Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-28-2017, 05:34 AM   #21
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, walks like a duck. I bet it IS a duck.

Fun fact: The average commercial white duck generates 85 GALLONS of droppings a year...
And just what do commercial white ducks do for a year to doo so much?
Old 11-28-2017, 11:56 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Hoffman Architecture, Living Vehicle

They eat a LOT of grass and grain, then waffle around while they digest it.

Apparently their digestion is not that efficient.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:09 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Santa barbara , California
Hi SteveSueMac,

Matthew Hofmann, founder of HofArc and designer of Living Vehicle here. I asked my colleague Brad to allow me to respond to your comment personally.

The only intention of the post is to represent Living Vehicle correctly. As conversations have begun forming on Airforums, it is important to me to accurately convey the purpose and intention behind the design. Personal preference and opinion will undoubtedly be varied, however as this is a new product, I want to clear up any misconception about it.

The comment you are referring to does indeed come from my own personal experience of being 6’5’’ and living in Airstreams along with vans, trailers and boats since 2011. My company, HofArc, has completed 400 Airstream renovations to date, and we have done many customizations to lift the unit to accommodate for individuals that required more headspace.

I agree that this forum is a wonderful resource and Airstream owners are very knowledgeable. My team and I along with my father, who is a former Airstreamer as well, have been following this group for many years. During this time, we have gained significant feedback and be awareness of the needs of fellow travellers and full-timers when it comes to designing a product. There are countless threads regarding Airstream wish lists, ranging from storage to 4-season capability. We’ve used this information along with the feedback of our own clients and our own personal experiences to develop the best possible product for full time living.

I completely agree with your 2nd point. My company, Hofmann Architecture, has been in Airstream niche since 2011 back when I quit my Architecture job and renovated my first Airstream to live in while I was starting my own Architecture firm. It is from this experience that I believe that Airstreams are not fundamentally designed for full time living. I believe that they are great for weekend adventures and road trips as well as many other creative uses that our clients have customized units for. Since LV’s primary use is for full time living, I don’t believe we are in the same category and therefore have no reason to speak negatively about them or their product. Airstream will always hold a very dear place in my heart, as it has been the foundation for living a more intentional life and has inspired several business, including the Santa Barbara Autocamp which I co-founded. I think Airstreams are iconic and beautiful, and believe that they will continue to serve their niche and inspire people to live riveted for many years to come. They have a great team over in Ohio and I wish them nothing but success.

As my own personal charger and our company mission, we are looking to fill the niche of people looking to live full time with our latest product, Living Vehicle. Our 10-20 year goal is to create a unit that is fully sufficient and capable of supporting life perpetually. Over the years we will be working on incorporating technology and systems that will allow us to create water and produce all power directly from natural energy. Most of all, we are passionate about creating a sustainable product that will last for generations and support life as the landscape of our world shifts and energies are becoming depleted.

Would be happy to continue the conversation offline if you are interested. Feel free to contact me through our website www.hofarc.com and I’d be greatful to speak with you directly.

Cheers,
Matthew Hofmann
Hofarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:21 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Thank you Brad and Matthew for jumping on this thread and providing additional details. You have done a beautiful job with so many Airstream projects and I totally get it with your thoughts behind the Living Vehicle. As this thread starter, I'm really sorry to see the negative comments you are receiving here.

My biggest disappointment when I first heard of the Living Vehicle was that it threw a wet blanket on my dream that you would be a consultant for Airstream in the near future. They sure could use someone that understands a clean, modern esthetic.

Airstream keeps blowing it in recent years compared to the original International CCD's. From upper cabinets in the Int. Signatures changing to off white instead staying with white, started slapping wall paper in the Tommy Bahama's, hardware choices in the Globetrotter's, just poor choice after poor choice.

I understand your prospective on height even though I don't share the same challenge. The world is getting taller and for younger buyers, it needs to be addressed. I deal with this all the time with younger buyers for custom homes.

Thanks again thoughts and hope to see one of your Living Vehicles when we are in your area in a few months.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:55 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
I would like to understand more about the towability of the trailer. It is not very aerodynamic and I would think it would suffer from stability on the road and would not be very fuel efficient. I understand that is not your primary design criteria. I do really like the many features you have built in, and I understand that many are the result of the straight wall design. I do think you are on to an innovative idea, if you could somehow marry your livability features with a more efficient towable design.
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:20 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Santa Barbara , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
I would like to understand more about the towability of the trailer. It is not very aerodynamic and I would think it would suffer from stability on the road and would not be very fuel efficient. I understand that is not your primary design criteria. I do really like the many features you have built in, and I understand that many are the result of the straight wall design. I do think you are on to an innovative idea, if you could somehow marry your livability features with a more efficient towable design.
Thank you for your kind words and thoughtful response. Safety and stability while driving is a top priority. Living Vehicle is designed and engineered to keep the weight low and close to the ground. The ceiling, walls and other components are designed to be lightweight, thus maximizing top-light design. All water tanks are located directly above the axles. All this provides for the most stable towing ride possible. The utility basement design contains the heaviest appliances, storage compartments, and equipment so that they have a low center of gravity in the vessel. Living Vehicle is designed to have ideal weight distribution for balanced towing.
bradrm00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 05:21 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Thanks HeadWest, we appreciate your support and kind words. We are proud of what we've created and wholeheartedly embrace the challenges ahead of us. We'll have a unit in SB just after the New Year, and will also be hitting the road with it. Will make sure to let you know the details as we'd love to hear your feedback after you see the unit in person and have the opportunity to interact with it.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:58 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hofarc View Post
We'll have a unit in SB just after the New Year, and will also be hitting the road with it. Will make sure to let you know the details as we'd love to hear your feedback after you see the unit in person and have the opportunity to interact with it.
Do you plan on being at any RV shows next year with it?
Old 01-28-2018, 02:36 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Huntington Beach , California
I came about Hofmann Living Vehicle while looking into airstream upgrades to address some of the shortcomings that have come to annoy us. Yes, exterior design is different but literally everything else seems to be on another level of quality and features. A proper 4 season trailer.. with all of the goodies included that many of us wish we had.. for a price that would be near or less than a scratch built custom built airstream, which still wouldn’t compare to this new rig. Yes, too heavy for a 1500. But at 31 feet, and for full timing, I think it a reasonable trade off. I would be interested in a lighter 27ish foot model. We aren’t far from their location and intend to view one in the next month or so. They have thought of a lot of little things. The kitchen could use some color or warmth.

I really would love to ditch the plywood subfloors, broken latches after two uses, poor insulation, cramped bathroom and shower, limited storage, cheap electronics, loud heater/water pump, etc.

...but would miss the rivets, curves or panorama windows

In any case, it’s great to see this level of quality hit the market. Sorely needed.. and I am surprised Airstream has not stepped up to offer this.. perhaps they will soon.
Old 01-28-2018, 02:47 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brav View Post
I came about Hofmann Living Vehicle while looking into airstream upgrades to address some of the shortcomings that have come to annoy us...with all of the goodies included that many of us wish we had.. for a price that would be near or less than a scratch built custom built airstream, which still wouldn’t compare to this new rig.
What is the price?
Old 01-28-2018, 03:02 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Huntington Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
What is the price?
I read on another site that it was 129,995 “well equipped”, which would be between the price of a Globetrotter and a Classic.. value wise, seems way ahead of Airstream. Especially if you compare the cost of tech upgrades alone to make it close to comparable with the LV. You’re already ahead.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:25 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Unfortunate it looks like it would tow like pushing a brick through the air, if it’s the one I’m thinking of...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:43 AM   #33
1 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Hi there, just wanted to update you as promised to let you know that Living Vehicle is on site here in Santa Barbara available to view. If you're interested in planning a visit or would like to stay updated on news, events and opportunities to view the unit please signup through our website http://www.livingvehicle.com. We just returned from a very successful 7 day off-grid test trip and launched our 2018 model with a reduced weight of 7,992. An exciting start to 2018!

Cheers, M
Old 04-20-2018, 05:22 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hofarc View Post
Hi there, just wanted to update you as promised to let you know that Living Vehicle is on site here in Santa Barbara available to view. If you're interested in planning a visit or would like to stay updated on news, events and opportunities to view the unit please signup through our website http://www.livingvehicle.com. We just returned from a very successful 7 day off-grid test trip and launched our 2018 model with a reduced weight of 7,992. An exciting start to 2018!

Cheers, M
The reduced weight is really great... we tow our 31' AS with a Mercedes R320 CDI, which means I'm keenly aware of what I'm pulling. Interested to know where the weight savings came from.

I see the price has increased for 2018 as well; to that is that attributed?

Lastly, I just received LV's latest email, touting over 250 design changes for 2018... can you tell us what some of those design changes are? Couldn't find them listed on your website and hard to tell what's different in the videos.

Thanks! Looking forward to hearing more.
trekerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:18 PM   #35
Still Dreaming

1971 29' Ambassador
Sulphur Springs , Texas
There are so many low end entries in the market place, it is a joy to see some pressure up toward the top. Good Luck.
Manning G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 12:46 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

Greetings,

Please contact us directly at hello@livingvehicle.com to learn more about some of the 250 changes. We are excited to hear from you!
Old 04-24-2018, 01:00 PM   #37
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekerboy View Post
The reduced weight is really great... we tow our 31' AS with a Mercedes R320 CDI, which means I'm keenly aware of what I'm pulling. Interested to know where the weight savings came from.

I see the price has increased for 2018 as well; to that is that attributed?

Lastly, I just received LV's latest email, touting over 250 design changes for 2018... can you tell us what some of those design changes are? Couldn't find them listed on your website and hard to tell what's different in the videos.

Thanks! Looking forward to hearing more.
Hey there. I'd love to spend more time discussing this with you. If you're interested please contact me at hello@livingvehicle.com. We like to support our prospective clients on a personal basis. Thanks again.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:33 PM   #38
1 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
We're excited to announce Living Vehicle is currently at the California RV Show in Pomona through this Sunday. Founders Matthew and Joanna Hofmann will be there Sat & Sun to answer questions. You can see a live walk through on air tomorrow on KTLA Channel 5 at 8:30am. We hope to see you there!
Old 10-10-2018, 10:35 PM   #39
1 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Hi there, just wanted to let you know the newest Living Vehicle model is currently at the California RV Show in Pomona through this Sunday. Founders Matthew and Joanna Hofmann will be there Sat & Sun to answer questions. Cheers!
Old 10-10-2018, 10:37 PM   #40
1 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Hi there, just wanted to let you know the latest Living Vehicle model is currently at the California RV Show in Pomona through this Sunday. Founders Matthew and Joanna Hofmann will be there Sat & Sun to answer questions. We hope to see you there!