Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2003, 11:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Thumbs up Hello, I recently discovered this forum

Hello All !!! I am very soon going to purchase an A/S to travel around a bit (I retire from the military in a year, currently in western Washington state) I've been hunting for my trailer for about half a year, taking some time to look at as many models as possible. I've been reading just about everything I can find about AS to prepare for the inevitable when it comes to buying anything used (possibly very old, since the older models really catch my eye) Just wanted to say thanks for all the information I've gleaned from this website, and, oh yeah, HOWDY !!!!!

Dave (infinite Lux)
infinite LUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 11:47 PM   #2
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Welcome aboard, but beware, this forum is addictive & time consuming

Hart
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 04:34 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

We got another one!!!

WELCOME!!!

Don
Old 07-30-2003, 05:09 AM   #4
Lost My Rivets

2013 30' Classic
New Braunfels , Texas
Dave,

Welcome! I also just recently purchased an Airstream and have found this forum invaluable. If you have a question there are so many knowledgeble Airstreamers here that are more than ready to impart their wisdom. I have a long to-do-list for my Airstream and am waiting for my first box-load of supplies from Inland RV to get started.

Good luck (I still have four years to go, before I can retire from the military)

John
jdleezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 06:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Let me also extend a welcome to you!

I think you are looking in the right direction. After we purchased our first A/S we've been hooked. We are currently on our third one now and find the quality of the A/S to be a very high quality trailer.

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 08:22 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Hello, I recently discovered this forum

Greetings Dave!

Welcome to the Forums!

Airstreamforums.com is one of my three favorite sources of information on Airstreaming. The two others are:

Yahoo Airstream Discussion List - - Hunter Hampton, Moderator

Vintage Airstream Club Discussion List

Among these three sources you can find a tremendous wealth of information regarding the Vintage Airstream units. One of the reasons that I mention the three sources is that there are some very knowledgeable individuals who are only active in one of the venues. You will also find that there are a number of individuals who participate in all three venues.

The Vintage Airstream Club also has a very interesting quarterly publication called The Vintage Advantage that you can subscribe to as a friend (not a member of WBCCI <Wally Byam Caravan Club International> and not necessarily and owner of an Airstream product).

Vintage Airstream Club - - Vintage Advantage

Again welcome to the world of Airstreaming and the Forums.

Good luck with your search!

Kevin

P.S.: This hobby can get quite addictive - - (after eight years) my garage is brim full with four tow vehicles (two of which are listed in my signature - three of which are Vintage); and my side yard is home to the Airstream and Argosy. The Argosy and Suburban will be accompanying me to the Rocky Mountain VAC Rally in LaVeta, CO next week.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 02:14 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

HEY !!!! guess What!!! I did it !!! :)

YEP, today's the day. I bought my AIRSTREAM ! it's a 1994/30ft Excella. YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I know I said I really like the older models, and I drove down to Olympia WA this morning to look at a.... ....well, an Airstream that's best days were a couple thousand miles aft of the rear bumper. This afternoon, I called all the RV dealerships (about a once a month event for the last 6 months) and went to look at one here in Tacoma. And now, brother and sister airstreamers (can BASA be an acronym? like SOB and SBO?) I have been assimilated (resistance was futile). I'll definitely continue to check out and participate in this site (even more now than before, if that's possible) Thanks to you all

Dave (infinite LUX)
Old 07-30-2003, 02:29 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Dave - hope you have MANY happy miles traveling with your new trailer.

Happy trails

Old 07-30-2003, 02:42 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Congrats Dave! And Welcome!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by infinite LUX
[ I have been assimilated (resistance was futile).

Hey, Eric! Another Trekkie!!!

What's with you guys and Airstreams???
63flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 02:54 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Tell us More.....

Dave,

Welcome to the 'addiction' of A/S !

Since you had looked at 'quite a few', what would you say made you bite for this '94 30' Excella?

ie - did you particularly what/need the 30'?
How was the clearcoat?
Do you have any projects in mind yet?

Post them on this forum and share with those who have already done it ! !

We look forward to your posts. ( As well as all the rest of you lurkers. )

Steve in Savannah
Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 03:05 PM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Re: Congrats Dave! And Welcome!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 63flyingcloud
Quote:
Originally posted by infinite LUX
[ I have been assimilated (resistance was futile).

Hey, Eric! Another Trekkie!!!

What's with you guys and Airstreams???
Not sure, but it's a hell of a ride!

Congrats Dave!

"Your life as it has been, it over......."
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 03:21 PM   #12
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Thumbs up Congrats and welcome!

Hi Dave!

Congrats on your '94. If yours is like mine, the '94 is one of the nicer Airstreams for fit and finish. The QC in mine is excellent, and I hope yours will be as well.

Now that you've been assimilated into the collective, we'll expect regular updates so we can all know what you know! Looking forward to your posts!

Live long and prosper...

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 03:37 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Well Steve, here's the deal....

once I retire, (having seen pretty much the entire planet, I fly on military cargo aircraft BTW) I want to see MY country (and maybe a little of Canada too ) I have 2 passions in life. I am an avid large format black and white photographer (using a 8X10 camera for the last dozen years or so) and the Airstream seemed to me (for the last several years) to be the perfect "means to the end" I want to travel the US and photograph. I've been doing this for many years in my vehicles, and in the picture I posted you can see my 99 Ford E250 van that propelled me across this continent. My first "project" will be to figure out how I'm going to alter the interior to convert it "temporarily" into a darkroom to develop film and print. My second passion is flyfishing (both fresh and saltwater) so I'll need to construct a "fly-tying" area. Beyond that. I'm not really sure yet. I like the blue linen curtains, but the carpet has got to go (carpet is sky blue). The top indeed appears to suffer from oxidation, so I guess I'll need to take care of that FIRST !!!

anyhoo....

(I'm already thinking about doing a black and white project involving "classic" airstreams)

Dave (infinite LUX)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8x10 and me.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	2465  
Old 07-31-2003, 08:20 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Cool name for a camera guy!

I didn't get it at first until you mentioned cameras.... lux for measure of light from one candle.

Seems that we may have like interiors. My carpet is med sky blue. I have bought three area rugs to lay in places.

Several have put in wood or cork floors. Search for 'cork'. That seems to be a very good surface. (Very diff from wall cork board!)

Also I have the blue curtains. They had bad condensation water stains when I got the trailer. It did come out and they look like new! !

I'm sure your initial thought is to use the shower stall for the 'temp' darkroom. I once made a darkroom when I was a teen about a zillion years ago. That may be the safest place for the fluids and perhaps easiest to darken completely.

You need to take care of the loss of clearcoat on top of TT. Many posts on that subject. If after you clean it well with car wash and soft brush, you find peeling; that is best recovered with spray clearcoat available from A/S dealers only. Read up on diff sites first before starting.

Walburnize the whole TT ! !

Best to you in your black & white adventure shots.

Steve
Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote