Old 04-02-2004, 11:37 AM   #71
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Good morning!

Yes it is amazing. We wouldn't be living here if we hadn't purchased a house when we did; I was born and raised here, I'm rooted. I would hate to leave. If we sold and ever wanted to come back and buy again, forget it. Sure, we'd have a small fortune, but I'd miss my family and the area so much.

That's what we want to do, travel travel travel...but we don't want an airstream that's *super* big; after all, it's just me, my husband and our daughter.

OK I give up; what does SOB mean anyway?? Still On...uh...something? I'm terrible at these things!

Old 04-02-2004, 12:49 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Welcome Ingrid!

It is nice to have another Bay Area forum member! There doens't seem to be too many of us. I wish you luck in finding that perfect unit. Many mebers will voluteer to check out a unit for you if you find one far away. Just ask. Good luck!

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 01:13 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
OK I give up; what does SOB mean anyway?? Still On...uh...something? I'm terrible at these things!
Some
Other
Brand

...at least in this circle!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 01:14 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Hi there back!

Hi there!

I was wondering how to get in touch with other Bay Area Airstreamers; I guess this was a good start. Thanks for writing. I'm in Alameda. I should do what you did, put the tow vehicle info on my signature, so I can remember what the heck it is...I know there are some other things about what we bought when we got the truck that made it tow more or something. I don't know about these things!

i
Old 04-02-2004, 01:16 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Oh I never would have gotten it. hehe that's good.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:18 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Airstreamhopeful, fair warning! You may rename yourselves Airstreamprideful, sooner than you think! We joined the Forum about a year ago, asking questions because we had long-time yearnings for an Airstream. At that time, we thought we would like an 80's era motorhome. Now, (we are still slightly shocked that we did it!) our new-to-us 1995 Classic Limited Airstream comes home tomorrow. She's not a motorhome after all, but she found us! Start looking, keep reading and asking questions, and enjoy all the information and comraderie of the Forum.
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 10:42 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Oh man, how are you ever going to get to sleep tonight? How exciting! I've looked around for pictures of that model but haven't found one yet. Enjoy your day tomorrow, take pictures!

We're deciding on what length to get, my husband is big at over 300 lbs with the build of a football player, so we're arguing over size. I'd be happy with 17' but he's trying to talk me into 25 to 31. Hopefully we'll agree on something in the middle, along the lines of maybe 21' to 23'.
Old 04-03-2004, 08:10 AM   #78
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Hello Guest!!

Greetings Airstreamhopeful!

Quote:
We're deciding on what length to get, my husband is big at over 300 lbs with the build of a football player, so we're arguing over size. I'd be happy with 17' but he's trying to talk me into 25 to 31. Hopefully we'll agree on something in the middle, along the lines of maybe 21' to 23'.
Depending upon the Vintage of the coach that you are seeking, you can find a number of floorplans that provide wonderful accommodations. As a large person myself, I have found the older coaches with the rear bathrooms to be most comfortable as they are far less likely to have claustraphobic showers or miniscule "water-closets". When I was shopping for my first Airstream, I passed on several newer side bath coaches as I simply could not tolerate the confinement of the bahtrooms - - when I found my '64 Overalnder with its large rear bath and comfortable center-twin beds there was no question that it would be my coach. The Overlander has been an ideal coach, and I have taken it on trips from weekenders to an eight week tour of the western US not to mention living in the coach for four months while searching for a house when I moved four years ago. My 20' Minuet 6.0 Metre has also been a wonderfully comfortable small coach - - easy to tow at a gross weight of only 3,100 pounds.

In more recent vintages, there are a few side bath floorplans that have very nice arrangements with plenty of room. It seems, however, in the more recent coaches it takes 29' or more to get a bathroom that would provide a level of comfort for long-term use for a larger person. I generally travel for about eight weeks each summer and detest campground bathrooms so a comfortable bath in my coach is a number one priority in my coach selection.

Good luck in your search for the ideal coach!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 08:42 AM   #79
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Happy hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamhopeful
Oh man, how are you ever going to get to sleep tonight? How exciting! I've looked around for pictures of that model but haven't found one yet. Enjoy your day tomorrow, take pictures!

Hopeful... getting to sleep is easy the first night you have an Airstream... you sleep IN IT!!!

Don't skimp on the size of the trailer. If hubby's big, give him enough room to be comfortable. It'll make all the difference in the world whether or not you enjoy your travels. I'm 6'5" tall, and trust me when I tell you that if a bed isn't comfortable or I have to 'squeeze' in somewhere, I get cranky pretty quickly.

Kevin's assessment of the facilities are right on. We have the 34' tri-axle with the open bath between the kitchen and bedroom, and it's the ONLY way to go for slightly-oversized folks. You can see photos of it in my album.

Good luck in your hunt. Look at every Airstream that comes up for sale, even if it's not one you think you're particularly interested in. You'll soon know what to expect for year/condition and what materials and layouts were used in what years. Eventually, you'll find THE coach that has the combination of interior features, layout, condition, and price that says "Take me home". And if you've done your homework, you'll know it's "The One" and be prepared to scoop it without 'buyers remorse' later.

If you're looking at coaches you have to finance, contact your financing source now and find out how much you can afford, and get a loan pre-approved. When you find the coach you want, it'll merely be a matter of writing the check for the deposit/down payment, and then supplying the VIN, etc. to the finance folks to get your check.

I advocate moving quickly on the coach of your choice when you find it, as REALLY nice ones that are reasonably prices don't last long. As Airstreams continue to grow in popularity, the competition among buyers is driving the prices up on some coaches, and they're not depreciating as much on the newer ones.

Good luck in your hunt.

Roger
Old 04-03-2004, 09:26 AM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
If you have a tow vehicle that can handle the weight, do not be afraid of a 31 footer. You probably can't tell the difference between a 23 and a 31 going down the road. It is really nice to have the extra room inside, especially if you are a couple with pets and/or children. If you are planning on state parks, though, some will not handle or have restrictions on anything over 25', but many are updating to handle the larger rigs, that rich Airstreamers are able to afford.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 03:14 PM   #81
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
...and where can I look at floorplans on the web??? Does that exist?

Thanks again. This is fun!

i
Old 04-03-2004, 03:27 PM   #82
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
oops. this was supposed to go before the previous post. I edited it and deleted this part.

Here again:

Thanks for all that. Kevin, I looked at photos of the '64 Overlander and I see what you mean. Good point. I'm glad I brought it up, When I used to camp or backpack it was tents or a pack, so light and small was the way to go. I forget that I'm not a big guy and I do need to take his needs into consideration. Last thing I want is a cranky husband on vacation. It can't be fun to have to squeeze into everything. We're headed to a rally near us soon and we'll look at floorplans, sizes and lengths, and come to an agreement on the range of sizes then. When we bought a hot tub, we had to get one that had wide molded seats so the edges wouldn't dig into his shoulder blades. Looking in person works for us. Keep the advice coming.

Roger, where can I see your photo album?
Old 04-03-2004, 03:58 PM   #83
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamhopeful
Roger, where can I see your photo album?
Go to Airstreamphotos.com and search on 85mh325. You'll find 'em there somewhere...

Roger
Old 04-03-2004, 04:41 PM   #84
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Check out http://www.vintageairstream.com/archives/index.html

They have photos of many years up into the 70's

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote