Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2017, 08:40 AM   #41
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Also Ill need to hunker down someplace by 6/28 in order to escape the upcoming holiday crowds. I figure if I find a good spot to boondock on by 6/28, I can stay in it for 7 days and will have gotten by the rush.
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:41 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinMan View Post
So if ya had a choice... Black canyon of the Gunnison or Durango & Pagosa Springs? I'm leaning toward the np.

Thank you.
My choice would be to see Durango if only you took the train to Silverton and back. It's expensive, takes an entire day, but worth every penny, you'll never forget it.
Black canyon is cool, but it's no Grand Canyon. BTW, do you have the senior free pass?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:02 PM   #43
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Well I decided to take your advice again Mollysdad dad cause it's worked out so far. I figured if I wasn't gonna backtrack to Montrose, I should try to take a whole new route since I did Ouray to Silverton and back already. I chose to take the very long route to creede through Delores, then Durango. I am in Delores right now and gosh am I glad I took that drive! It was beautiful, although just as curvy and narrow as 550 in some spots. I loved it. I was fascinated with the town of Rico. What happened to that place it looks like they could be a tourist destination like Ouray or telluride but every single buildin is for sale, even the real nice ones.

When I arrived I happened on a very nice camp spot on a farm property where they have built 5 dry campsites on the river. It is a little slice o heaven.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:20 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the continuing commentary. I grabbed your map from Post #19 so I could keep track. Delores is at the bottom left of this map. After Durango are you going to take 160 to South Fork, then head NW to Creede?

What is the name of the campground you found in Delores? Sounds nice! Some of the best finds are things that one comes upon randomly . . .

Thanks,

Peter

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:48 PM   #45
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
It is called Along The River RV-Park, owned by Gordon and Jeanna Kuhlman. It is 3 miles east of Delores on Hwy 145 on a farm with a big sign that says RV Parking. It's less than a mile away from a big, crowded campground but it's nice and quiet other than some road noise. I have a deck over the river and the fishin is private for guests.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170622_185658-01.jpeg
Views:	177
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	288004

Yes Im gonna continue up through pagosa springs and South fork on 160 to Creede, making a big loop back to hwy 50 near gunnison. I ended up skippin cedaredge. Maybe next time! I will do Crested Butte after creede everyone is sayin great things about it.

I appreciate all y'alls feedback it has been very helpful.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:45 PM   #46
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Thank you. Got that one down for a future visit. It is a nice run up 145 along the Delores. The area was recommended as a possible fly fishing opportunity. We tried a section further on where the river runs on the west side of the highway. Nephew hooked a small one on his first cast. But that was the only hit for the three of us, so maybe just good fortune as opposed to good water. And there will be absolutely no comment on skill offered. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 06:30 AM   #47
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
Crested Butte is a nice tourist town and worth the trip, but not a lot of places to put the AS. We stay in Gunnison and day-trip it. My last time to go from highway 50 to Creede, the road from Slumgullion Pass to the Rio Grande valley was pretty rough, especially near the top. That was a couple of years ago, so maybe it has been improved. We enjoy Bristol Head USFS Campground, but there are lots of nice boondocking spots near there as well.

The Black Canyon is awesome. It's not The Grand Canyon, but it isn't supposed to be. I think it is certainly worth seeing, especially if you enjoy geology.

Richard
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:10 AM   #48
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Thank you, Richard. I don't believe I'm going to make it to Black Canyon this time but that may change! However, since I'm down south now I may visit Mess Verde as it looks like it is on my route.

I am generally not a fan of large cities or tourist traps but these small mountain tourist towns have been easy to deal with and enjoyable. I usually will park the trailer on the outskirts and take a nice, long walk through town with my coffee and lunch that I made in the trailer. I will often find a bench and eat my lunch while watching the people as if they are wildlife. Works for me.

I will take a look at your suggestions.

Also, can anyone tell me how the 4th of July holiday will work this year, as it is on a Tuesday? Will people be taking the weekend before off or the weekend after? I am trying to find the best way to avoid the crowds.

Thank you.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:08 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Both weekends are likely to be crowded IMO, so your goal of finding a good spot to hunker down by 6/28 (which you mentioned someplace recently I think) sounds like a good one. The first weekend will be the more crowded one IMO, with Monday 7/3 being in effect a holiday for most folks.

We have a popular state park on the ocean nearby, with a certain number of sites held open for a daily waiting list which opens up at 8 AM. On Wednesday 7/5 I plan to get in line early that morning, hoping for a couple of nights of camping.

Good luck!

Peter
Old 06-24-2017, 06:05 AM   #50
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
A little mornin coffee for y'all.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170623_133855.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	288069   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170623_133909.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	288070  

Name:	20170623_133829.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	288071  
Old 06-24-2017, 06:42 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Take a detour South while in Missouri to Ozark Scenic National Riverways, I worked there for a summer years ago and it is a wonderful place. In the park at Big Springs, one of the loops now has electricity and there are several RV parks outside of the Big Springs area. https://www.nps.gov/ozar/index.htm
If you have dropped down to Route 60 in MO, then check out the original Bass Pro Shops in Springfield, MO

When heading East on 50 in CO, check out Comanche National Grasslands
They have some nice trails, petroglyphs and even dinosaur tracks.
http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/rockymtn/coman.htm

After that check out Bent's Old Fort - https://www.nps.gov/beol/index.htm
and then John Martin Reservoir State Park, CO for some camping.
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 06:50 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks, likin' the Silver Bean!

Looks like you have left the mountains and are heading east? Or still in Dolores? This photo looks like a different AS IMO:

https://the-journal.com/articles/26278

Cortez?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/reznicek111/891332550

http://www.fourcornersgeotourism.com...1AEC1BE2322E2E

Thanks for the continuing story!

Peter

Old 06-24-2017, 08:46 AM   #53
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Thank you, Doc Foster, that is excellent advice and I am startin to think about planning the next states. I will be sure to.lool at your auggestions. Thank you.

Peter, yes, that is the one in Cortez and the coffee was quite good. I have seen Airstream coffee carts before but never one that had an inside ordering and seating area.

I am still staying on the Kuhlman's farm in Dolores, which I have been havin a hard time leavin! I may stay one more night since I don't like to find new spots on Saturdays and it's so nice here. It ain't for everyone since it's dry campin with no services and the mosquitoes are active on the river but I find it to be just perfect.

Cortez is only about 15 minutes away so I have been exploring the whole area from here. There is a farmers market there today.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:27 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
So do you have WIFI at the campsite? [joke ] Any cell service?

Your photo of the site was great! [Post #45]

Glad it is working out.

Happy Trails!
Old 06-25-2017, 02:57 PM   #55
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Well I have finally left the Kuhlman's farm, reluctantly, but I had to get on my way eventually. I enjoyed Dolores and Cortez, they are very eccentric towns.

I was headed to Durango but of course bein the curious person that I am I had to turn on the forest road I spotted right outside of town. And then of course I had to explore the little spur a few miles down... Well it ended in a nice little clearin with a fire ring, nice views and 4 bars of Verizon so I guess I'm not makin it very far today.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170625_141702.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	288180  
Old 06-25-2017, 02:59 PM   #56
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
So do you have WIFI at the campsite? [joke ] Any cell service?

Your photo of the site was great! [Post #45]

Glad it is working out.

Happy Trails!
I am sorry Peter, I had replied to this but it apparently did not go through. I did have 2 bars of slow 3g but if ya had a booster you'd be set cause there was 4g a few blocks down the road. It's a very rustic site but the Kuhlman's are very kind and warm hearted folks. She offered to let me fill.my water tank at their farmouse across the street and I saw them letting my neighbor ride the tractor, he looked like he was havin a blast.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:23 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks. Curious as to how you knew that going down that forest road before Durango was going to work out, and not be a pain-in-the-neck dead-end situation. Are you in some kind of designated wilderness/camping area or park of some kind, and thus had some guidance ahead of time?

What a great isolated location, and with a fire ring to boot!

Are you in the San Juan National Forest by any chance? Here is an overview map:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...rdb5196804.pdf
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/r2/re...telprdb5387853

Thanks,

Peter
Old 06-25-2017, 06:38 PM   #58
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Well I use Google satellite a lot. You can usually see big rigs or trailers on Google maps so that'll give ya an idea. Also, I get out and walk a whole lot. A real whole lot. I'll walk a mile or two down a road if I need to before I drive it. But the satellite image is very helpful.

Also, the condition of the road and signage will give me an idea of if I should keep going or not usually. Sometimes it gets a little hairy but I've been off roading forest mountain and desert roads all my life so I have a bit of a sense for these things. Not for everyone.

But this particular area is very easy to navigate, I have counted 3 other airstreams along the roads. It is San Juan National forest about 5 or 6 miles east of Mancos. It's another slice o heaven.

Thank you for that map, I will take a look at it.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:42 PM   #59
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
TM - did you try Mesa Verde or give it a pass? Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 06:43 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Cool, thanks. So was that 316 northbound you turned off on (or 124 further east perhaps?)? The SJNF borders 160 on the north here.

Wow the detail on the Google satellite view is incredible, especially on my new Retina display.