Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2005, 02:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Help!

This trailer is making me realize how little I know.I was at a campground in Olema Ca.& the only hook up was a 110 outlet.Well I just bought the (Autoformer) & was ready to try it out.They said they could sell me an adapter to plug it in.I requested a 30amp when I made my reservations,they said it would be no problem to run my air on 20amp.Well I asked if they would put it in writing that they would be responsible for my elec.NO!So I left with a polite rain-check in hand no 30amp avail.Did I do the right thing or was Over reacting????
Huges Autoformer said I would only pull 20amp max but I could use an adapter.What about my Air?
cynthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 03:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
With only the air conditioner running it probably would have worked.

If not, it would have either popped the breaker or melted the adapter (and possibly the Autoformer plug) or both. I doubt the Autoformer's innards would have suffered.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 06:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

The AC and a TV and a light. Put the frige and water heater on propane and you should be OK. When parked in our drive we do it when we need an extra place to put guests up when they come for a visit.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 09:23 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
We just got a replacement fridge for our Safari and it is the first time we've used an electric fridge (it's a 2 way). My husband hasn't put in a fuse for the ignitor of the gas side, so the last time we were out, we used the electric side.

At home the electric worked great, freezing in about 6 hours on a hot desert summer day (95º +)on the medium setting. I precooled it the day before and loaded it with freezer packs and cold water and sodas before we left. 7 hours later when we reached the rv park, we turned it on, and added some food. The fridge simply didn't work. Temps were around 45º to 50º on the highest setting and of course, the freezer didn't work.

We went from 3000 ft and 95º, to 7000ft and 80º. All I can figure is that the park was old, probably with 30+ year old electric hookups, and they were trying to feed the energy needs of 35+ ft behemoths, with amenities never dreamed of in the past.

Air conditioning wasn't necessary (ours is broke), and it didn't sound like many people were using theirs, but still, some of those big rigs have residential size appliances. Am I wrong in thinking that they were a drain on the system?

My husband is leaning toward the altitude.
mtpalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 12:51 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

did it work when you got back home? i say altitude also....?????
desi arnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 05:35 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpalms
...The fridge simply didn't work ... All I can figure is that the park was old...and they were trying to feed the energy needs of 35+ ft behemoths ... My husband is leaning toward the altitude.
The refrigeration system in an RV refrigerator is a closed loop system with respect to pressure, so altitude will not affect it. Altitude could affect how well the pilot light burns, but you said you were running it on electricity.

When an RV refrigerator runs on electricity, the power is used to operate a heating element. Heating elements are typically not too concerned about poor power quality. My first thought, without hearing what the voltage was at your site, is that the heating element has gone kaput. Please post if fridge resumes normal operation at another site.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 12:37 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California

I plugged it in last night, and it wasn't cool this morning. You know what the first instruction is when troubleshooting? Here it comes:

I took the outside panel off, and sure enough, the plug had worked itself halfway out of the outlet, so I plugged it back in, and 3 hours later the unit is definitely cooling down. (I could have sworn I asked my husband to check that at the park...), the outlet is as old as the trailer, so I expect it just doesn't hold the plug securely. Not to say 100% that was the problem at the rv park, my pride is sticking to that .005% chance that it is someone else's fault.

I feel silly, but this is the best kind of 'fix'! I wish the AC were that easy to take care of.
mtpalms is offline   Reply With Quote