Old 10-22-2007, 08:21 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Don't do nothin' dumb

John HD has the real way mentioned here.
Find a small berm or shallow ditch a couple feet high. With experience you will work out the best height. Back up to it so the lowered tail gate, or ramps, will lie within a few inches of the gound level and give you an essentially level loading platform. I'd then ride it into the bed, but you can push it onboard. Have the tiedowns ready. I have seen too many dumped bikes from trying to go up a steep ramp & bikes fall on top of the guy trying to push it up ..... even using a winch. Be safe.

Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:02 AM   #30

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I load my john boat on the roof rack with the aid of a 12' section of wiring tray. It looks like an extension ladder and I hook one end on the rear cross member of the rack and slide it up. A rope on the bow lets an assistant pull from the front. The "ramp" gets tied to the rack beside the boat during transit.

Hi Ho Silver RV! Vernon, Sarah, Mac the Border Collie -
A honkin' long 34' named AlumaTherapy http://www.airforums.com/forums/f205...num-54749.html
and a 26' '63 Overlander, Dolly http://www.airforums.com/forums/f109...ome-71609.html
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:14 AM   #31
Rivet Master
1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
For kayaks the Yakama roof racks you can buy an optional extension rack that goes inside the bars and allows you to pull the bars out and put the kayak on the forward bar even when you have the Airstream attached to the truck. Then you have to find a way to lift the back of the kayak up and slide it onto the other extension and then slide accorss the rack to the normal tie down position racks and push the extensions back into the crossbars for transit. If you have a shoulder problem you might use a pulley and winch system to get it up there without lifting.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 01:02 PM   #32
Rivet Master
Originally Posted by uwe
Does your rack extend over teh cab, or is it bed-size only? Some clever rollers, strategically installed, might do the trick. Got any pictures? I use Thule's rack rollers, they make loading our tandem Ocean Kayak quite simple, just takes one lift to get the nose into the rollers, and the rest is easy.
Many thanks Uwe and everyone else for those suggestions. I don't have any suitable photos this side of the pond, but the rack is just in the bed, not over the cab. I have some Thule rack rollers, but the advantage of the UHMWPE slab is that it goes completely aross the tailgate, so the kayak can't slip off it.

Nick Crowhurst, Excella 25 1988, Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel. England in summer, USA in winter.
"The price of freedom is eternal maintenance."
nickcrowhurst is offline   Reply With Quote