Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2005, 10:24 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Just remember, not all of these are big "silver" things. There are those cute twinkie colored ones too. Maybe not as many, but that just makes them more precious.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 02:32 PM   #22
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Pace
... I wondered what are some of the things you love about your trailer?
Our airstream is very comfortable ... allows us to travel full time in the 'lap of luxury' ... tows and handles great ... looks fantastic inside and out.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 03:29 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
My Biggest Yard Ornament

I am fast coming to realize that I am over extended on commitments and activities. I have had my Airstream for two years and have yet to hit the road. Also, I am still gainfully employed thus tethered to precious vacation days. So last year I expended them on Great Britain, a dream vacation that took me a decade to achieve, and this year is committed to Bolivia and Peru. Next year we are tentatively committed to an Alaskan kayak cruise and my brother wants to repeat our joint Great Britain venture in Italy. Then we try to fit in our kayak and pontoon boating whenever we can during the summer months. So the Airstream becomes our yard ornament and seems to take hind seat to maintaining our woodsy environment and house. I just took two vacation days to clean up storm damage that took down two trees and topped several others that then had to come down.

So am I happy? Not Airstream wise. I will have to retire before I can realize any Airstream activity. If I keep my Airstream then one day I would love to spend Airstream time in the Rocky Mountain parks and follow the Indy Racing Car and NASCAR racing circuits.

Our big concern right now is in Bolivia. We are anticipating our first grandson in early July and we hope to go down there in August. But right now they are blockading roads, marching on Congress and the president resigned. It is reaching crisis proportions with talk of revolution. Our son and daughter-in-law were living in an Andean mountain village 40 miles from Cochabamba. The last two days they had to walk and take several taxis to get back to Cochabamba to be prepare for the birth. They walked 7 miles in one stretch. Every bridge was blockaded so they had to ford the rivers. Luckily they were all dry this time of year. They are young and they seem to take it in stride. My wife worries. The US government is preparing for evacuation of the embassy and American citizens.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 07:08 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Relaxed & Happy

For me the Airstream has the same effect as our Rhode Island beach house when growing up... Walk in, put down the suitcase, and "FEEL" imediately like you're finally on vacation and the real world is somewhere else...

Many other vacations take a few days to unwind or wind down and let go of office stress, home stress and a few other stresses. Five minutes in the Condoluminum is plenty of time to let go and be relaxed, even after a difficult drive...

It is great to have that relaxed vacation feel regardless of geography, weather or view, and both of us look forward to setting up the chairs, grabbing a drink and a book, and just doing non-productive activities for a weekend or a week or ...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 08:27 PM   #25
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
I'm pretty happy

I live in my Airstream. It is the "mobile home" that mobile homes, as they're called, are not. I lived in an Argosy 28 from 1992 to 2205, and it got too heavy and loaded to easily move, too lived in.

I'm determined that's not going to happen to my current Excella. This thing is my "honey" and I'm going to take care of maintaning its mobility.

I'm appreciative every time I look down that hallway. This old girl is unrestored, yet she's 98% perfect the way she is. I have a lot of improvements in mind for her, but I've already put 2,750 miles on getting her, and I can go ANYWHERE that I want now.

Yes, I'm happy. I'm pleased to have this old Airstream and trust that it will take care of me as I take care of it.

Lamar
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 09:47 PM   #26
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
I'm an Argosy owner not by choice, but because one was basically given to us. My personal preference is to own a new trailer. I would love a new Airstream but would prefer any new trailer over my Argosy. I can see the benefits of owning this type of trailer and camping in a "classic" can be fun. I dont care for all the work i have had to do to it, or that still needs to be done. I just like new things as opposed to old or "vintage".

The wife on the other hand absolutely loves it.

Another battle lost there...
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 09:55 PM   #27
Air # 3974

1986 34' Excella
south bend , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to drcharles2 Send a message via Yahoo to drcharles2
happy with problems ?

So many reasons elaborating the external joy of your units, but so few from within. Assume for a moment that your airstream is a pharmaceutical on network television; is it free from side effects, contraindicated during stress, lower diastolic pressure, last longer than four hours ? Not one contributor has yet mentioned the ...s...e...x...word.

Perhaps that is problematic for the forum.
Happiness is elusive and will always be trumped by contentment.
And your airstream is rarely contentious. Ask your doctor if it's right for you.

Dr. C.
drcharles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 10:12 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
My and my Caravel

I was a bit skeptical about buying my Caravel because it didn't have the front dinette that I wanted. But, since I have been working on it I have really grown attached to it. I might even be addicted to aluminum. Is that possible ??

I am very happy with my 1965 Caravel !
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 11:43 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
full timing

In the three whole months since I bought my Airstream I've only visited 4 parks - and boondocked in one WalMart parking lot. In the past week alone I've had seven visitors who just wanted a peek inside. No one walks away thinking my CCD is "just another trailer". A couple who had just bought an 10 meter Avion to refurbish were ready to "CCD-ify" theirs. They also suddenly stopped hating their burnt orange countertops once they realized that could fit into a CCD design.

I like my bed which is in the front. I have about 8 pillows and set it up to look like a daybed when I'm not sleeping in it. I've spent several rainy days reading and watching the rain slide down the windows. It's very cozy at night. I wonder why I ever lived in a home with straight walls and corners.

Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 12:53 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

home sweet home

this has been my home for the past 4 months, this very spot. i can't seem to leave. i'm in southern arizona, it's pretty darn hot. i've never been happier. oh sure, there are some cosmetic changes i'd like to make to this old girl (like flooring and the front gaucho area), but she has suited me just fine.

and one more note: i house-sat at a beautiful home in the desert for over 2 weeks. two nights in a row, power went out for 5 hours or more, which, in addition to worrying about stuff in the frig, also meant no water as it is pumped to the house from the well. now, if i had been "home", the refrigerator would've shifted over to propane, i would have had lights, I could have cooked, and even used the fantastic fan.

it doesn't get any better than this (ok, i still want that 25' CCD but still.... )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	home.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	12740  
1997 E350
nettepdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 01:22 PM   #31
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
I'm happy because my trailer is paid for and I'm lucky enough to be able to park it at home. So I don't have to pay storage fees. The only money I have to pay on it is what I choose and when I choose to.

I have a buddy who actually got me into RVing. First he had a brand new tent trailer for a year, then sold it at a loss. Purchased a new SOB and had problems finding/paying for storage. He ultimatly sold it at a loss a couple of years later. I assume because of all the fee/payments involved vs. the amount of time a younger working family gets to use it.

So, now he does not have an RV at all...
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 05:35 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Cool

Mine is paid for also and no one cares what I park on my property. Living in small town Oklahoma, has it's perks. I just get to walk out and work on the Argosy whenever I want or just walk out and look at him. Are you supposed to take these things camping?????
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 05:54 PM   #33
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I'm NOT happy

I am still looking for my Airstream

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 06:33 PM   #34
Rivet Master

I would be happier if the exterior was self cleaning. Other than that it dosen't get much better.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 06:40 PM   #35
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Since you asked...

I am as happy as alcohol and medication can make me.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:09 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
I'm happy because.....

our Airstream is something that my brother-in-law doesn't have, and that just really ticks him off.

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 08:34 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
Mine is paid for also and no one cares what I park on my property. Living in small town Oklahoma, has it's perks. I just get to walk out and work on the Argosy whenever I want or just walk out and look at him. Are you supposed to take these things camping?????
Juel,

I like your attitude. I guess I could also say the same. But dang! I got mine parked so far away from my house I can't get my wireless laptop to connect from the Airstream. I gotta work on that.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 09:02 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
2005 25' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Athens , Georgia
I am so happy with ours but my wife thinks I am crazy when I go out for no reason and just sit in the safari with my dog.

Roy
Roy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 09:14 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Love, Love, Love it!

It's a 1993 Excella, interior in still being remodeled and the exterior clearcoat is a mess but to us it is the best Airstream in the world.

We love her so much we built a barn to store her in. Some day she will be polished so we "needed" to spend the money to keep her under cover when not in use.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 12:34 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

For us this Airstream has given us a new take on what we do together for fun, and look forward to doing in our "aging years", as life after Airstream has changed everything. We are planning our big 3 week trip and feel like a couple of giddy kids...how cool is that! This silver thing brings excitement just looking at it...I wish it was parked at home and not at Dan's work so I could stare at it a few times a day

Goodbye to condos and cabins, we are now free to move about the planet without constraints, do what we want, where we want, when we want, time permitting. As our early 50's are not yet our retirement years we look forward to all that life with an Airstream brings when there is no clock...as we are itching to take the long trips and see this country.

As JBMcG stated: "Walk in, put down the suitcase, and "FEEL" imediately like you're finally on vacation and the real world is somewhere else...", well that pretty much sums it up for us too.

Oh yes, we're both quite happy!

Barb
Rhodie is offline   Reply With Quote