Old 02-09-2018, 10:26 PM   #29
Sam and her wheelman Zeke

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Northern , Illinois
Here's my two cents.
First- truck.
You can of course go with a fancy schmancy SUV and pretend it's rated for the tow. Or, throw your waste tank, gas tanks, generators and all those ugly items in the SUV one week
and have friends relatives or kids sitting in that same place later.
Kinda like eating food in a bathroom.
Then get a truck rated higher than you need.
Then, if possible, diesel. People who defend gas are people who purchased gas.

2015 RAM Laramie Eco-Diesel 4x4 crew cab w/RAM box
upnorththree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 03:57 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
In October 2012, I drove my 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI turbo diesel from Phoenix to CanAm in London, Ontario, Canada to have the hitch modification made so a weight distribution hitch could be used when towing. They also slightly bent the Hensley Arrow stinger to help preload the springs and drilled a new hole in it to bring the tongue weight closer to the rear of the car. I then drove to Los Angles tp pickup our new 2013 25FB International Serenity. It had street side and rear awnings added, a 155 watt solar panel on the roof, a Hensley Arrow hitch and full propane and fresh water tanks as I pulled away. I had no issues climbing out of Palm Springs up I-70 or cruising at 55 mph.

After loading the trailer with all of our stuff, we drove to the scales and the car was not happy with the load as the trailer scaled close to 7,000 pounds. There was my wife and me in the car and no generators or other camping gear in the car.

Drove back from Indiana in a new 2012 Ram 2500HD Cummins 4x4 and stopped in Iowa for a complete Kelderman level ride air bag suspension front and rear. Other substantial modifications have been done and this is the perfect tow vehicle for our 2014 31' Classic. We can take whatever we want in both the trailer and the cap covered rear bed of the truck along with a passenger or two. The retrofitted Titan 56 gallon fuel tank gives us over a 600 mile range when towing.

I can see 18 to 19 mpg running at interstate speeds not towing. I see 11.5 to 12 mpg towing. We limit ourselves to 65 mph max.

When I picked up the 2015 23D International Serenity in New Jersey, I drove the same Mercedes over and toward it back via CanAm to, get the hitch fine tuned by Andy Thompson, keeping the 55 mph max speeds. I had no issues and this seems to be the perfect match for this car. The trailer scales 6,069 pounds loaded for camping. The axle loads are within specs in the Mercedes with the one propane powered Honda 2000 generator, a grill, an air compressor and two chairs plus the me and my wife.

So there are options for tow vehicles, but the weights, axle ratings, payload of both vehicles all have to be considered before signing any purchase orders.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:03 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorththree View Post
Here's my two cents.
First- truck.
You can of course go with a fancy schmancy SUV and pretend it's rated for the tow. Or, throw your waste tank, gas tanks, generators and all those ugly items in the SUV one week
and have friends relatives or kids sitting in that same place later.
Kinda like eating food in a bathroom.
Then get a truck rated higher than you need.
Then, if possible, diesel. People who defend gas are people who purchased gas.
I own both gas and diesel powered trucks. In the HD trucks either power plant has enough power to pull a 27í airstream quite well.

My diesel suburban just got new head gaskets at 300,000 miles (upgrade to new head studs and improved gaskets, not due to failure) and there was still crosshatch visible in the cylinders. Runs like new. Will probably outlast a lot of the newer small diesels. My 2000 Silverado 5.3, sold with 325,000 miles, still running around West Michigan as of last week. I shudder to think of what I towed and how I overloaded that poor truck over the years.

My 6.2L gas F350 will pull my 27í anywhere it needs to go with no issues. The new Chevy 6.0 has well over 400 horsepower. If you canít pull an airstream with one of the new HD trucks itís probably operator error.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:08 PM   #32

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Northern , Illinois
The whole package.

While some of your points may be worth mentioning, a 1500 (half-ton) rides like a Cadillac sedan while larger trucks ride like a truck. Not my cup of tea while on vacation.

Since you don't need a hammer to drive a tack my suggestion to the OP was merely based on getting the biggest bang for the buck. Cadillac ride, truck strength, enough torque for more than just Midwest flat lands, and the economy of a hybrid.

Granted, weather conditions play a very significant role in MPG, but my very best MPG recording with the family and payload (NOT towing), I39 at interstate speed, 30 MPG. No three-quarter or larger will get the OP those numbers. I regularly get 15 and 16 towing the TT.

It's just the whole package and not cherry-picking one issue. We looked at every point we would want for our millions of miles we dream of trailing. So far our first season has seen roughly 17,000 towing miles. Yep. Since March of 2017 to today we have traveled over 17,000 with our TT. We've hit 4,000 miles this run since last Thanksgiving.

If the smaller diesel gets the job done, I'll opt for style, comfort, and economy any day of the week.

Fortunately I don't need more than a half-ton and my post to the OP was there is no need to throw their money away on something they don't need.

I am not exaggerating on anything I've said here. Believe it or not. You can have your own opinion but you can't have your own facts.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:24 PM   #33
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
People who defend gas are people who purchased gas.

This is also true of those who bought diesel.

Rocinante is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:30 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
I have and tow with a '14 Tundra. It's a very capable truck that balances well as a daily driver. BUT, if I were full timing I'd trade for a 3/4 ton at least. Which one? I'd lean towards RAM but I'm not really in the market so couldn't honestly say.
If toyota came out with a 3/4 ton tomorrow, I'd seriously consider it. As it stands, I'll drive mine into the dirt... I love Toyota's, have had 6. Had Ford's, a Chevy and a Ram.
Drive all manner of vehicles for work and still love Toyotas. They just care...
BTW, my truck was made less than 95 miles from my house.

Every so often take the trailer camping? Pretty much anything with a 6-cylinder and good TV weight.
Weekend Warrior? 1/2 ton, just watch your payload.
Fulltime? 3/4 to a 1 ton. Take it with you, you may want it.
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:50 PM   #35

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Northern , Illinois
The whole package.

While some of your points may be worth mentioning, a 1500 (half-ton) rides like a Cadillac sedan while larger trucks ride like a truck. Not my cup of tea while on vacation.

Since you don't need a hammer to drive a tack my suggestion to the OP was merely based on getting the biggest bang for the buck. Cadillac ride, truck strength, enough torque for more than just Midwest flat lands, and the economy of a hybrid.

Granted, weather conditions play a very significant role in MPG, but my very best MPG recording with the family and payload (NOT towing), I39 at interstate speed, 30 MPG. No three-quarter or larger will get the OP those numbers. I regularly get 15 and 16 towing the TT.

It's just the whole package and not cherry-picking one issue. We looked at every point we would want for our millions of miles we dream of trailing. So far our first season has seen roughly 17,000 towing miles. Yep. Since March of 2017 to today we have traveled over 17,000 with our TT. We've hit 4,000 miles this run since last Thanksgiving.

If the smaller diesel gets the job done, I'll opt for style, comfort, and economy any day of the week.

Fortunately I don't need more than a half-ton and my post to the OP was there is no need to throw their money away on something they don't need.

I am not exaggerating on anything I've said here. Believe it or not. You can have your own opinion but you can't have your own facts.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:17 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
[QUOTE=upnorththree;2065652]While some of your points may be worth mentioning, a 1500 (half-ton) rides like a Cadillac sedan while larger trucks ride like a truck. Not my cup of tea while on vacation.

I am not exaggerating on anything I've said here. Believe it or not. You can have your own opinion but you can't have your own facts.[/

Repost?
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:50 AM   #37
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Been there and done that. Save yourself a lot of thinking and go with a Ford F250 diesel. They are amazing trucks. You will not be lacking in any category. Ride, comfort, towing, payload all covered with this truck.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:39 AM   #38
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Ride wise, go check out some trucks. If you have not been in a "large" truck for a while, you will be surprised at the ride. There is still a point that they *do* ride like a truck. That used to be the 150 (1500) / 250 (2500) break point. With Ford it's moved up to the 350 / 450 transition. Given the way everybody follows each other in the truck business, I'd bet the other brands have bumped up as well.

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:56 AM   #39
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:

Please, share your facts, that being your numbers and traveling gear, scaled weights and what those numbers include, you know just the facts...
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:02 AM   #40
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
The OP posted this question 3.5 months ago and hasn't commented or posted since.

You guys are arguing amongst yourselves again...

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:31 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Naperville , Illinois
Quote:

With a payload over 750 lbs my 3500 HD rides smooth, close to the quality of my Sienna ride
1995 & 2004 Gary Fisher Hoo-Koo-e-Koo emergency vehicles
pt.reyesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:44 AM   #42
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
The OP posted this question 3.5 months ago and hasn't commented or posted since.

You guys are arguing amongst yourselves again...
Hi

.... and we're saying the same things over and over again

Bob

uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote