Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-26-2003, 08:01 AM   #15
Rivet Master
 
Cracker's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,099
Good Idea

Ol' George:

That's not a bad idea! It also gives me a good reason to wire in the extra trailer wiring that is presently tied to the chassis just behind the cab. Backing down may be a tad more difficult - but hey - why not pull it up backwards? That way I could use the front hand brake to let it down the ramp.
__________________

__________________
Cracker

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 09:22 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 89
I use two folding ramps they are about eight foot long with the ends that can be put on 2x12 planks to make a better top, I made a wide ramp by making a set of plywood tops with 2x4 inserts that fit the cross members on the corners to hold them in place and then put on a coat of latex paint with sand to make a slip proff surface. I made these ramps to move a electric wheelchair
__________________

__________________
Gene Wissink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 11:14 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member
 
Swingking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 63
Images: 5
that wench is a great idea!!

not bad at $49.99.

I guess I would mount it in the back of the pickup.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90282
Attached Images
 
__________________
Swingking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 01:55 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 8
If you're already fixed with two planks you should have no problem with your Vespa. Walk up one plank(on left of scoot), feather the clutch whilst steading the machine and it'll do all the work. Down is easy, gravity'll help a bunch.

Put some sort of lip on the ends of the plank that'll hook into your tailgate slot. That'll keep the planks in place.

I've used this method to load a BMW K1100. That's much heavier than my P200E...

Good luck!
__________________
Cheers
Stephen
Stephen Syrotiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 08:35 PM   #19
uwe
418
 
uwe's Avatar
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 1963 26' Overlander
Posts: 4,767
Images: 41
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Let's call Jesse from Monster Garage!
__________________
Uwe
www.area63productions.com
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 01:53 PM   #20
Rivet Master
 
drboyd's Avatar

 
1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,428
Talking Do it the easy way!

Like this!
__________________
"Between what matters and what seems to matter, how should the world we know judge wisely?" - E.C. Bentley, Trent's Last Case
drboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 02:23 PM   #21
Rivet Master
 
RoadKingMoe's Avatar
 
2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,605
Images: 23
The most common last words of a Redneck:

Hey ya'll... watch this!
__________________
Maurice
RoadKingMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 02:02 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member
 
dmreilly10000's Avatar
 
1953 25' Cruiser
Brandon (near reservoir) , Mississippi
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: 1953 25' Cruiser
Posts: 324
Images: 14
Here is the best way to do it.


http://www.sagebrushdesigns.ca/files...ng_a_bike.mpeg
__________________
dmreilly10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 02:05 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member
 
dmreilly10000's Avatar
 
1953 25' Cruiser
Brandon (near reservoir) , Mississippi
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: 1953 25' Cruiser
Posts: 324
Images: 14
Quote:
Originally posted by RoadKingMoe
The most common last words of a Redneck:

Hey ya'll... watch this!

Sorry, this has already been posted.
__________________
dmreilly10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 02:08 PM   #24
Rivet Master
 
87MH's Avatar
 
1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,435
Images: 292
KOWABUNGA, DUDE!

Ahhhh - Youth - and Graphics Artistry.
__________________
Dennis

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 01:37 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 31
I have seen a sectional ramp before easy to store and when combined is almost 3 feet wide. This width allows you to drive the motorcycle up the ramp with both feet on the ramp for stability and security, and then with braking can back it down. It might be scary, but the guy I saw doing this had a large HD, and could not push it up any ramp himself.

Darin
__________________
darin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 10:41 PM   #26
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,189
Quote:
Originally posted by 59toaster
Hmmm It would be fun to have My 1957 Sears Allstate (Vespa) camping with our 59 Caravanner. I need a magneto for the Allstate. I also have a 50's Puch Condor Moped.

Now the real fun is our tow rig is a Suburban. I'll have to rig a way to hang it on the front.
Why not mount a 2"trailer receiver type hitch under the front bumper? It would be heavy enough to hold the scooter, just fab up something to keep it there, and it would come off when not in use.
A plus to this is your trailer ball could be put in the same receiver, so you could drive your trailer backwards into a real tough parking spot. (this was a popular thing back in the '70's with large trailers.)
Terry
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 07:55 AM   #27
Rivet Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,313
Images: 4
I'm planning to use one of these 12 volt winches to haul our double kayak onto the rack above the bed of our truck:
Master Lock 12V DC Portable Winch — 2000-Lb. Capacity, Model# 2953AT | 1,000 - 2,900 Lb. Capacity | Northern Tool + Equipment
I'm carrying a rotator cuff injury, and need to get a 100 pound kayak onto a truck rack without using my right shoulder for any great effort. I plan to install the base plate of the demountable winch at the front of the bed, and haul the kayak in over an "ultra high molecular weight polyethylene" pad fixed across the inside of the lowered tailgate. I will do this, with the rear rack crossbar removed, until the kayak over-balances on the front crossbar, and the stern of the kayak rises up, while the bow rests on the cab roof. I will then re-install the back crossbar, and slide the kayak back to its final position. This has worked for 5 years with muscle power, and adapting this for using a winch will require some careful thought. The winch comes with a power lead with clips to attach to the battery posts. This is a poor system. I aim to provide a decent power take-off socket and plug, perhaps in the truck bed (rain & dirt?), perhaps in a truck box (inconvenient to have the lid up when the winch is in operation. I have a cross box and two side boxes), perhaps under the hood.(not very slick, but simple and easy).
I'd appreciate any ideas on where to install such a socket, and which company sells a suitable socket and plug in the USA (I arrive from the UK next month). There is no indication of the power consumption of the winch, but I will make some further enquiries on that point.
Also, I'd appreciate any input on ways of getting the kayak up on that rack. I've considered a trailer for everyday use, but I'd still need to get it on the rack when towing the Airstream. I'll also consider a lighter kayak or a folder, but I'm hoping an operation will sort out the shoulder so I can get back to normal strength.
Any ideas? Thanks.
Nick.
__________________
Nick Crowhurst, Excella 25 1988, Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel. England in summer, USA in winter.
"The price of freedom is eternal maintenance."
nickcrowhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 08:20 AM   #28
uwe
418
 
uwe's Avatar
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 1963 26' Overlander
Posts: 4,767
Images: 41
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst
I'm planning to use one of these 12 volt winches to haul our double kayak onto the rack above the bed of our truck:
Master Lock 12V DC Portable Winch — 2000-Lb. Capacity, Model# 2953AT | 1,000 - 2,900 Lb. Capacity | Northern Tool + Equipment
I'm carrying a rotator cuff injury, and need to get a 100 pound kayak onto a truck rack without using my right shoulder for any great effort. I plan to install the base plate of the demountable winch at the front of the bed, and haul the kayak in over an "ultra high molecular weight polyethylene" pad fixed across the inside of the lowered tailgate. I will do this, with the rear rack crossbar removed, until the kayak over-balances on the front crossbar, and the stern of the kayak rises up, while the bow rests on the cab roof. I will then re-install the back crossbar, and slide the kayak back to its final position. This has worked for 5 years with muscle power, and adapting this for using a winch will require some careful thought.
Does your rack extend over teh cab, or is it bed-size only? Some clever rollers, strategically installed, might do the trick. Got any pictures? I use Thule's rack rollers, they make loading our tandem Ocean Kayak quite simple, just takes one lift to get the nose into the rollers, and the rest is easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst
The winch comes with a power lead with clips to attach to the battery posts. This is a poor system. I aim to provide a decent power take-off socket and plug, perhaps in the truck bed (rain & dirt?), perhaps in a truck box (inconvenient to have the lid up when the winch is in operation. I have a cross box and two side boxes), perhaps under the hood.(not very slick, but simple and easy).
I'd appreciate any ideas on where to install such a socket, and which company sells a suitable socket and plug in the USA (I arrive from the UK next month). There is no indication of the power consumption of the winch, but I will make some further enquiries on that point.
I'd use the type of connectors that forklifts use for charging. You can adapt them for jumper cables as well, or for other battery charging uses. They carry most any automotive amperage with ease. Like the connector in the picture. ( not the charger, just the connector)




Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst
Also, I'd appreciate any input on ways of getting the kayak up on that rack. I've considered a trailer for everyday use, but I'd still need to get it on the rack when towing the Airstream. I'll also consider a lighter kayak or a folder, but I'm hoping an operation will sort out the shoulder so I can get back to normal strength.
Any ideas? Thanks.
Nick.
I think you could do this with a simple tackle system, too. Or an anchor winch for a small boat. I made a bicycle winch for my garage like that, it pulls 2 bikes to the ceiling with ease.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	QPET36V25ASB350.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	47813  
__________________

__________________
Uwe
www.area63productions.com
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.