Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2017, 05:34 PM   #1
Airhead Team Member

1978 23' Safari
North Padre Island , Texas
Help Please: Clear Coat Stripper

This topic probably has been covered. Just a newbie.

Is there an alternative effective stripper than the $200 (5-gallon) stripper that I've found on vintage trailer website?

Thank you!

North Padre Islander
TX
KeyWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 05:42 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
Aircraft stripper is very good and often used for your application. Google Aircraft Spruce as one source and check its pricing.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:26 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
Stanardsville , Virginia
I also found that aircraft stripper works fine and purchased it on Amazon.com.
madpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Citristrip work good for me.
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Citristrip worked fine for me. I chose it because it is environmentally friendly, and me friendly.
What I did:
One thick coat in small area, wait till the clear coat wrinkles. Recoat dry spots while waiting because it dries fast in low humidity. Scrape with plastic putty knife, then touch up with a second coat as needed, use a plastic scrub pad on hard spots, then wipe off with wet paper towels. Wipe down with mineral spirits. Done!
Old 04-13-2017, 07:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
I used aircraft stripper. Bought it at the local chain auto parts store. Followed by a spray from my pressure washer. (N.b. You probably don't want to use a real pressure washer for this, mine is a rinky-dink electric model.)

Careful, the stuff melts right through 8 mil nitrile gloves.

If I were doing it again, I'd try citristrip first. Available at your local hardware store, and far less nasty than aircraft stripper.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:43 AM   #7
Airhead Team Member

1978 23' Safari
North Padre Island , Texas
Thank you!

Thanks very much for the recommendations!

For a 26' Safari, about how much aircraft stripper?
KeyWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:03 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas

If your source is local, like the auto parts store, you could buy it a gallon at a time. It's far preferable to work small areas rather than to try to strip the whole trailer at once. I did a section four or five feet wide by the height of the trailer wall, let the stripper work, and then rinsed it off with a water hose with a good pressure nozzle, paying special attention to the riveted seams. Then, I went over the area with a car wash brush with water running through it.

Then, I went to the other side of the trailer where it was still dry and did another section. Water neutralizes the stripper, so you can't work where it's wet.

Cool weather and shade are good, because you don't want the stripper to dry out.

We did our trailer in August in North Texas, so early morning was the only time we had cool temps and shade to work. Two or three sections stripped each morning worked for the climate and season. This time of year you should have better conditions.

For goodness sake protect yourself. Long sleeves of thick fabric. Good, long gloves. Most important, excellent eye protection. Have water immediately available for when you do get some stripper on you. It stings like the devil on the skin, and I don't want to think what it could do to the eyes.

The improvement in the appearance of the trailer is worth the effort. Good luck.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:23 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyWest View Post
Thanks very much for the recommendations!

I started with a gallon for my 27 Overlander. Bought two more quarts before I was finished. Had some left over that I used to strip my screen frames.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:57 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Hutto , Texas
I used furniture stripper on my 1997 25' Safari. I bought it at a hardware store or Walmart. Can't remember. I do remember that I used 2 gallons. It's cheap and worked well.
Wanderer2604 is offline   Reply With Quote