Old 07-02-2017, 05:26 PM   #1

2016 30' Classic
Glenwood Springs , Colorado
Help with Blown converter.

While stopping at Sky Valley campground in Desert Hot Springs, CA, with temperatures running 100 or more, our AC abruptly shut down in the middle of the night. I know I should have checked the power pedestal. Everything seemed fine except our batteries would not charge when connected to shore power. I checked the converter and sure enough it was not charging the batteries. The converter is the Parallax 5300 50 amp power supply. So my question is what do I replace it with. Is the Parallax 5355R a new three stage converter replacement? I have talked to AM Solar and they are suggesting the Progressive Dynamics 4600. I like that idea. However from researching it on the internet it's not supposed to fit the 5300. I'm waiting for a call from Randy at Bestconverters.com. According to their web sight the Boondocker PM4B-60 would be a choice. This is on 2016 Classic. Anyway I would appreciate any thoughts that you folks would have.

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-02-2017, 06:34 PM   #2
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Sorry for your troubles. Not sure if it's appropriate to post here, but I have the Boondocker you want for sale in the classifieds...

Click here

Old 07-02-2017, 07:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Have you checked the circuit breakers? If the converter has no AC power it won't charge the battery.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:46 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

First I'd troubleshoot the existing controller. Second, I'd get a *good* surge suppressor / protector if you don't have one already. I would not replace anything until I knew what went wrong. I'd also check the other electrical stuff ... you may have other damage.

Bob
Old 07-03-2017, 03:05 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Englewood , Colorado
If you have the 5300, the replacement is the boondocker. PD, at this time, does not make a replacement. The 5300 is in all the 50amp newer units, like my 2017 27fb. Randy is great. Here is my VERY dry post about my install on airstream addicts on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...5486214051716/
Old 07-04-2017, 09:37 AM   #6

2016 30' Classic
Glenwood Springs , Colorado
Thank you!

I just wanted to thank everyone for there input. I have made up my mind and will replace the converter with the Boondocker. I troubleshot the Parallax with my multi tester using a flow chart that I found at the Parallax web sight. Everything works but I could tell that my batteries were only getting charged because of my solar panels. I contacted Jackson Center and they were going to provide me with the part number for the 3 stage charger they are putting in the 2018's. However I just decided to move forward with the Boondocker. A big shout out to Tom Henritze for your post on your install. If your are ever near Glenwood Springs let me buy you a beer.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:33 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstull12 View Post
While stopping at Sky Valley campground in Desert Hot Springs, CA, with temperatures running 100 or more, our AC abruptly shut down in the middle of the night. I know I should have checked the power pedestal. Everything seemed fine except our batteries would not charge when connected to shore power. I checked the converter and sure enough it was not charging the batteries. The converter is the Parallax 5300 50 amp power supply. So my question is what do I replace it with. Is the Parallax 5355R a new three stage converter replacement? I have talked to AM Solar and they are suggesting the Progressive Dynamics 4600. I like that idea. However from researching it on the internet it's not supposed to fit the 5300. I'm waiting for a call from Randy at Bestconverters.com. According to their web sight the Boondocker PM4B-60 would be a choice. This is on 2016 Classic. Anyway I would appreciate any thoughts that you folks would have.

Thanks in advance!
If I read their website correctly, PD has stopped supporting the 4600 series. Good news is they published the wiring diagram, but although you may still be able to buy them, you will have to seek custom support if you have a problem. i think they have moved on to the 9600 series. My PD 4645 replacement for the Parallax has been superb... I suspect that the more recent PD series is even better.