Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2017, 12:02 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
belen , New Mexico
Sw winds

I've never had problems on I 10

I 40 is a diferent animal

Totally trashed a slide out cover two years ago.
alantbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:05 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
If you are using sway control, you shouldn't have any major issues. Airstreams are aerodynamically designed so you shouldn't notice any major push. Not much more than the feeling you get being passed by a semi. Slow down until you get comfortable with it. I've run along Lake Michigan with gusts to 60 mph and had no problems. Blowing sand and dust is another issue - no sense sandblasting the trailer and the vehicle if you don't have to.
Jwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:10 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
One of the main reasons that I bought an AS was the shape.
In a field with high winds, it will better stand against the wind as opposed to a high sided box.
A windy day in my Hi'Lo convinced me.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:18 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We were at Roper Lake State Park near Safford, AZ north of I-10 last weekend to meet friends from NM. We didn't have any issues with the wind ourselves headed east on I-10 from Tucson, but the friends heading west on I-10 hit wind so bad that they decided to make an unscheduled stop in Deming for the night. They said it was so bad they could barely get their Airstream door open against it, then when they did, they had to hold on to it to make sure it didn't slam into the side of the trailer. Good thing they closed it, actually, because I-10 got shut down due to blinding dust ... They detoured traffic north from Lordsburg, NM west into AZ and south through Safford to pick up I-10 again. We have been in blinding dust storms on I-10 between Lordsburg and Bowie, AZ. It's a notorious stretch. You may think "What's a little dust?" but when you can't see 5 feet in front of your vehicle it is a very scary and extremely dangerous thing. Pull off the road as far as you can, turn your lights OFF and wait it out. (Turning your lights off sounds counter-intuitive, but if you have your lights on someone may see you, assume you are moving and crash right into you.) Be safe out there!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:08 PM   #25
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
We decided to hunker down since our route home puts us on 60 and the weather in Pie Town and Springerville is cold windy and wet. We did get to visit the UFO museum. Tomorrow looks much better.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:16 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
I would be more concerned about some 18 wheeler that is empty and running to pick up a load; time is money which can cloud better judgement. I would hate to get involved in a multi-vehicle pile up or have a 40' trailer blow over on me as it is passing. Reason enough to stay put.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:04 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Kansas , Topeka
Hang in there

Forecast shows winds down on Wednesday. We're in Alamagordo and waiting it out before we head west.
BDowse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 03:57 PM   #28
Classy Roscoe

We are in Marathon, Texas just now on the way to Big Ben. Pulled in next to a guy that is retired from NOAA. He has a weather monitor setup tied to his trailer. Wind gusting to 55 MPH, sustained at 35 MPH.

This pattern should clear in next 18 hours.

His advice, unless you just like to gamble, find a spot at set it out.

We agree. Will make the park a day later. Once this front to the north clears, it will be beautiful.

Stay safe.
Jekerrville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 04:01 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Re: Southwest Desert "Haboobs"

TBRich's quote: "Pull off the road as far as you can, turn your lights OFF and wait it out. (Turning your lights off sounds counter-intuitive, but if you have your lights on someone may see you, assume you are moving and crash right into you.)"

Added note: Keep your foot off of the brake pedal, too.

Personally, we look for an exit ramp or rest area to stop. If these are nearby, it's better to get completely off of the roadway and shoulder. Or, if semi's have stopped, park in front of one; and use it as a protective crash barrier.

In most cases, southwest desert dust storms (a.k.a., "haboobs") are short-lived weather fronts and will pass in a few minutes. However, depending on the exact nature of the storm system, they can last several hours or more.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 04:16 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
. . .
Personally, we look for an exit ramp or rest area to stop. If these are nearby, it's better to get completely off of the roadway and shoulder.
. . .
Precisely! We were going north on I-5 from LA to San Francisco, and hit very heavy fog in the central valley north of the LA mountains. Dense and impenetrable.

Cars were flying by us, as we crawled along with our emergency flashers on, praying for the next exit to arrive soon. [in the 90's before GPS and electronic maps.] Sure enough we were able to exit and wait a few hours in a truck stop, napping in the AS, until the fog lifted.

There was a multi-vehicle accident on the stretch of road we had just avoided, with fatalities!

Sometimes being in a hurry is simply a headlong rush toward death.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 04:40 PM   #31
demijac

2014 27' FB Classic
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to demijac
It Depends

The answer to your question is it depends as everybody has a different degree of perceived risk tolerance, tow vehicle, hitch set up, and timetable for getting to where they are going.

If it had been us in your situation, visibility would have been the deciding factor as the wind speeds you described would have been a total non-issue while pulling our 27FB with our sway control.

Having said that, if you're in situations where you are not sure, you can never go wrong hunkering down in a safe place and waiting out adverse conditions.
demijac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:11 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by demijac View Post
The answer to your question is it depends as everybody has a different degree of perceived risk tolerance, tow vehicle, hitch set up, and timetable for getting to where they are going.

If it had been us in your situation, visibility would have been the deciding factor as the wind speeds you described would have been a total non-issue while pulling our 27FB with our sway control.

Having said that, if you're in situations where you are not sure, you can never go wrong hunkering down in a safe place and waiting out adverse conditions.
Thanks for the input. That was the decision point for us after considering all the other factors (TV, hitch, timing). We are glad it worked out and we also had back up plan to stop or turnaround if necessary.
luforia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:16 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
Update #2: I-10 definitely required our attention and hands on the wheel throughout, especially next to those 18 wheelers. The 1/2 Sierra w/ Max Tow held up really well pulling 25' Safari. Reese sway control did all the work in taking put the gusts. So so happy I am pulling an AS behind me.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:02 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Ferndale , Washington
We left Santa Fe in route to Monument Valley today. Winds were high and gusty but we had very little problem pulling our 30' with our RAM 1500 with a Blue Ox hitch. It was cross wind from Santa Fe to Bernalello and then on our nose to Farmington and then it settled down. We have a guided jeep tour tomorrow morning so we needed to go. Weather is beautiful here at Goulding! As others have said, Airstream's tow much better than other trailers I have towed. We kept it at 60 in the crosswind and bumped it to 65 the rest of the way.
Riverdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:44 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Phoenix: "In most cases, southwest desert dust storms (a.k.a., "haboobs") are short-lived weather fronts and will pass in a few minutes. However, depending on the exact nature of the storm system, they can last several hours or more."

So... these storms are either short...or long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdrifter View Post
.... We have a guided jeep tour tomorrow morning so we needed to go. ....
The most common reason for wx-related accidents.... "we needed to go..."
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:21 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
They closed Highway 10 for heavy winds last Friday it's been open since . If the road is open at Lordsburg to the Safford feeder, then you are probably okay
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:22 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
To paraphrase an old saying from aviation, "It is far better to be parked wishing you were on the road, than on the road wishing you were parked."

Schedule be darned--we had 50 mile sustained winds with gusts to 65-70 in West Texas on one return trip. Had stabilizers down tight, and the rig was still rocking. Spent a nice day watching local TV and only as needed, walking the dogs. Their desire to go outside was tempered by the wind--they didn't like it either!

Even with a PP hitch, and a rig that tows nicely in the wind, it just was not worth the risk. YMMV...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:38 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2013 19' International
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by luforia View Post
Hi All, currently parked at RV park in Roswell on our way home to San Diego, there's a high wind advisory, 15-40mph thruout the day in the local area. Wind is currently 17mph, will be in 30mph range in a couple of hours. Better to brave the wind and get out of area or stay put?
You could stay put but is often that windy in the area you are traveling through. Slowing down helps. Fifth wheels and class A motorhomes will be your canaries in the coal mine. If they are all pulling off of the road, you should too.
AL4411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:12 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AL4411 View Post
You could stay put but is often that windy in the area you are traveling through. Slowing down helps. Fifth wheels and class A motorhomes will be your canaries in the coal mine. If they are all pulling off of the road, you should too.
Thanks, that was my other reference as well. I saw more staying on the road, helpful to see that others were doing fine.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:58 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I knew it was windy in Kansas when birds were flying 5' off the ground. When they'd get to a tree they'd go up, over, and right back down. Never saw that before. The sky was blue without a cloud, but it was the "High Plains."
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote