2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thumbs up

Well said, SteveSueMac.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:45 PM   #16

Santa Barbara , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
bradrm00: Since you say, this is not a RV, I am curious, what market do you have in mind to sell to? I am guessing full timers, that rarely move from place to place?
Hi! Thanks for the reply and questions.

Our intention is to provide another option within multiple markets. Our goal is to provide a more sustainable option to housing, as well as recreational use. Although the unit is designed and manufactured for full-time living, it still functions just as a part time unit would. The unit which is RVIA certified, has exceptional capabilities to be your own full-time home or part-time home.

Old 11-27-2017, 02:40 PM   #17
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
So, with certification itís a porky RV, after all. Got it.

Just needs a Class 4 truck to move it.

And personal vehicles besides.

Thatís, sustainability in a nutshell.

Sell all you can. But try not to torture the language overmuch.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 02:46 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
So, it looks like an RV, has about as much space as an RV, but isn't an RV?
Old 11-27-2017, 02:54 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, walks like a duck. I bet it IS a duck.

Fun fact: The average commercial white duck generates 85 GALLONS of droppings a year...
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 04:54 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Sometime , Alabama
I really like a lot of the features of this design for full time traveling.

If it could just weigh in at less than 10,000 lbs
with less than 1,000 lbs hitch weight.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:34 AM   #21
Obviously-NOT

2017 30' Classic
Kalispell , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, walks like a duck. I bet it IS a duck.

Fun fact: The average commercial white duck generates 85 GALLONS of droppings a year...
And just what do commercial white ducks do for a year to doo so much?
Old 11-28-2017, 12:56 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Hoffman Architecture, Living Vehicle

They eat a LOT of grass and grain, then waffle around while they digest it.

Apparently their digestion is not that efficient.
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 03:09 PM   #23

1978 25' Tradewind
Santa barbara , California
Hi SteveSueMac,

Matthew Hofmann, founder of HofArc and designer of Living Vehicle here. I asked my colleague Brad to allow me to respond to your comment personally.

The only intention of the post is to represent Living Vehicle correctly. As conversations have begun forming on Airforums, it is important to me to accurately convey the purpose and intention behind the design. Personal preference and opinion will undoubtedly be varied, however as this is a new product, I want to clear up any misconception about it.

The comment you are referring to does indeed come from my own personal experience of being 6í5íí and living in Airstreams along with vans, trailers and boats since 2011. My company, HofArc, has completed 400 Airstream renovations to date, and we have done many customizations to lift the unit to accommodate for individuals that required more headspace.

I agree that this forum is a wonderful resource and Airstream owners are very knowledgeable. My team and I along with my father, who is a former Airstreamer as well, have been following this group for many years. During this time, we have gained significant feedback and be awareness of the needs of fellow travellers and full-timers when it comes to designing a product. There are countless threads regarding Airstream wish lists, ranging from storage to 4-season capability. Weíve used this information along with the feedback of our own clients and our own personal experiences to develop the best possible product for full time living.

I completely agree with your 2nd point. My company, Hofmann Architecture, has been in Airstream niche since 2011 back when I quit my Architecture job and renovated my first Airstream to live in while I was starting my own Architecture firm. It is from this experience that I believe that Airstreams are not fundamentally designed for full time living. I believe that they are great for weekend adventures and road trips as well as many other creative uses that our clients have customized units for. Since LVís primary use is for full time living, I donít believe we are in the same category and therefore have no reason to speak negatively about them or their product. Airstream will always hold a very dear place in my heart, as it has been the foundation for living a more intentional life and has inspired several business, including the Santa Barbara Autocamp which I co-founded. I think Airstreams are iconic and beautiful, and believe that they will continue to serve their niche and inspire people to live riveted for many years to come. They have a great team over in Ohio and I wish them nothing but success.

As my own personal charger and our company mission, we are looking to fill the niche of people looking to live full time with our latest product, Living Vehicle. Our 10-20 year goal is to create a unit that is fully sufficient and capable of supporting life perpetually. Over the years we will be working on incorporating technology and systems that will allow us to create water and produce all power directly from natural energy. Most of all, we are passionate about creating a sustainable product that will last for generations and support life as the landscape of our world shifts and energies are becoming depleted.

Would be happy to continue the conversation offline if you are interested. Feel free to contact me through our website www.hofarc.com and Iíd be greatful to speak with you directly.

Cheers,
Matthew Hofmann
Old 11-28-2017, 08:21 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Thank you Brad and Matthew for jumping on this thread and providing additional details. You have done a beautiful job with so many Airstream projects and I totally get it with your thoughts behind the Living Vehicle. As this thread starter, I'm really sorry to see the negative comments you are receiving here.

My biggest disappointment when I first heard of the Living Vehicle was that it threw a wet blanket on my dream that you would be a consultant for Airstream in the near future. They sure could use someone that understands a clean, modern esthetic.

Airstream keeps blowing it in recent years compared to the original International CCD's. From upper cabinets in the Int. Signatures changing to off white instead staying with white, started slapping wall paper in the Tommy Bahama's, hardware choices in the Globetrotter's, just poor choice after poor choice.

I understand your prospective on height even though I don't share the same challenge. The world is getting taller and for younger buyers, it needs to be addressed. I deal with this all the time with younger buyers for custom homes.

Thanks again thoughts and hope to see one of your Living Vehicles when we are in your area in a few months.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:55 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Macon , Georgia
I would like to understand more about the towability of the trailer. It is not very aerodynamic and I would think it would suffer from stability on the road and would not be very fuel efficient. I understand that is not your primary design criteria. I do really like the many features you have built in, and I understand that many are the result of the straight wall design. I do think you are on to an innovative idea, if you could somehow marry your livability features with a more efficient towable design.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:20 PM   #26

Santa Barbara , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
I would like to understand more about the towability of the trailer. It is not very aerodynamic and I would think it would suffer from stability on the road and would not be very fuel efficient. I understand that is not your primary design criteria. I do really like the many features you have built in, and I understand that many are the result of the straight wall design. I do think you are on to an innovative idea, if you could somehow marry your livability features with a more efficient towable design.
Thank you for your kind words and thoughtful response. Safety and stability while driving is a top priority. Living Vehicle is designed and engineered to keep the weight low and close to the ground. The ceiling, walls and other components are designed to be lightweight, thus maximizing top-light design. All water tanks are located directly above the axles. All this provides for the most stable towing ride possible. The utility basement design contains the heaviest appliances, storage compartments, and equipment so that they have a low center of gravity in the vessel. Living Vehicle is designed to have ideal weight distribution for balanced towing.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:21 PM   #27

1978 25' Tradewind
Santa barbara , California
Thanks HeadWest, we appreciate your support and kind words. We are proud of what we've created and wholeheartedly embrace the challenges ahead of us. We'll have a unit in SB just after the New Year, and will also be hitting the road with it. Will make sure to let you know the details as we'd love to hear your feedback after you see the unit in person and have the opportunity to interact with it.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:58 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hofarc View Post
We'll have a unit in SB just after the New Year, and will also be hitting the road with it. Will make sure to let you know the details as we'd love to hear your feedback after you see the unit in person and have the opportunity to interact with it.
Do you plan on being at any RV shows next year with it?