Old 10-30-2017, 01:11 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMiles View Post
A word for the "5/8th" ton pickup. The Nissan Titan XD will tow 12000 lbs and carry 1800 (diesel)

I wish my Titan XD Diesel had a 1800 LBS payload. The OP asked for straight talk. Here's the straight talk on payload as I see it. Do not believe the payload and towing capabilities as "advertised" on vehicles. Advertised payloads do not include the weight reductions for optional equipment. Look for a "payload" sticker on the actual vehicle you are going to buy.

My Titan XD Diesel 4x4's actual payload's sticker states only 1377 LBS including a "skinny" driver, not me! My actual empty truck with no driver or passengers weighed on a CAT scale can handle a total 1500# of payload. That 1500 LBS can just squeak by in my case and severely limits what I carry in my truck. The truck only carries me, wife, dog, generator, propane stove, propane grill, weight distribution hitch, a few sodas and crackers and my Flying Cloud 25's tongue weight. Anything more in the truck than listed above and I exceed the truck's payload rating.

Payload doesn't matter to some posters on this sight, but I choose to buy a vehicle that can stay under payload while towing my 25'. This is a heated topic on Air Forums that gets discussed weekly. Here we go again!

My 2x4 SV is 1804#. Didn't see the need four 4x4...

Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 02:18 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Albertville , Minnesota
Tundra 1794

Quicksilver6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 03:31 PM   #17
Obviously-NOT

2017 30' Classic
Kalispell , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnklJoe View Post
a Ram 3500 with Cummins diesel, and it's a night and day difference towing. The fuel mileage is a little better, and the acceleration when I need to pass or get out onto a freeway in traffic is just great. The exhaust brake and the truck brakes are more than adequate. I sometimes forget I'm towing a trailer (which ISN'T good--I know!), but it's really barely noticeable.

It takes some getting used to--driving a Diesel vehicle. The RPMs are very different, but the biggest thing (which I like) is the braking. I can also just set the cruise control and forget it--and the Megacab has a lot of room for the dogs. It came with Ramboxes (look them up!) and they are VERY convenient.
For these Airstreams, diesel is the way to go.

Hope this helps! The Tundra is a FINE vehicle, and if they had a diesel model I'd be first in line (probably!). But the Ram 3500 (or 2500) Megacab is just the right vehicle for us and our usage.

A good weight distribution hitch is really necessary
What he said, love the 3500 RAM and with the ProPride, easy-peasy.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:20 PM   #18
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
My Titan XD Diesel 4x4's actual payload's sticker states only 1377 LBS including a "skinny" driver, not me!
Just like on boats, the driver/passenger weight allowance in any motor vehicle is standardized at 150 pounds per person, for the purpose of determining how many seats— and how many seat belts— to install. But just because a vehicle has six seat belts does not mean it can carry six people! Two 225-pound people equals three "standard" passengers.

This driver/passenger weight allowance is hopelessly out of sync with the average weight of an American adult. Today's American adult male averages 195 pounds including clothes and normal pocket contents, and the average American adult female weighs 168 pounds, including normal clothing but not including a purse.

By the way, airlines assume each passenger weighs an average of 190 pounds in summer and 195 pounds in winter, and each checked bag weighs 30 pounds, for the purpose of weight and balance computations, as per FAA directives dating back to 2003. I have no idea why boat and motor vehicle manufacturers don't follow similar guidelines.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 05:04 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Miami , Florida
There’s a standard warning on this site when it comes to evaluating tow vehicle advice: people recommend what they are. So not to disappoint, I’ll recommend what we very happily tow our 27 foot airstream with: a 2015 Chevrolet Silverado withThe largest engine they made and the max towing package. To those who recommend larger tow vehicles, I would ask how they perform as daily drivers when they are not towing a trailer. My experience is that the 1500 series Silverado still operates as a good daily drivere while being excellent for towing a 27 foot airstream. I put a cap on top and custom built it so that it has my tools on one side, and I just love it. Good luck!
fotoman1527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 05:37 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
High Point , North Carolina
We bought a Flying Cloud 25, pull it with a Ford F150 3.5 eco-boost with tow pkg. and Blue ox sway pro WD hitch. Couldn't be happier. Been all over with it from the beach to 12,000 ft. Avg. 18.6 mpg & 13.4 mpg towing.
Join the fun!
Rfriebele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:19 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
A half ton F150 gas engine is fine for 28 and down Airstream's for any north American travel. However you said full timing. That means bringing the garage and more in the truck bed since storage is minimal in the Airstream. You'll want a F350 supercrew with the 8' bed.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:00 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
What kscherzi said. The 350 rides the same as the 250 with the only differences being 4” rear spring blocks vs 2” and an extra leaf that doesn’t come into play until the load needs it. The super crew with the long wheel base will give you the room you need, better ride and I prefer the diesel for the exhaust brake which makes it very relaxing coming down those long winding 6% grades. Oh, and 4X4 or you could get stuck on a wet grass slope. Good luck in your search!
Old 10-31-2017, 02:50 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Miami , Florida
Correction-sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoman1527 View Post
There’s a standard warning on this site when it comes to evaluating tow vehicle advice: people recommend what they own. So not to disappoint, I’ll recommend what we very happily tow our 27 foot airstream with: a 2015 Chevrolet Silverado withThe largest engine they made and the max towing package. To those who recommend larger tow vehicles, I would ask how they perform as daily drivers when they are not towing a trailer. My experience is that the 1500 series Silverado still operates as a good daily drivere while being excellent for towing a 27 foot airstream. I put a cap on top and custom built it so that it has my tools on one side, and I just love it. Good luck!
Corrected to reflect “own.”
fotoman1527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 04:38 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWRVR View Post
What kscherzi said. The 350 rides the same as the 250 with the only differences being 4” rear spring blocks vs 2” and an extra leaf that doesn’t come into play until the load needs it. The super crew with the long wheel base will give you the room you need, better ride and I prefer the diesel for the exhaust brake which makes it very relaxing coming down those long winding 6% grades. Oh, and 4X4 or you could get stuck on a wet grass slope. Good luck in your search!
And I'll add that with this setup, mostly the 8 ft bed, you can get the 48 gallon fuel tank, for diesel that gets you 600 miles between fill ups towing.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:32 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Apollo Beach , Florida
Quote:
A word for the "5/8th" ton pickup. The Nissan Titan XD will tow 12000 lbs and carry 1800 (diesel)

I wish my Titan XD Diesel had a 1800 LBS payload. The OP asked for straight talk. Here's the straight talk on payload as I see it. Do not believe the payload and towing capabilities as "advertised" on vehicles. Advertised payloads do not include the weight reductions for optional equipment. Look for a "payload" sticker on the actual vehicle you are going to buy.

My Titan XD Diesel 4x4's actual payload's sticker states only 1377 LBS including a "skinny" driver, not me! My actual empty truck with no driver or passengers weighed on a CAT scale can handle a total 1500# of payload. That 1500 LBS can just squeak by in my case and severely limits what I carry in my truck. The truck only carries me, wife, dog, generator, propane stove, propane grill, weight distribution hitch, a few sodas and crackers and my Flying Cloud 25's tongue weight. Anything more in the truck than listed above and I exceed the truck's payload rating.

Payload doesn't matter to some posters on this sight, but I choose to buy a vehicle that can stay under payload while towing my 25'. This is a heated topic on Air Forums that gets discussed weekly. Here we go again!
Don't take this post wrong. I love my Titan XD Diesel. It tows my FC25 like its not even there even at nearly max payload. I just "wish" it had 1800# of payload! Actually I wish it had over 2000# so I could carry my tools, my grandchildren and some toys.

The other takeaway from my comment is that actual payload on each truck, even within the same model, varies greatly due to added options. Notice someone says Nissan Titan XD has an 1800# payload and another owner says his is 1377#. Both are correct. Options can make a huge difference in payload on any truck - no matter the brand.

The OP stated full-timing with a 28' Airstream. If it were me, I'd be looking for a vehicle with a great amount of payload so I could carry all my tools and toys.
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:58 AM   #26
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Just like on boats, the driver/passenger weight allowance in any motor vehicle is standardized at 150 pounds per person, for the purpose of determining how many seats— and how many seat belts— to install. But just because a vehicle has six seat belts does not mean it can carry six people! Two 225-pound people equals three "standard" passengers.

This driver/passenger weight allowance is hopelessly out of sync with the average weight of an American adult. Today's American adult male averages 195 pounds including clothes and normal pocket contents, and the average American adult female weighs 168 pounds, including normal clothing but not including a purse.

By the way, airlines assume each passenger weighs an average of 190 pounds in summer and 195 pounds in winter, and each checked bag weighs 30 pounds, for the purpose of weight and balance computations, as per FAA directives dating back to 2003. I have no idea why boat and motor vehicle manufacturers don't follow similar guidelines.
Hi

To make things even more confusing (sorry about that ...). In some cases you see numbers with passengers X 150 lb already taken out (sometimes called "cargo", but not always). Other times you see numbers that are just the raw weight rating. Some people having seen the (rare) description with passengers already removed, *assume* that they can add passengers on top of a quoted number .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:15 AM   #27
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhounds View Post
So here it is; we have not bought anything yet but we have a plan. 2019, full time rvers, most likely 27’ range Airstream. Straight up question, we are thinking suv but open. Please give your advice and expert opinions: how big? Engine tow capacity, etc. plain talk. Thank you so much in advance.
Post #4

The rest assume a truck is the default choice. It's a bad assumption. There's next to no other experience (much less physics) behind it, either.

To travel, stow some clothes and food as nothing else is needed.

There are whole categories of vehicles better than a pickup. It should be the last choice due to its deficiencies both solo and towing.

The "best" TV (1967 or 2017) is still the one most carefully spec'd to solo use that can also tow the AS.

For that, return to Post #4. That crew has analyzed and made methodical what the rest of us who started fifty years ago learned with trial & error.

Cast your net widely.

To do that, be specific about how long you plan to be on the road, what junk you'll carry along, and other details pertaining to your particular situation.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:02 AM   #28
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Post #4

The rest assume a truck is the default choice. It's a bad assumption. There's next to no other experience (much less physics) behind it, either.

To travel, stow some clothes and food as nothing else is needed.

There are whole categories of vehicles better than a pickup. It should be the last choice due to its deficiencies both solo and towing.

The "best" TV (1967 or 2017) is still the one most carefully spec'd to solo use that can also tow the AS.

For that, return to Post #4. That crew has analyzed and made methodical what the rest of us who started fifty years ago learned with trial & error.

Cast your net widely.

To do that, be specific about how long you plan to be on the road, what junk you'll carry along, and other details pertaining to your particular situation.

Hi

Not quite *all* of the previous posts zoom in on trucks ....

Bob

uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote