Old 03-21-2016, 01:22 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climber View Post
We have a Fiamma rack but would never carry expensive bikes on it, even with Kryptonite U-locks. Cheap town bikes, sure, but if and when I take my good road bike it'll go in the truck.

We live in Portland, which is a fabulous cycling town, but some of the most ingenious bike thieves anywhere live here. Nothing on 2 wheel is safe unless it's in view. I'm sure that colors my opinion some.
Our bikes are only $450 when brand new, considered cheap amongst bikes, but are they still at risk?

Kelvin

Old 03-21-2016, 01:40 PM   #16
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Our bikes are only $450 when brand new, considered cheap amongst bikes, but are they still at risk?

Kelvin
BusinessInsider had a great article; that was an interview with a bike thief, and he talked about what he looks for when sizing up a bike to steal.

One of the things mentioned was brands. No one steals Huffy's but Cannadole, DiamondBack, Specialized. Known brand names are easy to flip fast and bring good money. He also mentioned that bikes left unattended in front of a grocery store, he wouldn't go after. Becuase, the owner, could come out at any moment and would likely call the cops faster than a bike he saw chained to a pole. A bike chained to a pole there was greater chance that guy was going to be gone longer. And he could take the additional time to cut the chain.

I found that part interesting. The guy likes to use heavy duty bolt cutters that go through padlocks and cables like a butter knife.

Also mentioned was that they want things that look like one cut and split is going to work. And that they have no problem removing poles and stuff if the bike is high value.

But your bike is more likely to be stolen in a populated area than out boondocking.

Old 03-21-2016, 02:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
If I were boondocking with no one around, I would leave before they came back for more.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:29 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
If your bike gets stolen in Seattle maybe he will help.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:58 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Before you cut any holes you should figure out how to get the upper frame clamps from the rack to the bike through the cover. There is also an issue with the license plate being blocked. I went and looked at mine on the rack. Not sure I have the patience to deal with a cover.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:56 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We've traveled for over ten years with the same bikes on Fiamma racks, different campers. Never covered them, always kept them out of the sun when in camp. A little CorrosionX on the exposed metal parts. Three sets of tires, new seats due to wear, they look nearly new.

Almost never lock them, but use a cable down to a heavy lock fastened to the hole in the frame inside the bumper storage compartment if we (rarely) do.

A few other campers around gives a lot of security, if you're alone out there you probably look like an easy theft.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 04:17 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
I have a Trek 8.3 hybrid and my wife's bike is a Specialized 7 speed. We don't use the Fiamma but the Arvika with the bikes mounted over the propane tanks. The Arvika has a locking system but we also use a flexible cable. So maybe not as easy to cut and run as with the Fiamma.

Kelvin
Old 03-21-2016, 05:30 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemount , Minnesota
It pains me to let a thief be successful if I can stop it with a little preparation. I find the money is worth it if I can foil their attempted robbery. This link to a chain verses bolt cutters video was informative:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I plan to use this lock & chain for my bikes with enough length to run it through an eyebolt or D ring attached to the trailer frame near the Fiamma attachment on the Airstream frame:

http://www.hollywoodracks.com/parts-...s/security.htm

I don't have our airstream out of storage yet but I hope that a D ring a bit smaller than this one will be able to be placed on the inside of the rear trailer frame and offer a solid attachment point for both the generator and the bikes:

http://lockitt.com/Lockitt/product/ANPS7500.html
Old 03-24-2016, 07:26 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post

Kelvin
Kelvin, I can only opine about Portland where I live and have heard about $100 kids bikes getting ripped off. I do think most of the country is much safer.

Cheers, Climber
Old 03-24-2016, 08:04 PM   #24
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
BoscoMN thanks for the wonderful information. I will put that to good use.

Installation was a PITA in a few places, but it's done and installed. I will say this, our two mountain bikes are 27.5 inch bikes and they just barely fit. I can't imagine this rack would work for anyone with 29er.

Also, our covers did not work. Of interest, one cover almost goes over both, but because it was fitted it's to small in the rear to go over a second bike. I think I am going to look at motorcycle covers.

So far I am happy. It's the best solution for us I guess.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:45 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Also, our covers did not work. Of interest, one cover almost goes over both, but because it was fitted it's to small in the rear to go over a second bike.
Have you tried taking off a wheel or two?
Old 03-25-2016, 01:33 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
I just bought this 72 inch long BBQ cover from ACE. Fits perfectly over my two mountain bikes on the Fiamma carrier.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...uctId=11195422

Also purchased this pricey but strong 5.5 foot MasterLock Cable for my generator and could use it on my bikes.

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-43...ilpage_o02_s00

I mounted stainless steel eye bolts in the holes at the rear bumper supports that are accessed through the bumper storage. I lock heavy cables to the eye bolts and through the bikes.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:45 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
BoscoMN thanks for the wonderful information. I will put that to good use.

Installation was a PITA in a few places, but it's done and installed. I will say this, our two mountain bikes are 27.5 inch bikes and they just barely fit. I can't imagine this rack would work for anyone with 29er.

Also, our covers did not work. Of interest, one cover almost goes over both, but because it was fitted it's to small in the rear to go over a second bike. I think I am going to look at motorcycle covers.

So far I am happy. It's the best solution for us I guess.

I moved our Fiamma carrier from my 2012 19 to our 2014 23D. It's much easier the second time.

One thing that I learned after removing the rack from the 19 was that the machine screws that just go through the skin on the inside of the brackets wore rounded holes in the skin and were potential water channels. The second time around I used rivets in their place and made oversized gaskets, sealed well with the A/S recommended roof sealant.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:26 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
I just bought this 72 inch long BBQ cover from ACE. Fits perfectly over my two mountain bikes on the Fiamma carrier.
That looks like a good way to keep them hidden and cleaner, but wouldn't it completely block the license plate?