Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
LFM
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Laurel , Montana
Home dump stations

Living on a farm does have advantages. A barn for AS storage. And best of all, being on a septic system, which serves a dual purpose as our own private dumping station. We do have an exterior pipe (Cleanout tube) which serves great after a camping trip to just drain the tanks into. Also checked with our septic company, which said it was perfectly OK. Some systems may not work.
Just wondering if others have this "perk".

Greg
LFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Yep...

Sure comes in handy...black tank stays much cleaner, dumping at the end of the trip rather than at the campground, slosh,slosh.

Bob
Old 04-15-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
We are able to do the same thing at our home. It great to have other tank dumping options. Research to be sure the chemicals you use in your holding tanks will not damage the bacteria balance in your septic system. We do not use any black tank treatment that uses formaldehyde as an agent.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:16 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Midland , Texas
home dump station

Where we live is in the city but we have a septic tank. I am in the process of rigging up a dump station, I ordered the macerator pump on ebay, just received it. We want to be able to use the facilities in AS while parked at home without having to pull out to dump. Just need to be extremely careful what we put thru the black water system.
SStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
I don't live on a farm but I do have 5 acres so I can park my AS on the property along with my boat. A couple of years ago a put in a 30 AMP electric connection so I can keep it plugged in with all the conveniences. It's great to have it available to use as a guest "cabin". Luckily, the parking space is also located near a clean-out for our septic system. If we have have guests, they can use the facilities in the AS and we don't have to worry about hauling the trailer out to dump the waste.

One of our favorite places to dry camp is either El Capitan Beach or Refugio Beach near Santa Barbara, CA. There are no dump stations nor convenient places to dump septic nearby, so it's easy to just haul the waste home and dump it in the septic clean-out.

I wish I had a barn to park the AS in though!
Old 04-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
If you have good drains at your home, the outside clean-out works just fine. However, it's sometimes better to do this chore in the misty dawn or dark of night as nosy neighbors may think you're watering the lawn! Water if needed must be added from a garden hose. I carry a water pump and a couple of old drywall compound buckets. Good way to power up the flush on the Sewer Solution.

Hem - and changing subjects - "cheapness".

I spend too much time in campgrounds, because I still work, and it's just easier to have full services. My primary campground costs about $1500 for 30 to 33 weeks per year - but I can only stay on site for 28 days, then must hie myself off for a week before coming back. Sometimes I travel on business, and surprisingly often I'm invited to camp in a customer's parking lot for a day or two.

When I have to pay for a week at a Va. Beach Campground during summer rates with 11% tax (tourist gouging IMHO) I get sticker shock. $350 or more.
So last time I asked "how much for just water and electric? I saved $5 per day... which is a lotta cabbage even if the pre-processed version S***). So I took "non boondock showers" with the drain plug in, then used a small bucket to transfer the bulk of the water across the hall into the throne.

Did just fine, and when I returned to my main camp immediately hooked in and drained both tanks. Net savings for an 8 night stay was $40.

My question? HUH? The camp I departed had dump stations that campers could use for free - people just wanting to dump pay $8 to empty their tanks. And of course any camper can use the bath houses at no charge. Lessee here...?
  • same water consumption in bath house /RV bath
  • same "waste material" donated whether in bath house/camper
  • same amount of biologicals added to camp's drains whether through individual sewer hookup or dump station/bath house
  • $5 per night difference in price?
  • que pasa?
Definitely different day, same s***

Going GREEN ($40 worth) by not "going" in a private sewer connection. Odd is it not?

Paula
Old 04-15-2013, 08:12 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
2005 31' Classic
Douglass , Texas
Yep, I have the same ability on my 5 acre "farm".
jrudd1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
I have a sewer clean-out access pipe in my back yard within ~30' of my A/S. I run several 10' sections of 3"' pvc pipe with rubber couplers (available from Home Depot) to the clean-out and let gravity do the rest.
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:29 AM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
40 acre farm... gray water on the ground, black tanks get emptied with a sewer solution to a cleanout on the septic line. Building a new barn with a couple of 30 amp hookups as well as pads and drop lines to the septic system.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:11 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Cream Ridge , New Jersey
We have a septic system where we live on 4.5 acres. I transfer black and grey waste in one of those blue tanks on wheels to the cleanout as it is uphill from the trailer. Recently purchased a macerator pump and 3/4" hose but haven't used it yet. AS lives indoors when not in use.
Joe Palmieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:14 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
We have covered storage and use a macerator pump to reach a clean out at home, too.

It is easy to become very spoiled.

I am curious about the use of preservatives in the black tank. We completely quit using anything in the tanks several years ago, and have no issues with odor.

Do most folks still use the "blue" stuff?

Certainly, I would not empty my tanks into my home septic system if the tanks had any chemicals in them, i suspect trouble would result quite quickly.

We do add enzymes and yeast to our home septic tank regularly. I have always done so, and I have never had any difficulties.

We even added these things to our trailer black tank for a while, but I didn't see any benefit, so I quit.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:16 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Another benefit of having a farm is good fertilizer for corn & beans don't need to hook up to septic, just don't dump close to house
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:52 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Seems to me that there was a change in the formulation of black tank chemicals a few years back. We have a 30 amp plug with water and a dump pipe. AS is stored in our AS Hanger that is a drive through with a 30 amp plug and overhead lights.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:37 AM   #14
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I have added a more conveniently located "cleanout" at our city place and use the "sewer solution" to deal with the slight uphill grade.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:01 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
I've got one of these and a conveniently located clean out next to the house. I'm dump at the free campsite and fill it with about 5 gallons of water to slosh on the way home. I can also use the right angle double jet attachment I built for the pressure washer. Put it down the toilet... Way more effective than the swirly thing that goes on the end of a garden hose. My level sensor even works now.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...ump-system.htm
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:29 AM   #16

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple View Post
We have covered storage and use a macerator pump to reach a clean out at home, too.

It is easy to become very spoiled.

I am curious about the use of preservatives in the black tank. We completely quit using anything in the tanks several years ago, and have no issues with odor.

Do most folks still use the "blue" stuff?

Certainly, I would not empty my tanks into my home septic system if the tanks had any chemicals in them, i suspect trouble would result quite quickly.

We do add enzymes and yeast to our home septic tank regularly. I have always done so, and I have never had any difficulties.

We even added these things to our trailer black tank for a while, but I didn't see any benefit, so I quit.

Regards,

JD
I use the green "BioActive" liquid that purports to contain bacteria and enzymes that speed breakdown of solids and control odor. It has no fragrance added and claims to be safe for septic systems. I must confess that I've never NOT used it, so it may be that the venting system in the Argosy that keeps the stink out of the bathroom.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:34 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Doesn't everyone just do it this way?

utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote