Old 04-18-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Quantico , Virginia
Homeschooling

Hi, my wife and i are in our 30's, homeschooling two kids, and been air-streaming for about a year. Interested if there are other airstream parents out there looking to share tips and ideas for growing brains on the road.

Steve

Old 04-18-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
My wife and I have thought about doing just that at some point. We just got back from a spring break trip from hell to FL at spring break. The traffic was terrible because you are forced to go on vacation the same time everyone else is. I would like to semi retire at some point and home school our daughter on the road.

What I have not found out yet is how short of a period can you home school?

Perry

Old 04-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
We have been homeschooling for a while... We have eight (8) kids, the oldest is 23 and married now, the youngest is 11. There were quite a few years when we were camping with the ten of us. We had the boys (4) in tents and the girls in the trailer. We had bunk trailers at that time and the kids were generally smaller (taking up less space). Now when we camp, we usually have only three or four kids along. This makes it a lot easier.

Anyway, the homeschooling has allowed us to camp "off season." Usually we would wait to mid to the end of September for our big trip of the year. It has worked out great. Also, any other time we wanted to get away, we did not have to worry about school, they just brought it along. One thing we like to do is to visit museums and other attractions as educational experiences. We would not change a thing.

By the way, our oldest two have graduated from college with Computer Engineering and Computer Science degrees, respectively (so homeschooling does seem to work ).
Old 04-19-2013, 07:33 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Quantico , Virginia
Hi, 10Smiles - I'm Kate, Steve's other half.

Do you use a curriculum - i.e. textbooks? We unschool, but I'm still concerned about the weight of our "school stuff" (mostly paper weight) when we travel this summer, so I'm always curious about how other people/Airstreamers deal with that issue. Steve's been researching different activities and field trips along the route we're taking this summer, so we're super-excited about that. I see a lot of hands-on learning in our futures!

Perry, you can talk to your local school district about homeschooling. Some are very accommodating - for instance, when my parents pulled me out of school the first time, I was midway through fourth grade. Our school district allowed my brother and me to finish the year at home, and basically told my mom what we needed to cover to advance to the next grade level. That said, some are decidedly homeschool-unfriendly, so you might want to do some research before you start asking "official" questions.

And 10Smiles, I totally agree with you that homeschooling seems to work - after being homeschooled on and off through grade school and unschooled all through high school, I went to college and graduated with a degree in psychology (which helps me homeschool our two little ones, lol.)
Old 04-19-2013, 10:50 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
Kate,
Good to hear about your positive experience with homeschooling. Since I have a regular job, we are not usually away for very long so the kids don't have to do their whole curriculum. They can just bring what they are behind on or what they need more work on. As a result, the weight is usually not very significant.
David