is our third camper...currently...and all of them need something. I guess sometimes the AS finds you.
PA BAMBI II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:58 AM   #25

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
6 long months

My inlaws came for a visit and wanted to look at 5th wheels (Montanas) so we took them out shopping for one. I didn't see anything I'd like but I thought it be fun to move up to a small trailer from tent camping. We don't have any AS dealers in KC but while I was looking online I ran accros the Swiss Army Ed AS and was blown away! I travel half the country for my job so I did a dealer search and stoped by the Chicago dealer to look at it. Hooked! I had to have it but the $60,000 price tag woul have made me single and broke! So I looked online for months and worked on my other half (didn't fall in love with the AS like I did) so I was going crazy not finding what we wanted for a price that we could afford without financing. In January I found the perfect 19' Bambi CCD. A 2006 perfect shape all the goodies wd hitch hoses cords tow mirrors even the flatware and dishes! It was only 2600 miles rt and barley used. So the po and I worked out a great deal (I have yo thank his wife for that) and I found a very nice inspector on here so I bought it sight unseen! Picked it up in March through snow and ice and I have to say I wouldn't have it any other way! Still addicted and love every minute of towing and camping!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:26 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member
2007 25' Classic
Port Angeles , Washington
I had admired them for decades, but was too busy with my career and businesses to take a close look. I retired at 53 and 7 years later things were calmed down enough to get serious about Airstreams.

I shopped for about 6 months, using the internet, THIS site and by telephoning dealers all over the country. 4 trailers were swooped out from under me and 3 deals fell apart for one reason or another.

On April Fools' Day of this year, we bought our trailer. We had found her 3 days before the purchase, placed a deposit down over the phone with a card and headed for the dealers, a 10 hour drive.

With the help of the knowledgeable and experienced good folks on this site, we have dealt with the minor bugs she came with. We are VERY happy with our Airstream.

I have only one regret..... I should have done this 10 years sooner. If I had, I would have focussed on Vintage trailers. Unfortunately, at 61, and due to health issues, I can no longer put the work into rebuilding such a beautiful work of art.... 10 years ago I could have and still had time to mow the lawns. ;>) Be that as it may... I feel like I have achieved one more dream, climbed one more mountain and found one more way to enjoy the adventure of life.

Shop 'till you drop... you will get there if you truly want to.
Gator113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:41 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member
1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
About fifteen minutes . Went to the swap meet one Saturday.Saw the Argosy looked at it for a little while original interior kind of rough shape and engine not running very good. Drove away from it went about three blocks turned around and put a deposit on it.
Gypsy Jo
1977 Argosy 28' Motor Home
Gypsy Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:32 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
Two years. We actually had a deposit on a Class A at an RV show in Tampa. Walked by our AS, fell in love, got our deposit back and put it on Belle, our Airstream baby. We kept hearing "you"ll know it when you see it"!

kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote