Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-06-2002, 06:02 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Hensley with a Tracker

Would my rig be safer with a Hensley? Tracker pulling Airstream Classic 25'......

Please no rhetoric...just yes or no.
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 06:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Too much gray!!

Way too much rhetoric for me
John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 06:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Kistler,

I looked at your tow rating and no, the hensley wouldn't make you safer since you are unsafe to begin with. I know you don't want to hear this, but we all share the roads
Peace, John
Old 12-06-2002, 06:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Appreciate the reply...was hoping for yes or no replys Don't you think being unsafe to begin with that the Hensley exascerbates my problem? (sp?) of exacerbates

Kistler
Old 12-06-2002, 08:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Just looked at your profile... yeah... 'bout the same as towin' with a Tracker!

Duckin' and runnin'
Old 12-06-2002, 11:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Don't get it

I looked at your profile - a Jeep GC with v8 doesn't seem that out of line if he's running light.? The Hensley should help with sway, stability, but I don't have one to speak from experience. Do you have a problem currently?
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 05:58 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Kistler;

You are talking about a Chevrolet Tracker, right?

Series ---- 2-Door------ 4-Door

— 2WD ---1000/453 ----1500/680
— 4x4 --- 1000/453 ----1500/680

1 Maximum trailer weight ratings are calculated assuming a base vehicle, except for any option(s) necessary to achieve the rating, plus driver. The weight of other optional equipment, passengers and cargo will reduce the maximum trailer weight your vehicle can tow. See your Chevy dealer for additional details.

http://www.chevrolet.com/tracker/lib...trailering.htm

-BobbyW

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 08:21 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
NO
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 02:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
OOHHHH

"But didn't that ad on T.V. show a Tracker pulling a broken down semi?" I looked again at Kistler's profile, it shows "jeep GC v8." Kistler, I wouldn't try a Chev Tracker. "No"
Marc
Old 12-07-2002, 02:57 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Thanks for replying everybody....yeah I do not have a Tracker BUT the Hensley would only add to my weight problems at this point....tow vehicle being Jeep GC V8 Quadra.....which was what I was hoping to garner from my ridiculous question....

That the Hensley would put me more beyond the safe perameters. We are shopping for a new tow vehicle; the problem is we do not wish for a truck.

Most of what we are interested in do not have a much longer wheel base.....Durango, Escalade AND the suburban types (built on 3/4 chassis) won't fit in our garage.

Anybody have suggestions?

Kistler
Old 12-07-2002, 03:52 PM   #11
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
chev

how about a chevy trail blazer? the new inline six is 275 hp.
and i believe you can get it with 4.10 rear end.

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 03:56 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Tow car?

I seem to be in the same "boat," so to speak. The wife really doesn' want a truck, and when we travel (with our boat, before trailer) about six of us went in our Chev Astro. The Astro really doesn't have the guts to make it over the passes around Seattle, flat and semi-level is fine however (we have a van with the heavy duty suspension). I looked at Buick Roadmaster's (94's with LT-1 engine) but overly long for the garage, and the wife's not too fond of these. If I forget about size, the Chev Express looks great - I only wish it had a diesel for economy, and was about 5 thou cheaper. I'm trying to convince my wife that an older Dodge van (al Uwe) would be perfect, and I'd buy her a car for everyday use.
I've also read online about V8 conversions for the Astro - but we've had so many problems with the two Astro's we've had (its the only car/van I know that can shed parts and still work!) that I'm reluctant to invest in it.
Why doesn't the V8 GC work? Is the wheelbase too short and sways?
Marc
Old 12-07-2002, 03:59 PM   #13
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
and a 5.3 v 8

http://www.chevrolet.com/trailblazer...trailering.htm

here is their page, looks like they added a 5.3 v8 for '03

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 04:07 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Actually the Jeep does OK power wise....it is mostly the wheel base sway control (and the fact the dealer doesn't wish to install a Reese dual cam system) problems....

Power is adequate for us....we can go as fast as we wish to and it stops great. We haven't experienced the "oscillating" that was described somewhere in this forum.

Had side winds on the way to Parker and seemed to have very little effect.....trucks passing us either...

Kistler
Old 12-07-2002, 04:48 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Hensley would help!

Kistler,

The Hensley would improve weigh distribution and sway(no-sway!!!). It's also very smooth in turns, going forward and backing-in. It's worth the money and it would make you safer, since your on the bubble. Safety is having good brakes, driving at a safe speed and providing good maintance.
I can relate on vehicle size too. Fuel mileage is important to me and since I fulltime and I'm NEVER in a hurry, I don't need to have a tow vehicle that can go at the max hwy speed limit while pulling steep passes. Now I can can understand how when folks are on vacation they may pull 700 miles in a day, where I pull max 200 per day. So it's all in your personal needs and safety.
Continue to ask because we all do
John
Old 12-07-2002, 05:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
How much does a Hensley weigh do you think? We are perfectly happy with the Jeep ... even towing. Can't use overdrive but that doesn't really matter at 50-55 mph.

I can't find my Trailer Life Tow Vehicle Ratings Chart but I believe actually the Durango is rated to tow less pounds than what our Jeep is set up for..

Escalade is supposed to be coming out with the 3/4 chassis and 500 hp engine in 2003 sometime BUT they cost about $10,000 more than our Jeep AND will probably not fit in our garage.

We don't full time but 200-250 miles is it for us so the 50-55 mph is just right.

"Oscillating" is apparently what I call whipping; that is really scary; experienced that with a UHaul trailer when I was young.

Does anyone know what starts whipping; as nearly as I can tell my rig is not prone to that. I have tried (with no one around on the road) swerving and causing the whipping....doesn't seem to want to do that.

Kistler
Old 12-07-2002, 10:09 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
My guess would be that the Hensley adds 50-70 lbs over the weight of a conventional weight distributing hitch setup, when you consider the drop bar that goes in the truck receiver as well.

I've seen two rules of thumb for wheelbase to trailer fit.

The first I call the overly conservative one, says a 110" wheelbase is right for a 20' trailer and for every additional foot of trailer you need 4" more wheelbase. That would say you'd need a 129-130" vehicle... and I'd need a 170+" Crew Cab long bed.

The second I call overly optimistic. It says that wheelbase must be at least half the distance from the center of the rearmost axle to the center of the ball. For me that measures 280" and says I'd need a 140" Super Cab Short Bed. And I know someone who's towed a 34' Classic through 49 states with that truck with no problems.

I prefer to compromise at my 158" SuperCab LongBed or a 156" Crew Cab Short Bed for that trailer. Neither of these trucks are as manuverable in parking lots as the 140", especially with 4WD, though.

You might try making the measurement for the second "rule of thumb" and see where you come out with your current truck.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-08-2002, 07:57 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Hi Kistler

You may want to consider the new Ford Explorer. Since they have redesigned them with independent rear suspension and lowered the centre of gravity they are quite a capable tow vehicle. I have driven several and have been very impressed with the handling and ride. Handling will be miles better than the Jeep. Other than the BMW X5 and Mercedies ML series it is the best handling SUV I have towed with.

The 4.6 litre is a bullet proof engine and combined with the 5 speed automatic it performs very well. It is reasonably economical to drive as well.

The base models come with 235/70 x 16" tires the more delux ones come with 255 tires. It is important to have the 235 tires as these have substantially less sidewall roll.

The only weakness I have found is that the factory hitch is not very strong and should be strengthened considerably. This is not isolated to the Explorer as most factory hitches are pretty light these days. You may be able to find an old time hitch shop in your area that still fabricates custom hitches to weld some reinforcement onto it. If the people are good they will understand what to do as soon as they look at it.

A Hensley is still a good idea and it will further improve the handling.

I hope this helps.

Andy
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 08:01 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Thanks for the reply, Andy. My Jeep has the HO 4.7 V8 so the power is not that bad/actually better than a 350 Chev 3/4 ton PU I once had pulling a 5er....

Some of my problem is the Jeep is almost new (20,000 miles) and cost a lot and I will lose quite a bit on a trade SO I really wish to better myself.

Kistler
Old 12-08-2002, 09:02 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

I have generally found that the Grand Cherokee is one vehicle that tows much better than its specifications would suggest. A 107" wheelbase combined with live axles front and rear should not tow well at all yet they don't do to bad.

You always have to subtract the extra drag of a large vehicle from the extra horsepower it may produce. For example the Ford Expedition has a 5.4 Litre but only a 4 speed and with its extra bulk the Explorer will outperform it towing an Airstream.

I find the 4.7 to be a great engine, about the only way to get more performance is a 6.0 litre Escalade/Denali. The new Linclon Aviator should be very hot with the 32 valve 4.6 Litre. I have used this engine in the Continental and it flys. 5-60 in 22 seconds with a 34' connected.

What size tires do you have on the Jeep? Most of them came with 225/70Rx16" but I have seen some with 245's. If you have the larger ones switching to 225's will improve handling, mileage and power. Add a Hensley and you may not need another vehicle.

Andy
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote