Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2004, 06:24 PM   #101
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Welcome from another Missourian!
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 07:48 PM   #102

I am interested in purchasing a motorhome but I do not know where to start. Can you suggest someway to learn about motorhomes so that I can minimize my beginner mistakes?
ciwood49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 09:51 AM   #103

Red face So.Fla.Newbie

I've been lurking for awhile, I'll admit it! I have an Airstream Ambassador International LandYacht in my backyard and have been dreaming of doing something with it, but I don't think it is to be. It needs TLC and a good home. I don't know much about all of this. The plate says I283T211 Jackson Center, Ohio. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Sunnyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 06:09 PM   #104
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
59 members, and and 238 guests currently online.

Sign up now if you live in north AL - I would like to find more active Airstreamers around here!

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 06:10 PM   #105
1 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
New Iberia La. , Louisiana
Wink Knew owners

Hi my name is Sarah and my husband is Howard,we are knew to Airstream and just brought ours about four months ago.
We found ours in North Ga,so we are some of those crazy people that drove all the way their from south La.We was very luckey to have found one in great shape {1999 Excella 30' }
We hope to start camping soon,Rita came and set our plans back abit buy all is fine and so is our airstream. Glade to br a member.
Sarah
Sarah Bourque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 05:29 AM   #106
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciwood49
I am interested in purchasing a motor home but I do not know where to start. Can you suggest someway to learn about motor homes so that I can minimize my beginner mistakes?
"

Where to start> First off there is a rather good check list in the motor home section of what to look for when you find that perfect motor home and what to buy it. Second I would start off on Fred's Motor Home page and familiarize yourself with all the different types, lengths and floor plans that Airstream has available. Next is to read the many posts that are available here. Find out what you are in for. I always tell owners to be that the initial cost of a classic motor home is only your down payment. Attend a rally if it is close by, check out the rally calendar and see if you can find one that will work for you. I have never met an owner of a classic motor home who is not willing to show it off and talk your arm and leg off in the process. If you are interested in a newer model try the RV shows where you can compare the SOBs (square old boxes) withe the Airstreams, that is a real eye opener.
You have made the best start by finding this forum. Search it out there is so much great info here. If you need help navigating it just ask. I have put the link for Fred's page below. Good luck and keep in touch.
http://www.airstreammotorhomes.com/
Old 02-26-2006, 01:45 PM   #107
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
C'mon In!!!

ASForums had a record 824 viewers an hour ago, most of them "guests."

Questions are welcome in a nonhostile atmosphere. Just don't camp at my favorite 'Mum Lake' and 'Mystery Falls!'

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 12:29 PM   #108
FT RVing

1976 31' Sovereign
Always searching for a place w/low Humidity , FT RVing, N & S, E & W, & in between
lebo

Hello all, I'm a "newbe". I am so impressed with this website....hardly know where to start looking. I am looking for my first Airstream Trailer and something to pull it with.....both used, of course. I'm retired, male, single, over 50.. and in good health. I need and education about both the Airstream trailer and the towing vehicle. Looking for suggestions on books, articles, buying guides, etc., anything that will get me up to a level of knowledge where my first purchase will not be a disaster!! Oh, up to $10,000 for the trailer and $5000 for the tow vehicle. Thank you for your time. Bill
lebolewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 12:33 PM   #109
FT RVing

1976 31' Sovereign
Always searching for a place w/low Humidity , FT RVing, N & S, E & W, & in between
Hey Tom, I live in Cullman. See my "newbe" post. Bill
lebolewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 11:23 AM   #110

1974 27' Overlander
NY , New York
hello all I am new to airstreams. I bid on and one one in georgia. but the expence of moving has stumped me. It is a 27 ft overlander.1974 in pritty good contition and I think I got it for a good price but I do not have a vehicle to move it and the cost of flying down there renting a truck and driving it 850 miles is just too costly. what do you think. I would like to find one closer to NYC and look at it in person first. where is the best place to go to do thins that you jet
jetstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 05:54 PM   #111
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Welcome aboard Bill..

Bill-

This site is truly awesome, and has more advice at better prices than many folks can handle.. Worth every penny paid, unless you've actually paid already...

My view on true beginners is to start as you are planning to, with "previously owned" trailer and tow vehicle. Smaller investment, lower risk of disasters, less depreciation, and easier to get out after getting in if necessary, or trade up..

That said, DO NOT buy something sight unseen, especially on E-Bay as newbie, unless you have really good friends to check out the vehicle.. Fraud and misrepresentation abound.. Buying a Dog can cost $ Thousands in fixup and rehab costs before it's useful, and may never be recoverable.

Second theory I'd offer is start at small end of size range you'd tolerate.. Smaller trailers easier to tow, fix, decorate, park and clean. There's a reason so many used large trailers are so reasonably priced... My standard is 20' to 25', but your needs may vary... That will get you into state and national parks, and not require monster truck to tow it.. Same theory with tow vehicle. Happily today gas prices are forcing SUV and truck owners to bail out, and good quality Suburbans are out there for $5K from late 1990's with Vortec V-8's and towing packages. Pickup trucks or other long-ish wheelbase towing vehicles are cheap these days.

Third theory of mine is to look used, but not really antique. Back to about 1980's, or even late '70's, the systems and appliances and other interior and exterior items are either still in production or readily available and repairable. The oldest units have potential issues with frames, axles, brakes, etc which many members here find lovable , but can be daunting for newbies. A lovable 1985 trailer can be purchased and "upgraded" for 1/4 the cost of a new equivalent from Airstream or less. If you decide it's not for you, you can usually get back what you paid for it...

Good luck!

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 07:19 AM   #112
1 Rivet Member

Bellevue , Michigan
Hello Friends!

I am not new to Airstreams. I lived in a small one in the Mountains while my boyfriend worked in the woods, road building. This was 1973. I fell in love with the little silver pod and have been dreaming of owning one ever since. I'm still trying to figure out what model it was, I know it was 60's something...
NOW, in my early 50's, I decided I can't live without one any longer! I've been scanning backyards and have even stopped at a couple to hear..."Nope, sorry...not for sale". Or, "If I had a penny for everyone who stopped and asked about my Airstream"....! I've looked at some for sale at a dealer, no luck there. I search on EBAY every day, but only for education, I would be afraid to buy something that big online, sight unseen.

I have $12,000 to spend, already have a 1995 Ford pick-up. My husband is a wizard at fixing things and loves to do it too! I'm prepared to wait as long as it takes to find the perfect one for us. "US" being, my husband, myself and 2 dogs. ~I have been reading this forum for awhile now and thought I would pop in and say "HI".

If you had $12,000 to spend on an Airstream, which one would you buy?

Thank you for being here, and all the great knowledge I've obtained so far.

Jude
Dharmabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 07:23 AM   #113
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Good luck in your search.Don't forget to keep checking the classified section of this forum.
Also,if you see something online somewhere there may be a forum member in the area who could check it out for you.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 09:36 AM   #114
1 Rivet Member

Bellevue , Michigan
Thank you Mike.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:11 PM   #115
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Small, but not TOO small...

Jude-

Welcome to the Forums...

I can highly recommend classifieds here, as well as www.airstream.net and www.rvtraderonline.com for web-based searching....

Surprised nobody answered your question directly yet ("What would you buy for $12,000?").. Thought I would take a try...

Unless your '95 Ford is a monster truck (3/4 ton HD Diesel etc..) you're probably limited to trailers of 25' or less behind a Ford F150.. Really older ones are either pretty rotten ("As Found" condition according to vintageairstream.com ...) or elegantly restored, and if you can find a restored model that could work. In 1995 all Airstreams got wider and heavier, and since it is just you two, you might not need the extra weight and width...

I'd look for classical Excella 25 from 1986 through 1992, with rear bedroom. Some have queen bed on side, others have twin beds. Choose wisely, as they're hard to modify. Prices will run from $11K up, depending on condition.. You might also find a 22' version, which also offers double axles. Bathrooms varied between side bath with separate shower and rear bath with "wet shower" where entire bath area gets wet when shower running...

There's an '89 25' Excella on classifieds here or asking price of $12.5K... Others include earlier Safari's or Trade Winds in range from 23' to 24'...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Old 09-09-2006, 04:31 PM   #116
1 Rivet Member

Bellevue , Michigan
Thanks so much John. I'm embarrassed to say, I just found my new member post today...I thought for sure it was somewhere it wasn't!

Anyways, I appreciated your suggestions and knowledge. I always thought I would end up with a classic airstream, with those 13 corn-rows in the front and curved wood inside. But as I do research daily, especially here at this great site, I've started to appreciate the newer ones more!

I know what I like so far:
~Twin beds
~Separate shower, I don't like towelling down the bathroom after showers!
~Front Dinette... not just a couch, but either a wrap-around or two separate seats with table in middle ( folds into bed )

Would like to stay 24' or 22'. No bigger, no smaller.

I'm learning so much here! Thank you everyone, this is one cool place to hang out!

Jude
Old 09-11-2006, 07:02 PM   #117
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Front Dinette adds to degree of difficulty...

Jude-

Glad to see all is well.. Your list of wants is good, and you shoudl remain clear about the objective whenver you see another really cute trailer that isn't even close...

For a variety of reasons, Airstream really preferred putting a folding couch and tilt-up table in the front of their trailers, rather than dinettes that convert to beds.. My wife is with you wishing ours had such a setup, but that is not in the classic 25' floorplan, and is one reason the new FB25's and FB27's are selling so well...

Not sure how handy or willing to hire contractors you are, but a number of members here have converted front couch layouts to dinettes, by building one from plywood and table parts and cushions.. While it might be tough to match Uwe's custom woodworking skills, if you found one that met other criteria, you might try for bids to construct a dinette in front.. It might not be too expensive. There is the power converter/charger under the couch to potentially relocate, but the concept is do-able.. Try searching for dinette and conversion or convert...

John McG

Old 02-23-2007, 04:53 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello Guest!

There are 431 'guests' viewing the Forums on a Friday evening. I find that quite impressive. Some of you are members. I hope you sign in often. Some guests are browsing about an interesting and sometimes puzzling future with Airstreams. We are very glad to help you out and the membership aims to be open, welcoming & friendly. Come back often and please register to ask how to get started.

It sure has given me way too much to do with my time ... ... but good!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 07:44 PM   #119
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
604 guests just before I post.... We know you've got Aluminitus. There is no cure... join us and accept treatment. It really is painless. We promise. You can quit if you don't get the answers to the questions you need to ask.... come on, what do you have to loose?
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote