Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-20-2015, 05:22 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Sheb Falls , Wisconsin
Help! '77 sovereign possible purchase

Hello forum!

Looking for someone knowledgeable that I could email a few pictures/questions too regarding a '77 sovereign. I tried to post the pics and questions on to the forum but can not seem to find the postings.

Would love some feedback and help!

Thanks much!
Lisa
Nosborasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:36 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Sheb Falls , Wisconsin
https://flic.kr/p/yQmfMs

Link brings you to the picture on Flicker...pictures are beneficial :-)
Old 09-20-2015, 08:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
I only see the one picture with damage and somecutebaby pictures.
That's some good damage, what your question?
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:53 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Sheb Falls , Wisconsin
That's the damage that has us questioning if we should purchase the unit or not? With that ding, would one consider it a lost cause? An easy fix? Should we be concerned if that (what looks to be) lower belly pan (?) could the frame be damaged?
The trailer is roughly 3+ hours away so trying to gain understanding right now through pictures on the condition. This picture was the biggest concern for us.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
So many more questions, ie: what is the asking price? What does the rest of it look like? What is your intended use?

Simple answer to your question, though, is that you are looking at damage to a segment that can only be completely repaired with replacement, which will run about $1000 or more. My opinion about vintage trailers is that most of them are due for a shell-off renovation. At a glance, I would guess that this is one.

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 12:38 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
Not!
4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 06:47 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Sheb Falls , Wisconsin
Belegedhel- asking price is $4000 obo. Intended use; ideally minimal work this winter due to lack of time, camp next summer in it with how the outside looks to get a feel for future changes the following winter. The owners used it up until this past spring which the older gentleman went to a home and the family is now selling it.
The rest doesn't look bad (?) I added more pictures, (sorry about my little guy pics in the mix thought I had the privacy settings right for those).

I figured mattresses on the beds would need to be replaced due to age, that I could do myself this winter. Some major cleaning etc. I can do that even a bit of paint...and simple repairs, a shell off though eeek! Would need hubby on that type of project!

So looking at the added pics, could we survive a camping season with out the major repair?
Thx
Old 09-21-2015, 07:30 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I looked at your link again, but didn't see any more pictures. Anyway, as I look at the one picture again, and see it on a larger screen, I see that there is a lot more going on here than the dented segment. The frame rail that attaches to the rear bumper also seems to be hanging down. Possibly the frame is bent from the same accident that dented the segment, or it could be the frame is rusting away under a rotting rear floor, and you have an advanced case of the dreaded "rear end separation" that is common to this body style. The lower part of the awning arm is also mangled, and I would hazard a guess that the place in the shell where it mounts is torn up.

At any rate, if you are looking for a trailer that needs only fairly superficial sprucing up, this isn't the one.

If you do go looking at trailers, take the "buyers inspection checklist" from the portal page with you. This list will walk you through pretty much everything.

You will really need to manage your expectations during this process. If you are looking at trailer in the $2-$5000 range, then you are probably going to find a lot of trailers that have not had much renovation work done to them in the last 40 years. Earlier I said most vintage trailers are due for a shell-off. This is because in 40 years of neglect, the seals dry out, leaks develop, the floor rots around the perimeter, and the frame secretly rusts away. Sure, there are trailers that have spent their lives in a barn or in an extremely dry climate, that will look pristine. This is why I say "most" and not "all."

The trailers that have already had the frame repaired, and the floors replaced, and the other spruce-ups will cost in the $10,000+ range, but if someone has already done the heavy lifting, and done it correctly, you will be way ahead.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:41 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
The big monsters are rotted plywood floor and rusted steel frame members. Those are what drive owners to the "shell off" restoration process. So, poke around the edges of the floor, and get the best look at the frame you possibly can.

Then look at appliances and systems. Does the fresh water system hold pressure, or does it leak everywhere? Do the fridge, stove, air conditioner, toilet, etc. really work? Demand proof, not just promises on this. Do your homework on the cost to replace each of these items, and be prepared to deduct that amount from your best offer if something is inoperative.

Dents in the aluminum shell shown in your picture are cosmetic. What does the frame look like behind that bent bumper?
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign