Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-12-2005, 07:19 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Help! I'm in the Land of "No"

Hi everyone,
I have never posted to a forum--just looking usually, but have decided that I need help.

I am looking for an Argosy Minuet 6 metre. I don't want to buy a new tow vehicle and the Minute will fit the needs of just the two of us, plus my husband is a historian so the age will be an added value to him.

I have seen Airstreams and that is what I originally wanted but when I found the Minuet I fell in love. I was wondering if anyone knew of one for sale. I was thinking that if I found one at a good price that was a distance from us (south Miss.) perhaps I could have it transported--but I don't know how to go about that. We both work full time but have spring holidays in March (we both work at a community college) so perhaps if the trailer were in good enough shape we could go get it outselves. So many questions--all I know is that I really really want that trailer!

Any thoughts or help? All would be appreciated.

Jane
Miss Minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 07:31 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
WElcome to the Forums!!

Dig into the Forum archives using the "search" pulldowns....

Lots of info on "floors", "leaks", "rot", "tow capacity", etc.

Max loaded trailer weight of 80% of your Tow Vehicles (TV) rated maximum tow capability is a good starting point. Plan to purchase a Weight Equalizing Hitch also....usually a "must have" - these have been well discussed in the past.

One point that hits home repeatedly......buy the best unit you can afford - the cheaper ones will cost you MUCH more in the long run.

There are LOTS of units for sale - be patient - don't think you HAVE TO purchase the first one that comes along.

Luck

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 08:07 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Dennis,

Thanks for the quick reply. I have been reading the posts and (don't tell anyone) printing out most of the ones regarding restoration, problems, etc. I have access to electricians, plumbers, and carpenters from where I work. We have dorms here at the college so they have experience--not in RVs but in regular buildings. I am thinking that if I have good enough instructions we can fix just about anything. I think my problem is going to be locating a unit for sale and getting it here.

Once again, thanks. I am sure that if I can get my trailer I will have many many questions.

Jane
Old 01-12-2005, 09:21 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Jane!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Minn
Hi everyone,
I have never posted to a forum--just looking usually, but have decided that I need help.

I am looking for an Argosy Minuet 6 metre. I don't want to buy a new tow vehicle and the Minute will fit the needs of just the two of us, plus my husband is a historian so the age will be an added value to him.

I have seen Airstreams and that is what I originally wanted but when I found the Minuet I fell in love. I was wondering if anyone knew of one for sale. I was thinking that if I found one at a good price that was a distance from us (south Miss.) perhaps I could have it transported--but I don't know how to go about that. We both work full time but have spring holidays in March (we both work at a community college) so perhaps if the trailer were in good enough shape we could go get it outselves. So many questions--all I know is that I really really want that trailer!

Any thoughts or help? All would be appreciated.

Jane
The Minuets have developed quite a following over the past two or three years. These coaches, are compact, easy to tow, and offer a number of features not found elsewhere in the Argosy and Airstream lines. I did run across a Minuet on Fred Hinds' website that is listed for sale, see:

1978 Airstream Argosy Minuet 22 foot Travel Trailer

The following is a scan of the '79 Argosy Minuet brochure page:

The '77 and '78 Minuets shared very similar, if not identical, floorplans - - the primary differences were in upholstery colors available from year to year. Each of the Minuets had at the choice of the original purchaser either a front dinette or front lounge configuration.

The Minuet, as with most Airstream products, almost prohibits generalization. When looking at either the 6.0 Metre or 6.7 Metre, you may find that the coach has either plywood (subject to the normal concerns about rot) or the aluminum composite flooring (subject to sag as well as rivet seam placement that can present problems in selecting floor coverings - - other than the original carpeting). Most, but not all of the 6.0 Metre coaches have the aluminum composite flooring while some, but not all 6.7 Metre coaches have plywood flooring. During last seasons travel season, I visited with owners of a 6.0 Metre with plywood flooring from the factory and the owners of a 6.7 Metre with the aluminum composite flooring. At least at this point, I am not aware of any 7.3 Metre Minuets with the aluminum composite flooring.

Something else to be aware of when looking at Minuets is that there is very little real wood in the interior. All of the upper lockers as well as most of the lower lockers have plastic laminate tambours with the balance of the cabinetry being built utilizing vinyl-clad aluminum (including the cabinet doors that are not of the tambour variety). The only major cabinetry in my coach that wasn't the vinyl-clad aluminum was the credenza table that was a modern Formica laminate over particle board - - has since been replaced by a reproduction in solid oak.

Two years ago, I never would have believed that the Minuet would see more use than my Overlander. Today, the Minuet is the coach of choice for those quick, spur-of-the-moment trips where preparing the larger coach would be too much of a chore. One of the big pluses for me, is that the Minuet is 8" narrower than the standard series coaches which means that it is very minimally wider than either my Suburban of Cadillac tow vehicles.

Good luck with your search! The Minuets are truly fun coaches.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 09:32 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Colo Spgs , Colorado
Jane
We had the collector tow vehicle before we had the colloctor trailer. The search for the correct trailer was five years ( as the other told ya, " don't buy the first one you see".

There are owners who pull their vintage trailer with a 2000 and whatever cause they believe it is needed to get over the next hill and there are owners who pull their vintage trailer with a vintage vehicle ( the vintige tow vehicle with the vintage trailer is a eye catcher even if it is 0.5 seconds slower up the hill ). Either way, you are accepted.

Rodger & Gabby
Colo Spgs
Rodger with a D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 12:02 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for all the information. I like the fact that there is very little wood--not that I don't like the wood, my new house is wood--but in the trailer I like the fact that there is so much aluminum. I know none of these trailers are maintenance free but the less to break the better. Also, Just think that my hammered aluminum collection of bowls, cups, etc, will look really great in there.

Jane
Old 01-12-2005, 01:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
http://www.airstream.com/airstream/p.../weights-1.pdf

Thats Airstreams weight chart but unfortunatly it doesn't have the Argosy line on it. I would pick simular lenght and vintage model and you should come close tothe weight to expect. The Argosy would be a little lighter in most cases then the same size Classic.

I cant stress how dangerious it can be to have a undersized vehicle for towing. Not only is it a hazard exceeding the weight the drivetrain can handle may cause failure of transmission and the such. Make sure that you are within the manufactues tow rating plus some for safety sake. Most people recomend adding about $500-700 lb for personal gear and water in the tanks.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 02:10 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

The figures I am seeing for a 6 metre Minuet are 2,460 and hitch weight of--I can't remember but it throws it somewhere over 3,000. If you add people, stuff up to 4,500 and the tow rating on my van is 5500. Wouldn't that be okay or am I missing something here?

J
Old 01-12-2005, 02:28 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Jane!

Quote:
The figures I am seeing for a 6 metre Minuet are 2,460 and hitch weight of--I can't remember but it throws it somewhere over 3,000. If you add people, stuff up to 4,500 and the tow rating on my van is 5500. Wouldn't that be okay or am I missing something here?

J
With a 5,500 pound trailer tow rating, you should be in range with either the Minuet 6.0 Metre or the Minuet 6.7 - - with carfeul loading even the Minuet 7.3 MIGHT be workable. The factory figures (from both sales literature and owners' manuals is as follows:
  • 6.0 Metre Minuet
  • Empty Weight 2,450 Pounds GVWR 3,250 pounds
  • Empty Tongue Weight - - 395 pounds
  • Loaded Tongue Weight Approximately 575 pounds
  • 6.7 Metre Minuet
  • Empty Weight 2,725 pounds GVWR 3,550 pounds
  • Empty Tongue Weight 280 Pounds
  • Loaded Tongue Weight Approximate 675 pounds
  • 7.3 Metre Minuet
  • Empty Weight 3,820 pounds GVWR 4,750 pounds
  • Empty Tongue Weight 510 Pounds
  • Loaded Tongue Weight -- Approximate 700 pounds

Since the Minuets have very limited payload capacity, loading is critical to stay within the GVWR. My 6.0 Metre nearly always scales out at or very close to 3,100 pounds when fully loaded for an extended trip. I suspect that the minimal surplus capacity may be part of the reason that a large number of these coaches need new axles - - when I had a new Henschen axle installed on my Minuet, the axle was specified with greater than original capacity by about 500 pounds. Realistically, the GVWR is likely to be VERY close to the actual road ready travel weight for most Minuet models.

One thing to watch for if you consider a 1977 model is that there were two different Argosy models in the 20' length. The Argosy 20 was in the standard series and was 8" wider than the Minuet - - and of course, the Minuet 6.0 Metre. Other than badging, the existence of an aremrest on the front lounge is usually one indicator of the Argosy 20 - - most of the Minuets that I have seen did not have a streetside armrest while all of the Argosy 20 have had the feature (other than those with the front dinette floorplan).

You can check my photo album for scans of the factory sales literature for 1974, 1976, 1977, 1978, and 1979 for the empty weight and hitch weight of the other Argosy models. If you need GVWR figures, I have copies of the same year owners' manuals where I can access that data.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 01-12-2005, 02:56 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Kevin,
I hate to be dense, but how to I get to your photo album?

J
Old 01-12-2005, 03:09 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Jane!

Quote:
Kevin,
I hate to be dense, but how to I get to your photo album?

J
I forgot about the recent update to the Forums software - - in the previous edition, you could click on the individual's username above the avitar then click on "view user's photo album". This doesn't appear to be available in the current release. The link below should take you to my photo album:

Overlander64 Photo Album

The other method would be to click on the "photos" file folder tab at the top of the page - - then search for "Minuet" and my photos will be among the options returned - - I haven't had much luck searching the photo site baed on user id.

Hope this helps you to navigate to the deired location.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 01-12-2005, 03:31 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

The pics are great! Looks like you have spent a lot of time on these. One day I'll have some to post.

J
Old 05-25-2005, 07:21 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Red Oak , Texas
Any Luck?

Jane:

Any luck?

Sharon
SharonIvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 07:35 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
6 Metre Minuet listed at VAC..

There's a 1978 Argosy 6 Metre Minuet listed on Vintage Airstream Website classifieds in mid May. Claims to be in great shape, located in central/southern California... I think price was $7.5K...

Try looking at www.airstream.net and click on classifieds, and trailers from 1969 to present....

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote