Old 05-19-2003, 10:11 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
Honda Generator Mounting

I am interested in buying a Honda Generator - but really don't want to carry it in the back of the Explorer or in the trailer (gas smell and bulk). I'm thinking that the EU2000i at only 47 lbs could be mounted on a platform on the trailer tongue by reworking the battery bracket to hold both. I would REALLY like the capacity of the EU3000i to run the A/C - but would 134 lbs be too much or too big? Has anyone mounted either of these this way? How do you protect the generator from the elements?

Old 05-19-2003, 10:23 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1000 i fits

I estimated the clearance for the 2000 mounted on the battery box (got the dimensions from a Honda brochure) and didn't think it would fit without rubbing the aluminum skin of the trailer and the propane bottle cover, so I opted for the 1000. The 1000 sits there nicely with plenty of clearance. I secure it with two web belts. The belts have a hook on either end; one hook is attached to the frame of the trailer, the other is attached to the angle iron that holds the propane bottles. The web belts snug down nicely and there is no movement.

Mike

Old 05-19-2003, 12:28 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

check this link out
http://irv2review.com/photopost/show...papass=&sort=1
On The Road, USA
gwsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 02:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
gwsullivan - I have seen that picture of the Bambi w/EU3000i previously. Looks like they moved the propane tanks forward to make room. This may be more alteration than I want to do.

Mike - do you have a picture of your EU1000i setup?

Anyone else solved this problem another way?
Old 05-19-2003, 02:45 PM   #5
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
propane powered?

could you carry it in your explorer if you converted it to propane?

no gasoline in the passenger compartment. you could leave it on the ground, connected to your lp system with a quick disconnect.

i think pick had some info on factory lp conversions for hondas.

just an idea. no flammables to spill in your rig.

john
Old 05-19-2003, 06:55 PM   #6

After seeing the pix of the 3000 & the Bambi, we were thinking about doing the same.
Increasing the tongue weight by 130Lb did not looked good, and we did not do anything yet.

Then, I don't know if any of you followed a post by SteveB2 where he talked about Airstream rating by the RV consumer's group ?
I thought he would be back on this forum and talk about the answer he got from them, and has posted on the Escapees forum:

"The hitch weight is another problem factor with Airstream because it is not only generally above the 10% optimum but, in many cases, it is close to or above the practical limit of 1,000 lbs that can be safely handled by most weight distributing hitches and towing vehicles."

Putting the generator on the tongue looks like a great solution.
In our case, we are not concerned with tow vehicle, but with the hitch rating. We have a fabricated hitch, 2" standard material.

Anybody cares to comment please on the possibility of going over hitch rating ?

here is the full thread on Escapees: AIRSTREAM and the RV Consumers Group
Old 05-19-2003, 07:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

"The hitch weight is another problem factor with Airstream because it is not only generally above the 10% optimum but, in many cases, it is close to or above the practical limit of 1,000 lbs that can be safely handled by most weight distributing hitches and towing vehicles"

Has anyone got actual figures on a unit in use? All outside storage, and much inside storage on an Airstream is at or behind the axles. This means a normal, traveling Airstream may have a lower tongue weight than when empty. I am wondering if anyone here has some figures from a weigh-in.

Mark
Old 05-19-2003, 07:32 PM   #8
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
forget the weights

i think that the people on that forum with the exception of moe are not aware of the fact airstreams have 4or6 wheel independent suspentions.

also, that "rv consumers group" needs to revise their software or actually tow an airstream.

just my opinion

john
Old 05-19-2003, 08:25 PM   #9

We were more and more confused about this tongue weight story when the hitch guy decided to make us a class V, instead of a IV. Still using our 2" receiver.
I still don't know about putting the generator on the tongue, don't know much about that receiver.
The welder who made it does not know anything about RVs, but he mostly works on farm machinery and logging trucks. I hope he erred on the side of overkilled.
Old 05-19-2003, 10:59 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1000 i Pix

I will try to get one uploaded in the next day or so.

Mike
Old 05-20-2003, 07:03 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
I am also concerned about excessive tongue weight on the hitch and tow vehicle. My Equal-i-zer brand hitch itself weighs around 100 lbs. Many people have two batteries on the tongue. A battery weighs about 50 lbs - so one battery with a EU2000i would be about the same. One battery and an EU3000i would weigh 80 lbs more.

80 lbs is really 80 lbs when it's located right on the hitch ball, every foot back from the hitch ball will transfer some weight back to the wheels. The weight distribution bars will reduce the downforce on the tow vehicle by transferring some to the trailer wheels. But how much is too much? The person in gwsullivan's link has an EU3000i on a Bambi, and towing it with a Honda Odyssey minivan!
Old 05-20-2003, 09:55 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
We recently replaced the complete "A" frame on a trailer that had a generator mounted on it along with the gas bottles.

Added to the problem was a heavy duty tow vehicle.

The "A" frame completely separated from the trailer.

It completely cracked in half, just rearward of the snap up bracket location.

Cause?

Excessive weight and excessive tow vehicle rigidity.

Best suggestion??

DON'T DO IT.

Andy
inlandrv.com
Old 04-13-2011, 05:02 PM   #13
Zia
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
2007 20' Safari
Irvine , California
I am considering mounting my Yamaha EF2400 (70Lb) obove the battery box move the propane bottles on each side of it on my 2007 20ft Safari. My tow vehicle is Lexus GX470 same year. I may also convert the genset to propane
Any advice or reccommendations, please.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:13 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd View Post
i think that the people on that forum with the exception of moe are not aware of the fact airstreams have 4or6 wheel independent suspentions.

also, that "rv consumers group" needs to revise their software or actually tow an airstream.

just my opinion

john
I must have lost two.