Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-28-2004, 08:27 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Greetings Tom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW

I don't know. It is webpage, and although it may load slow if you are on dial-up, I was hoping your patience would be rewarded. Any one else having problems seeing it?

Here is a link to the picture file itself. Please let me know if that works.

Tom
It was fantastic to have the opportunity to meet you after our communications via the forums! The photos are fantastic and capture some wonderful memories of our excursion. It doesn't seem possible that so much transpired over a period of approximately 72-hours. This journey afforded us the opportunity to meet some wonderful people including Tom, the former owner's family, as well as many people at restaurants, motels, and fuel stops along the road.

The one thing that photos couldn't capture were some of the expressions that we saw on the faces of passing motorists - - I am sure that some were wondering how the coach was damaged, but I am sure a few were shocked to see a passenger car towing a larger tandem axle Airstream. One couple in a large Brand X motorhome towing a Suburban (somewhere in Tennessee) had a particularly perplexed look on their faces as they passed us.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 05:47 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
It's home!!!

Well, after around 1600 miles round trip and a fantastic couple of guys to work with, Shell Shock is home!!

Kevin did a very good job of giving you the low down on the trip. I have to say that towing a vintage coach for the first time 800 miles was a really cool thing.

A few thoughts on the trip..
I was really worried about making it back. Kevin can attest to me ranting about that. Seeing some of the grades I would have to climb to get home had me thinking that I would have to buy bus tickets to get home.

Kevin is a great navigator and driving companion. He knows the route we took like the back of his hand. He was able to give a lot of background on the areas that we were going through and what was coming up.

Tom Williams.... Man, you are a one man Indy pit crew!!!
Tom found the trailer for me. THANK YOU!! He took a day out of his holiday and came all the way out to Jonesboro to help out. He even brought his own tools. A true pleasure to meet him. A big thank you to his wife too, for letting him out to play for the day. I have never seen four tires changed out so fast in my life.

The 1993 Chevrolet Caprice Classic with a 5.0 is a beast. The car rose up to the challenge and did the job. I had power to spare on most of the trip. I had issues keeping to 65 through Illinois. The Chevy kept creeping to 70?!?!!? I could tell when a semi was starting to pass when the wheel would pull to the left, but I got used to that.

It is looking like I will splice the rear off of the Wreck on to Shell Shock. So I will have to do some updating to my profile and other things. We will keep the Overlander as our trailer and use the Ambassador for parts. All of those I have talked to about parts off the Overlander, I will be in touch with you and should be able to get you what you need anyway, save one winder.

I have uploaded the few photos I took, to my album, under Shell Shock.

Thank you to all that have helped!!!!!.

Oh and I love trailer brakes!!!!
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 08:38 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64
I could carry my Dell laptop along, but am afraid that it wouldn't do us much good either. I don't have either a wireless or cell modem, and my cell phone is now eleven and one-half years old (purchased it in July of 1993 after my first one was destroyed in the flood of 1993) so it probably wouldn't support a cell modem if I had one.

Kevin
Actually if its a Motorola bag phone it will. I think I have a RJ11 that would fit it

Man you really need to catch up. I can watch TV on my 6620 Nokia.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 08:48 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Glad to see that coach went to a good home.

My Job had me big time covered up. I had been talking to Robert about that coach a couple months ago. My job was done away with an I had to switch jobs to a sales position. 50+ hour weeks and close shift so I wasn't getting home till after 10 most nights. Thats why I haven't been on here much lately. Actually on Vacation this week.

Anyway I was going to drop Robert a call and see if he still had it this week and go look at it. Real shame what Ivan did to the coach. She sure was a pretty one.

So whats the plan on it?
Old 12-30-2004, 01:21 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Make it whole again. I posted some thoughts in the "What to do with a smushed Overlander" After just putting the old Overlander wheels on the Ambassador, I just about beat the Ambassador to death with a tire iron due to the hassle it was to jam the tires up into the wheel wells!!! I am thinking less and less about keeping the Ambassador alive, she is just too far gone for me. SOm others might be able to salvage her, but I'm at my wits end. I just want to camp!!! I can see a realistic end to the Overlander project, the Ambassador (If I get a clear title) may be a few more years just to get on the road.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
Old 12-30-2004, 02:15 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Excellent to hear your going to put it back together. I was going to strip the appliance for our 59. Sell off the remaining good parts to get it to a shell. Cut off the rear and fabricate double doors and make a shed or cargo trailer out of it.
There is another 67 that has a rotten floor that should be coming up for sale very soon down here. relatively straight skin but the last 4-6 feet of floor is rotten.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:35 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
You have to be kidding me, I was how close to you and I didn't even think to ask you over to watch the pit crew races!!!
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
Old 12-30-2004, 08:16 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by till
You have to be kidding me, I was how close to you and I didn't even think to ask you over to watch the pit crew races!!!
Lets put it this way. If you came down I-75 you were within 3 miles of me. I live off the Chastain exit in Marietta/Kennesaw area. I work off the Main Street Exit in Cartersville. LOL
Old 12-31-2004, 09:40 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
I just added up the cost of the trailer. Tires, hitch, gas.....

A $900.00 trailer picked up and parked in my drive way (title and plated) $2700.00.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...