Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-05-2017, 03:25 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I knew it was windy in Kansas when birds were flying 5' off the ground. When they'd get to a tree they'd go up, over, and right back down. Never saw that before. The sky was blue without a cloud, but it was the "High Plains."
It was so windy here in Estancia I saw a couple of prairie dogs in a dust cloud trying to dig themselves back down.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:52 PM   #42
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
"Slowing down helps." This is excellent advice. If the highway was absolutely straight from here to there, with no curves or hills, one could factor the wind into the speed and just drive. Unfortunately, there are very few roads like that. The wind that is dead on your nose right now might be coming from the left front in a half mile, then the right front, then back to on the nose, etc. As you drive you move through the front, or whatever happens to be creating the wind, and the wind is now coming from a different direction, even though you are still headed more or less in the same direction.

My personal preference is to have a headwind over a tailwind. Why? The headwind, or mostly headwind, is pushing on the steering axle, while a tailwind, or mostly tailwind, is pushing on the trailer. That makes the trailer try to steer the truck, rather than the other way around.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 06:53 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Is it better to run with full tanks with wind gust? I have a 5hr drive ahead and we have 40-50mph wind gust advisories. SW winds directly perpendicular to my direction. F150 pulling a 25FB.😬🙄
s1000pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 07:17 AM   #44
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
5 hours of 40-50 mph gusting crosswinds will wear you out
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 07:29 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
A full fresh tank is better in most ways but can be detrimental in some also. The fresh tank is between the axles and so the additional weight will not add to sway or oversteer instability in most situations, that is it won't increase propensity to sway, it will delay the onset slightly. It will also increase trailer cornering slip and aid stability on hard cornering. The weight won't aid significantly in damping it until it becomes severe and then it may be too late. Also on steep winding downgrades the extra weight becomes a negative also.

So if you are mostly on the flat or rolling hills, fill the fresh water only. Do not carry water in the grey or black tanks if you can avoid it, as it is always detrimental to stability. Add 5-7 psi more than the load guidance to the F150 rear tires and run 2 psi under on the front. Run 55 psi in the trailer. Bias the cargo in the truck forward as much as possible.

What kind of hitch are you using?

Edit: if you have any questions or concerns about the guidance ask!
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 07:33 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
I was planning on draining all the tanks...I’m winterizing this thing tomorrow. I didn’t know if the additional low weight helped with crosswinds. I’m driving through Iowa & Minnesota. Straight roads as flat as a pancake. Unfortunately in the wide open plains!!!
Old 10-17-2020, 07:41 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
You might start with water in the tank, and the trailer tires at 55psi. If you find the movement tiring, add 5 psi to the tires and see how that helps, add five more if it does.
Old 10-17-2020, 07:49 AM   #48
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
We towed across South Dakota a few weeks ago. I don’t know how strong the headwinds and crosswinds were, but it was difficult to open our truck doors when we stopped, and there were highway signs blown over. My truck only managed 7.5 mpg in that wind. It was certainly a tiring drive, but I found that keeping my speed around 60 mph was helpful. The Airstream was certainly moving around more than usual, but I never felt unsafe, or like I was having issues controlling it. I think the slower speed was important for me.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:04 AM   #49
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
we are anal weather watchers, and adjust are plans by it. But sometimes you get caught, or your plans can't be altered or there are no alternatives. Look at the hourly forecast and if leaving earlier is less risky make your plans to leave earlier. Our yearly travels include going thru Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri in April, and it can be very challenging, and have laid over or alter routes to avoid potential extreme weather, but have still been caught. Accuweather offers the most current doppler radar, and weather radar on Sirius can be helpful. Driving in strong cross winds especially on Interstates where a passing semi can block the wind or traveling under an overpass temporarily blocks the wind can give you a rush. And like I said, it will wear you out
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 04:53 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Thanks for everyones feedback. I ran with tanks empty and very little tail wag. I recently increased tension on my Blue Ox by one link and everything felt really stable! Definitely didn't feel as white knuckled as I thought I would. Thanks again!!!
Old 10-23-2020, 02:31 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Good to hear, curious if you did anything with tire pressures.
Old 10-23-2020, 02:47 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
No, left the tire pressure as is. Typically decreasing pressure increases floatation...in every direction. You get a 5,000 lb. trailer moving just a little due to the flexibility in side wall, your going to feel it! I personally feel solid is more predictable... Thats just my "opinion"
Old 10-23-2020, 02:50 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
You are spot on, I was thinking perhaps you raised trailer or rear TV pressure a bit. As you noted, the stiffer sidewall improves cornering stiffness and reduces both the bounce you mentioned and also side slip.
Old 10-24-2020, 11:30 AM   #54
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Henderson , Kentucky
Your confidence in driving should be the answer here. If gusts are too much stop. 40 mph gust, funneled cross winds, would not make travel fun, and white knuckle experience is not fun. Why chance if can wait? My thoughts, if traveling, would go slow and easy. Tighten friction on sway bar for highway travel. Adjust tongue weight and load heavier up front. Adjust trailer level front slightly down. Follow a like speed semi to cut wind. Stop if any belief unsafe. Be Safe.