Old 08-06-2003, 08:09 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member
How is it to live with a 'wet bath' ?

Has anybody spent long periods living in an Airstream with a wet bath? How is it? What are the tricks of the trade?

just starting to search!
darkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 08:45 AM   #2
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim
1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
No Fun....

It's a real pain actually.

The wet bath is one of the things I would definately not get again. Although with a smaller vintage unit you may not have much choice.

We keep a squegee handy to rid the floor of water after the final shower.

Also, when leveling the trailer, try and level it down toward the shower drain. This will help the water go out during the shower.

We also got a second door mat to put on the floor of the bathroom during the day so in case its not dry, it won't get muddy.

Thats what we have been doing. It is a little work to keep it dry.

1960 International Ambassador 28'
2001 Silverado 2500HD CC 6.0L 4.10
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 09:22 AM   #3
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
It's one of the things that made me decide against the 22' International.

It all depends on lifestyle. For us, if we shower in there, we don't want to have to dry off the floor to go to the bathroom once we are all settled and have our socks on, etc.

So for me personally, dry bath is the way to go, as is the main bed in the back.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 09:47 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member
Its a bit of a pain. We wipe it down with a sponge
and then dry paper towels. We have a rug for the floor
for after. Works OK.

hhuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 10:13 AM   #5
1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Portola Hills , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
We have the wet bath in our Tradewind. It takes some getting used to, for sure.
We keep a towel for the shower pan, and it has not been a problem.
On the vintage units, the wet bath means more living space. I do not spend more than 30min in there a day, but spend much more time in the rest of the trailer, so it's not a big deal to me, or my wife. It's not like home, but it does not need to be for us. I have seen other tradewind models, with the separate bath/toilet, and there was a definite cramped feeling in the living area, and smaller windows in the front.
I gladly take the wetbath over the smaller front area.
Our remodel project, possibly this winter, will do away with the wet bath and put the bed in the rear, the toilet to the street side, and the shower to the curb side. We do not want to go bigger in size, so the 25ft. is perfect for us.
If you are very concerned with it, though, then perhaps a dry bath would be the way to go for you.
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 10:19 AM   #6
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim
1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
One positive thing about the wet bath on the vintage units, expecially, is a bigger shower area.

I have seen pictures of the tubs on other units and it seems that it would be hard to shower in it.

At least with a wet bath you get the entire bathroom to shower in.
1960 International Ambassador 28'
2001 Silverado 2500HD CC 6.0L 4.10
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 11:09 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member
1970 25' Tradewind
Cincinnati , Ohio
We have a separate shower in the rear bath of our '70 Tradewind but the way my hubby takes his showers, you could consider it a wet bath!!!
Herm and Debby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 11:13 AM   #8
1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Portola Hills , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Tim, I agree. Plenty elbow room and height. We got it down to a science, to where the toilet and sink barely get any drops of water on them.
It works the other way, too. It makes using the toilet less of a claustrophobic event. Plus, you got that huge window in the back, which will help tremendously in evacuating moisture from showering, as well as certain odors when using the "other" side of the wet bath.
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 12:03 PM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Our Caravel has a shower curtain that protects the sink and toilet from the shower area very well. When not showering, it's nice to have all that room to move around the sink and use the toilet. We also keep a bathmat in the shower pan so we don't walk on the fiberglass with our shoes, and set it outside the bathroom to step out onto after the shower. Works pretty good.

I think our vintage 'wet bath' is a lot roomier than the new CCD/Internationals are. That was my husband's main objection to the CCD when we looked at it - well, that and the price tag

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 03:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master
1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
you have to weigh the circumstances

what type of person are you? do you like to boon dock?....or stay at the park?.......and how many are there of you? you fill up a doorway like me? 2 cents worth is in a park always use the facillities....(cuts down on the number of times one has to dump)....besides....the water closet is only designed for anorexics and 2 centavos worth....norby
Illegitimous noncarborundum(dont let the bastards wear you down)

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 08:16 AM   #11
Rivet Master
2005 28' Classic
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
No problem at all ...

once I replaced the cheesy, crinkly, too small shower curtain A/S put in with a larger, softer curtain. I bought a fabric curtain at WalMart and transferred the slides from the old curtain plus 4 new slides I bought at the dealer. The slides are quite inexpensive.

The new curtain has little suction cups on the edges that stick nidely on the walls. It wraps around to completely cover the commode and washbowl. The only things that get wet are part of the streetside wall and the floor. Water shakes off the curtain leaving it dry enough to tie back. I use my foot to push the water into the drain and then wipe things down with a wad of paper towels or sponge. I put beck the rubber-backed rug cut from a big nathroom mat from Sams and all is go again. Hardly more work than trekking to a public shower. Like Stefrobrts, the rug goes outside the door to step on when leaving the shower.

I do sometimes use the public showers when they are better than average and convenient to my site. Also, if I have to conserve on tank capacity.

My take is, as little time as is spent in the shower vs the time spent in the rest of the trailer, I don't want to commit an bit more of the limited space in my trailer to the showering function than I absolutely have to.

For anyone interested, I will look up the SKU of my replacement curtain next time I hit WalMart.
John W. Irwin
2005 Classic 28 "Sabre-Dog III"
2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison LTZ
WBCCI #9632, TAC TX-10
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:54 PM   #12
Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Texas

In addition to the extra space to do your business provided
by the wet bath, its an added plus that you can do them all
at the same time! Heck you can throw a wall eyed fit, have
a seizure, have one of those episodes where you sneeze and
pass gas at the same time, anything you want in there! Then
just hose it all down when you're done & have regained your
composure. It's where I like to go when I hear my mother inlaw
is coming to visit. I have even heard that Paul McCartney
recorded the refrain on the end of "Hey Jude" in a wet bath!
It's the perfect place to just flip out to the max, and thats a real
selling point!
BenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:53 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member
1962 16' Bambi
Savannah , Georgia
I live full-time in a 1962 Bambi 16ft. The wet bath is surely an inconvenience, but after a while you just get used to it. I've also started to use public restrooms a lot more often when I am out and about. Sounds weird, but when you're living in such a small space and using a wet bath, well-kept public restrooms start to seem like a luxury. I turn a fan on and turn it toward the wet bath area, plus I leave the back window open to help it dry up after a shower.
female.nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:17 AM   #14
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The wet bath is a bit of a pain in the neck, but an absolute must-have when you are boondocking for a couple of days or dry camping in a NF site with no showers. We carry an extra hand towel which serves as a bath mat when you step out of the shower.

We almost always use the public showers at campgrounds and in the parks, and prefer sites that are close to the bathhouse. If they aren't as clean as we would like, we leave our flip-flops on. If it's got hot water and reasonably good water pressure, we are happy.

We like the unlimited hot water and room of a full size shower, but vastly prefer the hand-held in the wet bath to none at all when public showers are not available. Some folks can go days without showers, we just don't like to do that, and I, personally, have a head full of hair that sweats. After a couple of days, it has got to be scrubbed or I am very crabby.

Also, if you at times travel with small grandchildren, as we do , the hand-held shower in the RV is great for small bodies and shower-phobic little ones who don't like all that water in their face. Use it all the time on those li'l sweet things, even when larger facilities area available.

When we have to use the wet bath, we take the opportunity afterward to run really hot water behind and around the toilet, to clean it good.

As others have said, it depends on what you want and are willing to deal with. We will not tow, want to be small and self contained, and can go and stay anywhere in the Interstate, wet bath included.

Wouldn't have it any other way.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is online now   Reply With Quote