Old 07-16-2009, 06:18 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ithaca , New York
vlamica, I'm curious what you're noticing that makes you to think that this trailer hasn't gone through the "whole process". Taylor Healthy Homes sells trailers at every stage of the renovation process, from just-gutted, to just clean walls/floor, to the full custom built-in jobs. I would want to be certain that the trailer had been completely gutted before rehabing - no old adhesive on the walls, no old subflooring, etc.

The Healthy Homes company consults and offers detailed guidance to people wishing to rehab using their knowledge and methods. The seller made it clear that this trailer was done under Healthy Home's direction, and is not their product. They would need to charge twice or three times as much if it was to recoup their costs - Taylor Healthy Homes trailers are expensive.

Aage - Why don't you think that it is habitable? Maybe we are considering things differently... Sure, it doesn't look like other airstreams on the interior, but I'd have to pay a lot more for that level of custom rehab out of special nontoxic materials. I personally can do without a build-in dining area, entertainment center, fold-out couch, etc. If there are problems with the functionality of what is there (moisture management, weight distribution, etc) then that would be a concern to me.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:21 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
Hello

I have been following, and have a few questions to ask... Does the Airstream tow? I think I read it was towed, belly came loose refastend then all is well? If I got that right, then, if all else checks out, and you want it, buy, take the notorized title to the local license bureau, get a temp tag... This gets done before you transfer the title, then Tow it home on the temp tag. You should have 30 days of ins on new purchases. After you get home, you will have to schedule it for an out of state title transferr at the BMV or State Post. No biggy. Even car dealers do it for $15.00. They check for serial numbers to match on the title and unit. The you take that slip and notorized title to the title agency, and they give you a correct state title (New York) (DOnt give them to much info, those ladies at the counter are funny) My opinion is trucking it will cost alot, because unless you got a dock to load it, and one at the other end to unload it, you will need a low boy or carry all, not just a flat bed.

Good Luck

mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:27 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
also adding... Healthy homes , and your issue alot of people dont understand. I do. I also realize it is a hard place to be when your imune sytem goes haywire. Working, living enviroments take on a hole new meening. I recently was exposed to something which caused my system to go haywire, 2 years of testing, and finally a good imunologist, and I see light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck to you

If the place you buy it from is acredited, and check the BBB to make sure. Then you should be OK. You can even get reffrences I am sure.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:36 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
The axle sure looks like it's shot. (Top of rim is under the wheel well). And with the ceramic tile floor, if you decide to get it, definitely it's got to be flat bedded.

When I looked at the interior, I saw a lot of heavy wood - 2 x 6's under the cabinets. I understand your needs are unique, but this doesn't look like meticulous work, professional or amateur. Looks more like the treehouse or a fort my brother and I built when we were kids.

It's no 19' trailer either. It is bigger than that - I'm thinking 22' to 23' - because it's a single axle I doubt that it's a 25'.

Paula
Old 07-16-2009, 07:32 PM   #19
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope_Fox View Post
Aage - Why don't you think that it is habitable? Maybe we are considering things differently... Sure, it doesn't look like other airstreams on the interior, but I'd have to pay a lot more for that level of custom rehab out of special nontoxic materials. I personally can do without a build-in dining area, entertainment center, fold-out couch, etc. If there are problems with the functionality of what is there (moisture management, weight distribution, etc) then that would be a concern to me.
Well, I say not ready for habitation purely because it lacks the items people use on a daily basis: sleep, eat, being two I can think of that you should have, right?

Secondly: do you actually have proof that his unit was done to the specs you require? I gather you aren't buying it from Tad Taylor, and so what assurance do you have that the reqired work was done to standard?

Surely Tad Taylor would be able to comment on any involvement he may have had with this TT. From his website, I gether he doens't do hundreds of these.

Anyway, it's a free world and all that, but you did ask for advice, so that's what I have for you. Good luck!
Old 07-16-2009, 09:15 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ithaca , New York
Mustang,

Thanks for kind words.
From what everyone has said about the tile floor, we are leaning towards getting it trucked for us. I got one quote from a vehicle shipping company that would use a low boy, $1400 to transport it... ouch!
Old 07-16-2009, 09:37 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

amherst , Massachusetts
Funny, I am going to visit this Airstream, at least i think it is the same one, tomorrow at Lake Wyola in Shutesbury, MA. But me thinks tis too small plus you are right, it isnt completely outfitted by Taylor Designs. Thing is, we found a nice 31' but it is expensive and in Texas! Retrofitting is costly and time consuming, but it is what folks like us with Environmental Illness or MCS have to invest in for safe mobile housing. And it s alot cheaper than building a stationary green home! Taylor's trailers pirce from 40 - 60 g's! And the one we found is a 1975 for $38,000. We desperately need someone to scout it out for us in Dallas cus we are in New England. Can anyone help? And input on how to negotiate the price down will help too. Thanks!
Old 07-16-2009, 09:41 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ithaca , New York
Mary River,

It is indeed the same trailer! I just found out that I'm 4th in line for this one, there are lots of us folks needing healthier homes. Best of luck with your search.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:49 PM   #23
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
1959 24' Tradewind
Santa Rosa , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Hope Fox.

Dont be offended by us... afterall you asked us? If you go back to the first post and read the comments that describe the travel condition of this trailer and then read the following paragraph from his website it would seem like we are talking about two different trailers.

ENVIRONMENTALLY CORRECT TRAILERS!!!!
For 15 years we have created the ultimate in healthy and environmentally correct travel trailers. While also rebuilding many trailers to their original historical state, we have taken "tired" trailers and strips them down to the bare bones. Starting with a quality frame and shell, we design and rebuild these beauties into leading edge living and traveling environments. Using non-toxic materials to create exciting interiors that may include solar power, energy efficient shells, increased electrical power systems, and updated systems and appliances"

Now after reading that it would seem that we are talking about two different trailers.

Originally i suggested that you get an inspector to check it out. If you are thinking about making a huge investment into this trailer you owe it to yourself to take that step. If you look around on this site you will see some masters at the craft of restoration. I have learned so much through their pictures and writings as well as everyone else. We just dont want you to romanticize (spelling?) the concept of this specially equipped trailer only to find out later its got home tile and appliances strewn about.

Vin

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 04:07 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

amherst , Massachusetts
Hi Hope,

Take heart!

Please let me know if you received my private message about the trailer. I wrote it after seeing the trailer yesterday. We scouted it out as a comparison (and to report back to you) as we are considering a bigger rig designed by Tad Taylor.

We recently met Tad's son, Justin, who is continuing the business at his home and shop in Vermont. It was an enlightening visit, and even though it was initially discouraging to get on his wait list, we made a nice connection, learned some things and will hire him on our search as we need a mobile hoem soon!

I recommend you consider a trip to Vermont as he is most helpful--and just a state away from you. For $50 an hour, he will inspect any trailer you are considering buying. The one you are interested in in Shutesbury, MA is just an hour or so from his home. (And his home is on a lovely simmable river).

We plan to hire Justin soon to check out a rig we are looking it. Volunteer inspectors here are great, I would assume, but for folks like us with MCS, someone professional and chemically aware like Justin Taylor seems to us the way to go. After all, his Dad died of MCS related illness after devoting his life to creating safe housing for people. Justin was obviously well trained by his Dad.

Let me know if you did not receive my report from our visit to the trailer. I think you'd have first dibs at it at this point! Suffice it to say, for your purposes, it could do the trick, but it needs some tlc and some attention to the casings around the windows, it was nice and dry and did not appear moldy, but there was an electric mold control machine on (which is understandably needed being by the lake and all, but it makes one wonder if it is covering up a mold problem).

I recommend you check out Linny's trailer that is posted in "Our toxic times". It is only 5 grand and appears to be in better condition. It is in Maine, so you are fortunate to have these rigs within day trips from you, I believe! I have pics of her rig and her contact info, so let me know.

Best,

mary

PS I am brand new here and am a newbie to rv living. My husband and I both have MCS, just sold our house and are on the cusp of becoming full-timers! If anyone knows of RV's/trailers that are 'green" and at least 28', please let me know! Thanks