Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-20-2003, 07:08 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Help!! I need an info dump on 78 25'

I found one about an hour away I'm going to go look at this afternoon. All that I can get out of the owner is that it is says 1978 Airstream on the title and has blue and red striping. I don't know if it is a pig in the poke or a diamond in the rough.

How much would a replacement furnace be? Owner claims to not have ever used it.

Are the water pumps belt driven?

I know the clear coat is peeling on top, but other than gravel dings underneath the exterior is supposed to be in good shape.

The asking is $6400, seems high but hard to tell much from a phone call.

Anything you could add would be appreciated!

Working in one aluminum tube while wishing for another.
FlynG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 07:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
flng,
figure roughly $100 a ft for anew clearcoat job, around 300-400 buckolas for a furnace...feel for soft spots in floor...mold or must...window locks...water pump is selfcontained....in your neck of the woods one might not have to worry about freezin' pipes but a water heater is another $300 it seems(the price) high to me, but sounds like he expects to be talked down....good luck to you sir!!!!!
norby
p.s. when i was a kid my daddy told me when ever he bought a used car he expected to have to stick $700-900 dollars into it....a/s seem to be just like cars......

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 08:03 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Hey FlynG:

1999 I bought a 1979 31 ft A/S.

I paid $10,000 (Canadian Dollars).

Furnace was a Grand.

Water heater was $350.00

New batteries were $200.00.

Frame repairs $1600.00.

How am I doing so far?

I wonder what make Airstream so much better than any other trailer.
Gordon Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 08:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
I have a 1978 Tradewinds...

It's got a dinette in the front and the double bed in the back. With the red and blue trim, it sounds like you're talking about the "International" trim.

With a trailer that old, "condition" is everything. You coud have two trailers sitting next to each other, same year and same model, and one is worth $10000 and the other isn't worth hauling to the dump.

I've only had mine about 3 months; I bought it up in Colorado. Mine had new tires and new OPD tanks (just painted steel, not aluminum).

Overall, I've been very happy with it - biggest thing I've had to fix was the power jack, as somehow one of the POs had bent the pole so it was down to about 8" of travel.

That, and there was a galvanized drain fitting the in the fresh water tank that screwed up the threads, so I had to seal it with Top Secret Magic Stuff.

The skin is a little rougher than I'd like, especially in front, but there's no leaks and it should polish up decent.

I also paid way, way less than $6400, but that may have been just the Lord blessing me. On the other hand, I had to tow it home 900 miles, too...

PM me if you have any questions about it.

BTW everybody, I've got a good motor head off the power jack for sale....

Don
drboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 05:12 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Unhappy We came, we saw, we passed...

It was in fair shape overall. A good cleaning and minor refurbishment might make a nice TT. The worst thing about it is it is owned by someone who didn't maintain it, who bought it from someone who didn't maintain it. I kept thinking of the huge can of worms that would open up if you actually made it to the first tire store and got it home.
The 120V systems did appear to work fine though. No major dents, a couple of small punctures CS. Tree limbs I think. Quite a few scrapes and scratches, most would buff out. A little too much work for me, but one of you may be interested. Check out the Little Rock classifieds for this weekend.

Old 09-20-2003, 08:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Search the internet for your replacement furnace. Look on the unit cover and you will probably find it is a Suburban NT-30SP, NT-24SP or something similiar. I've seen then priced on ebay new from $450 to $550 and they LIST in one of my catalogs for $681.95 and $661.95 respectfully. I had my NT-30 rebuilt last year with new motor, circuit board and it cost me $367, ouch!

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 07:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
FlynG, sometimes it's actually more valuable to see one and pass than it is to just see a good one right off. $6400 for that trailer as you described is certainly no bargain, and now you have something to compare against when you do find the Right One.

Which you will!

Don
drboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 11:47 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Yes it is. I'm in no hurry so the right one will turn up in due time.