Old 11-26-2003, 08:01 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Good Idea

Ol' George:

That's not a bad idea! It also gives me a good reason to wire in the extra trailer wiring that is presently tied to the chassis just behind the cab. Backing down may be a tad more difficult - but hey - why not pull it up backwards? That way I could use the front hand brake to let it down the ramp.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 09:22 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

I use two folding ramps they are about eight foot long with the ends that can be put on 2x12 planks to make a better top, I made a wide ramp by making a set of plywood tops with 2x4 inserts that fit the cross members on the corners to hold them in place and then put on a coat of latex paint with sand to make a slip proff surface. I made these ramps to move a electric wheelchair

Old 11-26-2003, 11:14 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

that wench is a great idea!!

not bad at $49.99.

I guess I would mount it in the back of the pickup.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90282
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2003, 01:55 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

If you're already fixed with two planks you should have no problem with your Vespa. Walk up one plank(on left of scoot), feather the clutch whilst steading the machine and it'll do all the work. Down is easy, gravity'll help a bunch.

Put some sort of lip on the ends of the plank that'll hook into your tailgate slot. That'll keep the planks in place.

I've used this method to load a BMW K1100. That's much heavier than my P200E...

Good luck!
Old 11-26-2003, 08:35 PM   #19
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Let's call Jesse from Monster Garage!
Old 11-27-2003, 01:53 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Talking Do it the easy way!

Like this!
Old 11-27-2003, 02:23 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
The most common last words of a Redneck:

Hey ya'll... watch this!
Old 12-03-2003, 02:02 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Brandon (near reservoir) , Mississippi
Here is the best way to do it.

http://www.sagebrushdesigns.ca/files...ng_a_bike.mpeg
Old 12-03-2003, 02:05 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Brandon (near reservoir) , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally posted by RoadKingMoe
The most common last words of a Redneck:

Hey ya'll... watch this!

Sorry, this has already been posted.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:08 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
KOWABUNGA, DUDE!

Ahhhh - Youth - and Graphics Artistry.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 01:37 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

I have seen a sectional ramp before easy to store and when combined is almost 3 feet wide. This width allows you to drive the motorcycle up the ramp with both feet on the ramp for stability and security, and then with braking can back it down. It might be scary, but the guy I saw doing this had a large HD, and could not push it up any ramp himself.

Darin
Old 12-31-2003, 10:41 PM   #26
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally posted by 59toaster
Hmmm It would be fun to have My 1957 Sears Allstate (Vespa) camping with our 59 Caravanner. I need a magneto for the Allstate. I also have a 50's Puch Condor Moped.

Now the real fun is our tow rig is a Suburban. I'll have to rig a way to hang it on the front.
Why not mount a 2"trailer receiver type hitch under the front bumper? It would be heavy enough to hold the scooter, just fab up something to keep it there, and it would come off when not in use.
A plus to this is your trailer ball could be put in the same receiver, so you could drive your trailer backwards into a real tough parking spot. (this was a popular thing back in the '70's with large trailers.)
Terry
Old 10-22-2007, 07:55 AM   #27
Rivet Master

I'm planning to use one of these 12 volt winches to haul our double kayak onto the rack above the bed of our truck:
Master Lock 12V DC Portable Winch — 2000-Lb. Capacity, Model# 2953AT | 1,000 - 2,900 Lb. Capacity | Northern Tool + Equipment
I'm carrying a rotator cuff injury, and need to get a 100 pound kayak onto a truck rack without using my right shoulder for any great effort. I plan to install the base plate of the demountable winch at the front of the bed, and haul the kayak in over an "ultra high molecular weight polyethylene" pad fixed across the inside of the lowered tailgate. I will do this, with the rear rack crossbar removed, until the kayak over-balances on the front crossbar, and the stern of the kayak rises up, while the bow rests on the cab roof. I will then re-install the back crossbar, and slide the kayak back to its final position. This has worked for 5 years with muscle power, and adapting this for using a winch will require some careful thought. The winch comes with a power lead with clips to attach to the battery posts. This is a poor system. I aim to provide a decent power take-off socket and plug, perhaps in the truck bed (rain & dirt?), perhaps in a truck box (inconvenient to have the lid up when the winch is in operation. I have a cross box and two side boxes), perhaps under the hood.(not very slick, but simple and easy).
I'd appreciate any ideas on where to install such a socket, and which company sells a suitable socket and plug in the USA (I arrive from the UK next month). There is no indication of the power consumption of the winch, but I will make some further enquiries on that point.
Also, I'd appreciate any input on ways of getting the kayak up on that rack. I've considered a trailer for everyday use, but I'd still need to get it on the rack when towing the Airstream. I'll also consider a lighter kayak or a folder, but I'm hoping an operation will sort out the shoulder so I can get back to normal strength.
Any ideas? Thanks.
Nick.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:20 AM   #28
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst
I'm planning to use one of these 12 volt winches to haul our double kayak onto the rack above the bed of our truck:
Master Lock 12V DC Portable Winch — 2000-Lb. Capacity, Model# 2953AT | 1,000 - 2,900 Lb. Capacity | Northern Tool + Equipment
I'm carrying a rotator cuff injury, and need to get a 100 pound kayak onto a truck rack without using my right shoulder for any great effort. I plan to install the base plate of the demountable winch at the front of the bed, and haul the kayak in over an "ultra high molecular weight polyethylene" pad fixed across the inside of the lowered tailgate. I will do this, with the rear rack crossbar removed, until the kayak over-balances on the front crossbar, and the stern of the kayak rises up, while the bow rests on the cab roof. I will then re-install the back crossbar, and slide the kayak back to its final position. This has worked for 5 years with muscle power, and adapting this for using a winch will require some careful thought.
Does your rack extend over teh cab, or is it bed-size only? Some clever rollers, strategically installed, might do the trick. Got any pictures? I use Thule's rack rollers, they make loading our tandem Ocean Kayak quite simple, just takes one lift to get the nose into the rollers, and the rest is easy.

Quote:
The winch comes with a power lead with clips to attach to the battery posts. This is a poor system. I aim to provide a decent power take-off socket and plug, perhaps in the truck bed (rain & dirt?), perhaps in a truck box (inconvenient to have the lid up when the winch is in operation. I have a cross box and two side boxes), perhaps under the hood.(not very slick, but simple and easy).
I'd appreciate any ideas on where to install such a socket, and which company sells a suitable socket and plug in the USA (I arrive from the UK next month). There is no indication of the power consumption of the winch, but I will make some further enquiries on that point.
I'd use the type of connectors that forklifts use for charging. You can adapt them for jumper cables as well, or for other battery charging uses. They carry most any automotive amperage with ease. Like the connector in the picture. ( not the charger, just the connector)

Quote:
Also, I'd appreciate any input on ways of getting the kayak up on that rack. I've considered a trailer for everyday use, but I'd still need to get it on the rack when towing the Airstream. I'll also consider a lighter kayak or a folder, but I'm hoping an operation will sort out the shoulder so I can get back to normal strength.
Any ideas? Thanks.
Nick.
I think you could do this with a simple tackle system, too. Or an anchor winch for a small boat. I made a bicycle winch for my garage like that, it pulls 2 bikes to the ceiling with ease.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	QPET36V25ASB350.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	47813