Old 07-31-2002, 09:24 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
Question Help decide ?

Have not owned an Airstream since the 70s. Am about to purchase a 25-27ft.Would like some pros and cons between Classic and Safari.?? Trying not to buy one and later wish had bought the other..They sure have changed a lot...Will be towing with Navigator 5.4 373 rear with 17 inch tires...WE (me and the madam and two miniture long haired Dachs.) are more of the traveling type rather than the staying type....Would appreicate any pros or cons on subject...PLEASE Thanks....SAM

SAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 09:54 AM   #2
1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Portola Hills , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
It's a size thing...

Hi Sam,
I tow a 25ft Tradewind of 1971 Vintage. When we stay at a place for more than a few days, then the size is great. If I was to use it as a rolling hotel room, with more travelling involved, then I wish I had bought a smaller trailer. Like a 20ft or smaller unit. Your Navigator surely has enough power to pull a 25 to 27ft trailer, but you should check the tow rating of this vehicle before buying. Keep in mind that the Navigator has a relatively short wheelbase, so make sure to get a good hitch setup with sway control.It makes a BIG difference on a long trip. There are many posts on this forum with tips and facts on this subject. I wish you and your family the best of luck! Airstreams are a blast to own and use.

uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 10:40 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member
Sam, I bought a 25 foot Safari and absolutely love it, BUT, I sometimes wish I had a 27 footer when I am confined to the trailer for two stormy days. Two additional feet can make a big difference. HOWEVER, I can get my 25 footer in places where others can't. I once pulled into a campground late in the afternoon and found a beautiful space under a tree. I asked the neighbors if it was available and they replied "yep, youre probably the only one who can fit in there". As for the choice between Classic and Safari- if you can afford the Classic by all means get it. By the time I finish upgrading my Safari to what I consider 'Airstream Quality' I probably could have paid for the Classic.
I am sure you will enjoy whatever Airstream you choose- they are by far the best.
Jerry Sullivan
'01 Limited
'01 Safari
On The Road, USA
gwsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 09:58 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member
1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
Safari vs. Classic

Here is a link to a previous discussion on the same topic check it out.

83Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 07:12 AM   #5

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
If you have any Safari questions, stop by in the 2001 Safari forum. I've posted some additional Safari information there. We can probably answer most of your questions regarding the newer Safari line.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote

« M20? | Top | This forum »