Old 06-08-2005, 11:22 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member
1999 34' Limited
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Northern , Minnesota
Did you ever notice when walking away from your trailer that you aways look back. I feel that's why many of us own these silver things. You can make a point about design or reliability or towability.But the real thing is it's looks and the hearitage that comes with them .We are not in the mainstream and darn proud of it.Sepmer FI

Bradjun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 11:48 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
the front top right corner

I see the corner of my Airstream coming around the corner of the house to my driveway and think: "I own it." It's coming up on one year of ownership, I'm about as far as I thought we'd be at this point, which is not very far, but still, I'm delighted.

"Let's look Death in the face and say, 'Whatever man.'"
~ Hurley

1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 05:37 AM   #17
Rivet Master
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
There is something about opening the door and stepping in that just calms me. The interior is still in our house, many projects yet to do but I don't feel overwhelmed. It's soothing to my soul.
Not knowing enough to be afraid... (I know more than I did, but I did it anyway!)

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 07:50 AM   #18
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin

We do not own a motorhome we own an Airstream. How many 1982 motorhomes do you find on the road from other manufacturers? How many of them would you want to see on the road? Our Chummy is just plain beautiful.
Chaplain Kent
1994 30' Excella 1000, Chummy III- Ford Excursion- 7.3 Turbo-diesel
Chaplain Kent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 08:54 AM   #19
Rivet Master
2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
6:00 am, I sit up on the side of my bed , pull on my pants, walk to the kitchen , pour a cup of coffee and walk to the back window of our upstairs appartment and look out. "still there", The sun by then is peeking around the building and begining to reflect off the front of our As. I think," this time next week we'll be headed to Anthony Texas to an Rv rally. Two weeks after that we have 9 days at the Grand Canyon North Rim, three more weeks and then it's 5 weeks of-grand canyon - zion-yosemite-sequoia-who knows what else." DW retires june 30. For the first time in our lives we won't have the constraints of jobs that we have to rush back to. Our preperation for this started a couple years ago with the sale of our house and most the Stuff we had accumulated over nearly 44 years of married life. All that time and all those things now seem to be condensed into a Silver Trailer that sits waiting for these last few weeks to pass.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 09:51 AM   #20
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington

We had fun fixing our neglected Argosy - it brought us an intense personal satisfaction. We actually kinda miss the regular weekend repair routine. But now it's fixed and...

We're still happy - most especially today - we are loading the trailer to go to a bluegrass festival. We will sleep comfortably, eat well and meet lots of new folks. We will be asked to give Argosy tours. Bands will use our tiny gem to tune, warm up and do last minute primping (yes - even banjo players care about their hair).

We will put up the flag, unroll the door mat set out a couple of lawn chairs and watch the looks of longing for adventure on the faces of passers-by. Our brass, exterior bottle opener (riveted to a rib) will get a lot of use.....

Happy? You bet!
1964 Overlander | '08 Touareg V6
Current Project: 1964 Globetrotter

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 10:24 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Just remember, not all of these are big "silver" things. There are those cute twinkie colored ones too. Maybe not as many, but that just makes them more precious.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 02:32 PM   #22
Cartoon Character
2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Originally Posted by Lee Pace
... I wondered what are some of the things you love about your trailer?
Our airstream is very comfortable ... allows us to travel full time in the 'lap of luxury' ... tows and handles great ... looks fantastic inside and out.
WBCCI #3405 Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 03:29 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Tonka Bay
My Biggest Yard Ornament

I am fast coming to realize that I am over extended on commitments and activities. I have had my Airstream for two years and have yet to hit the road. Also, I am still gainfully employed thus tethered to precious vacation days. So last year I expended them on Great Britain, a dream vacation that took me a decade to achieve, and this year is committed to Bolivia and Peru. Next year we are tentatively committed to an Alaskan kayak cruise and my brother wants to repeat our joint Great Britain venture in Italy. Then we try to fit in our kayak and pontoon boating whenever we can during the summer months. So the Airstream becomes our yard ornament and seems to take hind seat to maintaining our woodsy environment and house. I just took two vacation days to clean up storm damage that took down two trees and topped several others that then had to come down.

So am I happy? Not Airstream wise. I will have to retire before I can realize any Airstream activity. If I keep my Airstream then one day I would love to spend Airstream time in the Rocky Mountain parks and follow the Indy Racing Car and NASCAR racing circuits.

Our big concern right now is in Bolivia. We are anticipating our first grandson in early July and we hope to go down there in August. But right now they are blockading roads, marching on Congress and the president resigned. It is reaching crisis proportions with talk of revolution. Our son and daughter-in-law were living in an Andean mountain village 40 miles from Cochabamba. The last two days they had to walk and take several taxis to get back to Cochabamba to be prepare for the birth. They walked 7 miles in one stretch. Every bridge was blockaded so they had to ford the rivers. Luckily they were all dry this time of year. They are young and they seem to take it in stride. My wife worries. The US government is preparing for evacuation of the embassy and American citizens.
2015 Sprinter Class B Camper Van
(Former 1971 vintage Airstream Owner)
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 07:08 PM   #24
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Relaxed & Happy

For me the Airstream has the same effect as our Rhode Island beach house when growing up... Walk in, put down the suitcase, and "FEEL" imediately like you're finally on vacation and the real world is somewhere else...

Many other vacations take a few days to unwind or wind down and let go of office stress, home stress and a few other stresses. Five minutes in the Condoluminum is plenty of time to let go and be relaxed, even after a difficult drive...

It is great to have that relaxed vacation feel regardless of geography, weather or view, and both of us look forward to setting up the chairs, grabbing a drink and a book, and just doing non-productive activities for a weekend or a week or ...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 08:27 PM   #25
Round on both ends
1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
I'm pretty happy

I live in my Airstream. It is the "mobile home" that mobile homes, as they're called, are not. I lived in an Argosy 28 from 1992 to 2205, and it got too heavy and loaded to easily move, too lived in.

I'm determined that's not going to happen to my current Excella. This thing is my "honey" and I'm going to take care of maintaning its mobility.

I'm appreciative every time I look down that hallway. This old girl is unrestored, yet she's 98% perfect the way she is. I have a lot of improvements in mind for her, but I've already put 2,750 miles on getting her, and I can go ANYWHERE that I want now.

Yes, I'm happy. I'm pleased to have this old Airstream and trust that it will take care of me as I take care of it.

SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 09:47 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member
1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
I'm an Argosy owner not by choice, but because one was basically given to us. My personal preference is to own a new trailer. I would love a new Airstream but would prefer any new trailer over my Argosy. I can see the benefits of owning this type of trailer and camping in a "classic" can be fun. I dont care for all the work i have had to do to it, or that still needs to be done. I just like new things as opposed to old or "vintage".

The wife on the other hand absolutely loves it.

Another battle lost there...
2009 F-350 FX4 Crewcab 4x4 6.4l
former '78 Argosy 20' Minuet owner
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 09:55 PM   #27
Air # 3974
1986 34' Excella
south bend , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to drcharles2 Send a message via Yahoo to drcharles2
happy with problems ?

So many reasons elaborating the external joy of your units, but so few from within. Assume for a moment that your airstream is a pharmaceutical on network television; is it free from side effects, contraindicated during stress, lower diastolic pressure, last longer than four hours ? Not one contributor has yet mentioned the ...s...e...x...word.

Perhaps that is problematic for the forum.
Happiness is elusive and will always be trumped by contentment.
And your airstream is rarely contentious. Ask your doctor if it's right for you.

Dr. C.
Patagonia, Az
South Bend, In
DeTour Village, Mi
drcharles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 10:12 PM   #28
Rivet Master
1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
My and my Caravel

I was a bit skeptical about buying my Caravel because it didn't have the front dinette that I wanted. But, since I have been working on it I have really grown attached to it. I might even be addicted to aluminum. Is that possible ??

I am very happy with my 1965 Caravel !

Chris AIR # 7276, WBCCI # 7276, TAC OR - 8
Photos of Project 2k5
Project 2k5
Life is a journey, not a destination
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote