Old 11-18-2003, 05:05 PM   #15
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally posted by thenewkid64
Welcome!

If running a microwave/tv/hair dryer/crock pot is the goal then I highly reccomend a multi panel solar system and inverter with 2-3 batteries. This will give you the ability to do those things mentioned, but not require the load/unload of the gensets. It will cost more than a genset, but it is also somewhat foolproof. All you need is sun. I have fulltimed with this type of setup and was abel on a 1500 watt inverter to run all of the 120 volt items I wished, but the air. We did not have a microwave, so you would need to consider it when you size your inverter.
You know, Jim, I'd SERIOUSLY consider Brett's solution. It's clean, quiet, and environmentally friendly. The best part is that you don't have to purchase or haul gasoline for it, and once it's installed there's no maintenance other than adding water to the batteries. All you need is sunshine, and there's apparently an abundance of that where you camp! I wonder if this could be sized up to accomodate your A/C unit? It WOULD be nice to have your cake and eat it too...

Roger

Old 11-18-2003, 06:02 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Roger
Thank you for responding.
And, you are right. There are a lot of options out there with the AS.
And, I am sold on AS.
Talked to an AS dealer, in fact two of them. One personally in Texas, one by email in Oregon.
Texas said that they would weld a hitch on the back of the AS (30SO) put a rack on the bar, and bolt a generator on.
Oregon said that they could put a generator either under the dinnette or even the bad and connect it to the lpgas.
Interesting.
Tech AS said to put it inside, mid coach.
Not sure about all of this.
But, am sure of the ultimate direction-AS.
jim

Old 11-18-2003, 06:17 PM   #17
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Jim,

I would avoid welding a genset on the rear bumper, or a frame mounted rack.

The up and down motion of the genset added at the end of a cantilever frame will induce stresses that could cause the frame to fail. I would bet if you took the trailer to Airstream for a warranty repair on the frame it would be denied.

Under the dinette sounds like a better option. It is at the mid point of suspended portions of the trailer while towing and should not affect the frame. You will need to deduct the weight of the genset from the possible weight of "stuff" that you could carry. The trailer has an upper limit that you need to try to stay under. This may not have been too much of an issue in the Bird as they are built to carry it all, and then some.

Be sure to ask for some examples of their work. Last thing you want is to be a test case with a brand new unit. Also I would order it with the remote genset start option. I am sure the dealer would be able to use it and could save on some labor cost as well as having the controls factory installed.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 06:39 PM   #18
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Maybe I watch too much MacGyver...

Quote:
Originally posted by judge3rd
Roger,
You right, who in their right mind would want to dry camp for 7 months in Texas.
Should have said dry camping during a 7 month period in Texas-
Air conditioning is not an option.
I think an unairconditioned RV in Texas, in August, would be like being in an oven, IMHO.
105 in the shade, 125 in an oven.
Agree with the posts, generator= pickup.
And, I am sticking to an Excursion to pull.
So, I wrote Tech at AS in reply to the note they sent me, which I posted above, and said, put us at the top of the list when they couple AS and Onan.
jim
TEXAS
Jim, why not get an old ambulance gurney and put the generator on it? The wheels will collapse down to roll it right into the trailer for travel, and when you stop for lunch, you can wheel it outside, and plug it in. Total time to setup should be about 2 minutes, from unlatching the gurney to the generator running. And gurneys have that nice stainless-steel silver look to match the Airstream...
Terry
Old 11-18-2003, 06:45 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Brett
You are right on.
Terry
Grea idea, except we could just have the ambulance gurney be a toad to the AS.
Use a hitch and just pull it behind the AS.
As you said, the metal to metal would match.
And, in the event of an accident, or witnessing an accident, then would could just readily transfer to the ambulance.
jim
Old 11-18-2003, 07:02 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

judge3rd,

Get an Auragen and put it in the Excursion. You will not have to carry extra fuel or worry about finding a place for the generator in the Airstream. Take your pick, 5KW for 30 amp service or 8KW for 50 amp service.

You don't need no stinken portable generator!
Old 11-18-2003, 07:22 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Buy the AS MH

Are you sure you want to go with an AS TT and not the new 2004 Classic MH (if they finish it)?
Old 11-18-2003, 07:26 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

et
An Auragen.
I did a google on that the other night and did not find anything readily.
Can you give me some direction? And explination?
Think I saw a thread on it somewhere.
jim
Old 11-18-2003, 07:39 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

judge3rd,

Try this link for a start. http://www.aurasystems.com/
Old 11-18-2003, 07:57 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

et
YOU ARE BRILLANT!
I went to the site and lo and behold it is approved for EXCURSIONS, with the Power Stroke. And they have it for the new 6.0 Power Stroke.
Have any idea of the cost?
Know of anyone that uses it with an AS?
With a diesel Excursion you would simply let the Excursion run and plug the AS into the Excursion female Auragen plug.
Then can have 50 amps if needed.
As you know, these engines can idle without heating up.
So, lock the Excursion, leave it running, turn on the ac and go to bed.
If the solution is this simple, how come it is not readily known?
What a capital idea.
Jim
Texas
And, again, Thanks.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:38 PM   #25
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally posted by judge3rd
et
As you know, these engines can idle without heating up.
So, lock the Excursion, leave it running, turn on the ac and go to bed.
Aahhh! The nocturnal smell of diesel as I nod off for the evening.

Seriously, if you are going to idle that diesel for an extended period, better get Ford's Automatic Idle Controller to prevent wet stacking.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 08:53 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

If you are patient, you don't have to pay retail. The last one I bought new for $300 plus shipping for my 2002 Silverado Duramax Allison. It will not only power my Airstream but anything else I wish. It even works while on the move. Talk about power for an air horn, just use a 120/240 volt compressor mounted under the body. Make sure you get one of the Auragen Extension Cord Kits, they are invaluable.

Last month an Auragen adapted for a Ford Triton motor on eBay got no bids and it could have been bought for $350. Any Auragen will work on any vehicle, you just need the correct adapter kit. The kits for the new diesels are elaborate.

The final installation process involves programing the Auragen to adapt to your vehicle's computer system and has to be performed by an Auragen trained and equipped technician. The link will locate your nearest dealer.

My current Airstream was purchased from a former BlueBirder.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:22 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Porky
Diesel
Thanks!
Automatic Idle controller and no retail on an AuraGen. Got it.
I am looking at the 04 Excursion, 6.0.
That should allow me to pull a 30SO Classic or the Safari 28SO.
Porky, see that you are ordering a 34.
Nice, but don't think it will all fit within the Excursions 11K# practical weight limit.
Read somewhere practical limit is about 75% of tow limit (11,000 x .75= 8,250#) and the 30SO has a GVWR limit of 9100#, 7877 empty, 1125 usable.
Looks like there will be a great BB on the market soon.
jim
Texas
Old 11-18-2003, 09:48 PM   #28
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Jim,

You're right about the Excursion. Had my heart set on one until I did a weight study with the 34'.

Not enough capacity .. thus the F-350.

If you want to get familiar with the Ford Diesel you should visit ... The Diesel Stop

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote