Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community

Old 11-29-2014, 08:59 AM   #15
Rivet Master
2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
used Glastite tall fiberglass caps on my El Caminos and Ford Ranger pickups from 1976 to 1996. switched to Ford's soft tonneau cover for the 1997 Ford F150 Supercab, and never looked back.

been using Truxedo LoPro QT tonneau since 2005. am very happy with the product, and the manufacturer's warranty and customer service. TruXedo Lo Pro QT - #1 Selling Soft Roll-up Tonneau Cover

and, fwiw, we've also been very happy with our Bedrug bedliner. have used the same tonneau and bedliner on our 2005 + 2008 + 2011 trucks

Joseph & Gabrielle

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 09:07 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
I've used fiberglass caps on my last 5 trucks, for the past 15 years. The first was a wedge. The next were cab height. The one I have now is 4" above cab.

Up side - extra dry storage space & roof rack to carry the canoe
Down side - can't reach in over the sides into the bed

2014 Silverado 1500 5.3L maximum trailering package (yes, I'm towing the 34')
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 09:32 AM   #17
Rivet Master
2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
We have an Extang solid folding tonneau. I like the quality of the tonneau, the look of a truck/tonneau combination, and the unobstructed vision. The fibreglass capper may have a big advantage if you plan to carry a large generator. The Honda 3000 wouldn't fit under my tonneau (2014 Sierra).
Bob and Nancy
Cheer Up, Slow Down, Chill Out!
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 09:50 AM   #18
Rivet Master
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
I prefer canopies over a tonneau because we can get larger items (e.g. Bikes) in out of the weather, and keep things relatively secure. Because our new truck is a crew cab, the passenger side vision isn't as restricted as other cab designs. I do recommend a quality canopy, such as Leer or ARE, over cheaper brands. You won't have issues like leaking windows, and the dealers tend to still be in business if you do have an issue.

For the folks that have a problem bringing the tailgate down when connected, try rotating the head of the jack 90 degrees.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:25 AM   #19
Rivet Master
2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
I have had the same hard Al, 3 section folding tonneau for 2 trucks, now. It's heavy, but I could dance on top of it. (Well, that is if I could dance.)

I can go thru the automatic car wash, and it doesn't leak a drop.

Obviously, I like it. The only drawback is my next new truck will have to have a 6 1/2 foot bed.

In getting to this point I had caps and some soft tonneau covers, both the roll up ones and the 3 section, stretched over a frame versions. They all had problems, for me, anyhow.

The key is, what works best for you. You are the only one who can answer that question. Sometime trial and error is the only way to find out.
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:38 AM   #20
Rivet Puller
2004 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
I have the ARE cap, cabin height, which works extremely well. No leak issues and side open windows are available. The deciding factor for us was it's function as a kennel, too.
SeeMore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:42 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member
2014 27' Flying Cloud
Lexington , Oklahoma
Drathaar (Steve),

What a great idea! I'll check the clearance to see if that will work on my setup the next time I'm hooked up.

Stream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:01 AM   #22
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
Help me meake up my mind - tonneau cover or camper shell?

8' bed with a cab-height windowless LEER topper and factory plastic bedliner. Stack and slide tubs w/lids. Use cargo bars to keep place.

The bed is essentially a garage as to storage. The dirty stuff stays here. A pain to get to the front of the bed but that may be once annually.

The amount of cubic foot storage is impressive.

1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:08 AM   #23
Avion Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
I like the looks of a tonneau cover, but I prefer the utility of a shell. As with anything, you get what you pay for and would prefer a quality shell.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:40 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member
2016 30' International
Currently Looking...
Quartz Hill , California
Check out truckcoversusa.com. I have had them on my last two trucks. They are a rertactable cover made of extruded aluminun. You can walk on the cover if needed as it will hold 500 pounds. The cover locks every 12 inches if needed allowing you to carry taller items.
The downside is they are not 100% waterproof. The installed drains do channel off most of the leakage. Also, in snow country the track froze overnight. I couldn't retract the cover. The cover is powder coated thereby not needing much maintenance. My current cover is 6+ years old with no mechanical issues.
A little pricey.
Also look at tonneaucoversworld.com. Videos & alternatives.
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:42 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
2 years with my Bak Flip... Luv it! Had other trucks with shell... Restricted useable height but could haul more. But also lost Visibility aft.
Peace and Blessings..
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:48 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member
1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
Camper shell is my choice I carry my generator extra gas and drinking water and a storage box for all the other stuff that I can't store in AS, you can often find free truck caps if you look around.
Especially at used truck sales. I don't know about CA but here in Ontario Canada the dealers take them off the and sell tucks without them.
Bev1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 12:09 PM   #27
Happy Wonderer

1997 25' Safari
Box Elder , South Dakota
We had this decision to make also - shell/cap or cover for our truck, which? We are full timers so here is why we decided on a shell:

1) It allows a home-away-from-home should we wander away for a night or two from camp. Of course, we would have to unload all the stuff to use it for this.

2) We can install a rack on the shell should we want to carry gear on top - kayaks etc. later - which we think we will.

3) More storage space should we need it.

Our set up is 8 large totes with covers which stand up just below the level of the tailgate and in which we have our belongings organized. On top of these I have a 1/4" sheet of plywood cut to the length of bed. This allows us to carry things on top of totes and keeps them out of sight for security reasons too. Things just slide right in and out without effecting the totes and covers below.

We do not overload the bed although since we are full timers, we do keep 300 lbs + or - of gear there all the time. I installed a set of Super Springs to help with this load.

I hope this helps your decision.
“Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking...”
― Leo Tolstoy
B_Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 12:13 PM   #28
Rivet Master
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
Originally Posted by Stream'n View Post
Drathaar (Steve),

What a great idea! I'll check the clearance to see if that will work on my setup the next time I'm hooked up.

Wes, there are three Allen screws on the head of my jack. I'm not sure of the size. There's a thread on this somewhere in the forums.

For people trying to get things from the front of the bed when a canopy is on, try a telescoping boat hook. Works great, rides nicely on the window ledge.

Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote