Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-17-2003, 07:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

How Do You Keep Em From Stealing It

OK, Confession: I am currently a BlueBirder, 89FC35. Nice rig.
But, my wife and I are considering moving to an AS, say a 30'SO.
Very often, we will leave the BB in a park and travel for a day or two staying in an interesting Bed and Breakfast or old hotel.
Now, with the Bird, we lock it, set the alarm, and take the key.
You can't hook up to a 31K# RV and drive off, or break into the Bird, without setting the alarm off.
With the AS, we would lock it, take the key.
But, what is to keep someone from hooking on to the AS and driving off?
I asked an AS dealer and he said, in essence, there is nothing to prevent someone from hooking on and driving off with the rig.
Right?

Next, the generator.
I have read all of the posts on the Honda, and nice though they are, can you permanently attach the generator to the AS tongue, for convenience sake?
I emailed the AS factory and they said the "generator remote" option was for generators in the back of a pickup.
Fine.
But, what if you want to pull it with say an Excursion and don't want to move 2 46# generators to run the microwave, at noon, at a roadside park for lunch.

Trying hard to join the crowd.
Would appreciate any suggestions.

jim
Old 11-17-2003, 07:26 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Welcome!

The questions you pose are some of the harder ones to give a definitive answer to.

There are a couple of threads on securing the trailer against theft. The thing that sounds the best to me is style of boot that you put on one tire to stop it from being towed. The trailer has a 12 volt dc system so you could install the same type of alarm that you have on the Bird.

Generators are a tough one. In the 70's the factory offered 120 Volt gensets as an option. This is no longer the case. Adding one to the tounge is going to change the tounge weight and if you are in a slide out model will change it to the point you may be over on your tounge weight.

If running a microwave/tv/hair dryer/crock pot is the goal then I highly reccomend a multi panel solar system and inverter with 2-3 batteries. This will give you the ability to do those things mentioned, but not require the load/unload of the gensets. It will cost more than a genset, but it is also somewhat foolproof. All you need is sun. I have fulltimed with this type of setup and was abel on a 1500 watt inverter to run all of the 120 volt items I wished, but the air. We did not have a microwave, so you would need to consider it when you size your inverter.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 07:27 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Jim,
I don't think your dealer was much help There are plenty of options when it comes to securing an AS. they make hitch locks, I am sure you could come up with an alarm system. Get to know your neighbors, buy an really old ugly one that no one would want to steal just kidding , they also make wheel boots that are already powdercoated a nice silver color. Then there is always the LoJack system. Just a few suggestions. As far as the generators are concerned I don't have the answer to that one. I have seen a couple of units that have been modified so a generator was installed in the side of the unit, but it would cut down on your available interior cabinet space. Many years ago AS offered a small LP fired generator to recharge the batteries as an option. I have never seen one just the mention of them in my manuals. Good Luck on the research.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 08:02 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Tongue lock

I did a quick search & found this:

Universal Coupler Lock
Protect your boat from theft. This heavy-duty, cast-body, universal coupler lock provides excellent security against sawing, prying and impact. It fits all 1-7/8", 2" and 2-5/16" couplers.

BTW, Airstreams have 2 5/16" couplers (balls).
Terry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lock.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	3860  
Old 11-17-2003, 08:06 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
an image of the lock for the wheel:

and here is the wheel lock:

Trailer Keeper™ Wheel Lock
Easy to install and virtually theft-proof, this rugged wheel lock prevents the wheels on your trailer from rolling and stops potential thieves. Adjusts to fit virtually all trailers regardless of tire size, lug pattern or number of axles. Also fits pintle hook and fifth-wheel type trailers. Constructed entirely of heavy-gauge hardened steel that will stand up to hacksaw's and bolt cutters. Does not block access to grease fittings. Compact design allows you to store it behind your truck seat or in the trunk. Weighs less than 7 lbs. Special lock and two keys included. Made in USA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lock2.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	3862  
Old 11-17-2003, 08:15 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally posted by wahoonc
Jim,
I don't think your dealer was much help There are plenty of options when it comes to securing an AS. they make hitch locks, I am sure you could come up with an alarm system. Get to know your neighbors, buy an really old ugly one that no one would want to steal just kidding , they also make wheel boots that are already powdercoated a nice silver color. Then there is always the LoJack system. Just a few suggestions. As far as the generators are concerned I don't have the answer to that one. I have seen a couple of units that have been modified so a generator was installed in the side of the unit, but it would cut down on your available interior cabinet space. Many years ago AS offered a small LP fired generator to recharge the batteries as an option. I have never seen one just the mention of them in my manuals. Good Luck on the research.

Aaron
For the generator, how about a modified wheelchair "crane" that is designed to move a powered wheelchair in and out of the back of the Suburban/Excursion? It consists of a small electric lift, and a small base the wheelchair would sit on to be moved. Nothing says it has to be a wheelchair, however, and a generator should weigh a lot less than an electric wheelchair. When you get to your picnic spot, pop open the back door to the truck, and use the lift to set the generator on the ground next to the tongue. When done with lunch, just push the lift button, to raise it back into the back of the truck. I don't know if it is do-able, but it is an idea to explore.
You DID say you wanted suggestions...
Terry
Old 11-17-2003, 09:09 PM   #7
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Very timely subject .. I have been thinking quite a bit about this. Taking delivery in January and am also concerned about security.

Here's a link for Master Lock

Another link for Pit Bull

For an alarm .. I will be getting a Python 881XP for the truck .. and possibly the AS. You can also get GPS tracking for this product.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 09:13 PM   #8
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Hi, Jim!

Excellent questions! Welcome to the Forums, and yes, BlueBirders are welcomed too... especially when they're thinking about Airstreams!

I pull a 34' Limited tri-axle with an Excursion. Regarding the theft issue, at 7100lbs dry, the Limited is heavy enough that there aren't too many crooks out there with something heavy enough to pull it away. Although there are, of course, reports of the occasional theft of a trailer, when compared to the number of RVs registered, statistically you're much more likely to have your car stolen out of your locked garage! Burglaries are, of course, more common; although most thefts from RVs are either from unlocked coaches or more usually reports of things stolen that were left outside. Again, there are really very few reported break-ins of RVs.

If it is a concern, though, the tongue locks and wheel boots would work nicely for you.

I had a 325 motorhome with an Onan 7.5KW genset on-board before we bought the trailer. It was convenient. We have given the genset up with the trailer and Excursion combination. If we really wanted to haul a genset, we would have bought a pickup, but we just decided that we could do without it. We still have a stovetop to heat water the 'old fashioned way' when we need to on the road. We decided that although it was convenient, it wasn't THAT great a sacrifice...

Best of luck in your hunt for the 'perfect' Airstream for you!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 09:19 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

wheel lock sounds like an excellent idea, probably the best you can do.

Hitch lock inthe picture above is another good one. A worthwhile investment, look at it as insurance.

In addition to the above, you can park your truck in front of it.

You raise legit. questions. In our times, with a lot of hungry and integrity-less ppl around, no they would not in fact hesitate and take your A/S and stuff and then sell it for 20 cents on the dollar.

You cannot be too paranoid about this matter.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:07 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.
As an aside, in searching for either a MH or a TT I first looked at the community of support and adoration for the product.
You find that with BlueBird, Airstream, LazyDaze, but with few others. Try and find the intensive support and sense of community in many other RV manufacturers, you won't. In fact, if you look at some of the Yahoo RV sites, some are closed to the public (for instance Prevost), others have little input or sense of community of concern or interest.
Not so Airstream. YOUR love of your lifestyle and trailer speaks volumes to those on the outside; and, evidently to the public, as reflected by the increased production numbers received from AS in their newsletter.
THEFT: I told my wife before I posted that theft had to be a resolved problem. Your posts bear that out. Thnak you for your leads.
GENERATOR; The following is a response I received from AS tech this am:

Jim,
As of today Airstream has no previsions to adding generators to the trailers. The units are not designed for the added weight at either end of the trailer . Airstream understands that there are customers wanting to add generators on board and this is being evaluated as to how this can be done without damaging the integrity of the unit. Unfortunately this doesn't help your dilemma today. If you want the generator on the trailer, the only place I can tell you to safely put it, would be to slide it inside the entry door and toward the center of the trailer. This would most likely be even more inconvenient, but for weight distribution its the best.
Thanks,

Their statement about sums it up.
However, from their response, "that is being evaluated how this can be done", I bet that AS is working on this issue.
I wouldn't be suprised to see a generator option in the future, not too distant, for AS.
And, the post that stated they moved from a MH to AS and just gave up the generator.

My wife and I are going to go to several AS dealers and start looking in the flesh.
I also am going to monitor the AS "evaluation" of the addition of a generator.
Competetion demands it.

IF AS wants to compete for the high end purchaser, they will have to provide it.
Dry camping in Texas for 7 months of the year, without air conditioning, is really not an option.

Jim
Texas
Old 11-18-2003, 11:59 AM   #11
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally posted by judge3rd

Dry camping in Texas for 7 months of the year, without air conditioning, is really not an option.

Jim
Texas
Jim... this line gave me a great chuckle... of course the first response that popped into my head was "why would you WANT to dry camp in Texas for seven months"? Sort of a "I love smacking my head against the wall because it feels so good when I stop" thing?

Seriously, I feel qualified to say such things as I spent many, many weeks in places like the Anza-Borrego desert in July and August. I don't remember why I did that just now... but it seemed like the thing to do at the time!

I guess that if you're hell-bent-for-leather for the trailer-and-generator route, but you still want the Excursion or Suburban, that a 4door truck with a camper shell would probably be just the ticket to haul your genset and fuel around with you.

Do keep us posted on your investigation of 'trailers with generators' as you find things out. It will be interesting to see where Airstream goes with this.

Roger
Old 11-18-2003, 12:45 PM   #12
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
I guess I should note here that when I placed my order ... I ordered the new Generator Remote Prep package.

Although I have no idea how it works.

Also, Roger is right .. If you want to carry a generator or two and the gas to go with it ... a truck with a cap or lid is a better choice than an SUV.

Thanks to Road King Moe for pointing this out to me several months ago ... I ordered an F-350 instead of an Excursion .. glad I did.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 01:14 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Roger,
You right, who in their right mind would want to dry camp for 7 months in Texas.
Should have said dry camping during a 7 month period in Texas-
Air conditioning is not an option.
I think an unairconditioned RV in Texas, in August, would be like being in an oven, IMHO.
105 in the shade, 125 in an oven.
Agree with the posts, generator= pickup.
And, I am sticking to an Excursion to pull.
So, I wrote Tech at AS in reply to the note they sent me, which I posted above, and said, put us at the top of the list when they couple AS and Onan.
jim
TEXAS
Old 11-18-2003, 01:41 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

I did a traderonline search.
Travel trailer catagory with Generator as key word.
The following Travel Trailer's include generators, usually a 5.5kw Onan, they are;
Keystone
National
Sandpiper
Forest River
Kit
Jayco
Layton
Dutchman
Skyline
Fleetwood
Thor
Tahoe
Weekend Warrior.
and, I think there were others, I just got tired of writting them down.
If these manufracturers can provide on board generators, with 5.5kw Onan ability, so can AS.
No wonder AS tech emailed and said they were examining how to include the generator in their trailers.
Competition is demanding it.
And, I look forward to it.
jim
Texas
Old 11-18-2003, 04:05 PM   #15
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally posted by thenewkid64
Welcome!

If running a microwave/tv/hair dryer/crock pot is the goal then I highly reccomend a multi panel solar system and inverter with 2-3 batteries. This will give you the ability to do those things mentioned, but not require the load/unload of the gensets. It will cost more than a genset, but it is also somewhat foolproof. All you need is sun. I have fulltimed with this type of setup and was abel on a 1500 watt inverter to run all of the 120 volt items I wished, but the air. We did not have a microwave, so you would need to consider it when you size your inverter.
You know, Jim, I'd SERIOUSLY consider Brett's solution. It's clean, quiet, and environmentally friendly. The best part is that you don't have to purchase or haul gasoline for it, and once it's installed there's no maintenance other than adding water to the batteries. All you need is sunshine, and there's apparently an abundance of that where you camp! I wonder if this could be sized up to accomodate your A/C unit? It WOULD be nice to have your cake and eat it too...

Roger
Old 11-18-2003, 05:02 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Roger
Thank you for responding.
And, you are right. There are a lot of options out there with the AS.
And, I am sold on AS.
Talked to an AS dealer, in fact two of them. One personally in Texas, one by email in Oregon.
Texas said that they would weld a hitch on the back of the AS (30SO) put a rack on the bar, and bolt a generator on.
Oregon said that they could put a generator either under the dinnette or even the bad and connect it to the lpgas.
Interesting.
Tech AS said to put it inside, mid coach.
Not sure about all of this.
But, am sure of the ultimate direction-AS.
jim
Old 11-18-2003, 05:17 PM   #17
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Jim,

I would avoid welding a genset on the rear bumper, or a frame mounted rack.

The up and down motion of the genset added at the end of a cantilever frame will induce stresses that could cause the frame to fail. I would bet if you took the trailer to Airstream for a warranty repair on the frame it would be denied.

Under the dinette sounds like a better option. It is at the mid point of suspended portions of the trailer while towing and should not affect the frame. You will need to deduct the weight of the genset from the possible weight of "stuff" that you could carry. The trailer has an upper limit that you need to try to stay under. This may not have been too much of an issue in the Bird as they are built to carry it all, and then some.

Be sure to ask for some examples of their work. Last thing you want is to be a test case with a brand new unit. Also I would order it with the remote genset start option. I am sure the dealer would be able to use it and could save on some labor cost as well as having the controls factory installed.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 05:39 PM   #18
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Maybe I watch too much MacGyver...

Quote:
Originally posted by judge3rd
Roger,
You right, who in their right mind would want to dry camp for 7 months in Texas.
Should have said dry camping during a 7 month period in Texas-
Air conditioning is not an option.
I think an unairconditioned RV in Texas, in August, would be like being in an oven, IMHO.
105 in the shade, 125 in an oven.
Agree with the posts, generator= pickup.
And, I am sticking to an Excursion to pull.
So, I wrote Tech at AS in reply to the note they sent me, which I posted above, and said, put us at the top of the list when they couple AS and Onan.
jim
TEXAS
Jim, why not get an old ambulance gurney and put the generator on it? The wheels will collapse down to roll it right into the trailer for travel, and when you stop for lunch, you can wheel it outside, and plug it in. Total time to setup should be about 2 minutes, from unlatching the gurney to the generator running. And gurneys have that nice stainless-steel silver look to match the Airstream...
Terry
Old 11-18-2003, 05:45 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Brett
You are right on.
Terry
Grea idea, except we could just have the ambulance gurney be a toad to the AS.
Use a hitch and just pull it behind the AS.
As you said, the metal to metal would match.
And, in the event of an accident, or witnessing an accident, then would could just readily transfer to the ambulance.
jim
Old 11-18-2003, 06:02 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

judge3rd,

Get an Auragen and put it in the Excursion. You will not have to carry extra fuel or worry about finding a place for the generator in the Airstream. Take your pick, 5KW for 30 amp service or 8KW for 50 amp service.

You don't need no stinken portable generator!