Old 02-25-2004, 03:21 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Welcome doh!

I too was found by the greatest 1999 25' Safari "B" . I thought it would last forever but then the 2004 30' Classic found me. I know this affair will last a lifetime! I wish i could keep her in the yard, I am jealous!

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 04:51 PM   #58
doh
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Manchaca , Texas
87MH

I've been a member since 10/1/2003 - just too busy reading all the great posts here and having fun with the AS to get too involved with posts.

The AS has been getting a lot of TLC and gives back x2. The goal is to get it back to 6 months old condition (like new is impossible).

This is indeed a great site - probably the best single site for most. Also like the VAC.

Have really enjoyed reading the posts on this site. When I have something of value to contribute, I will.

Perhaps the best thing I can contribute at this time is what many already know - Andy & InlandRV (www.inlandrv.com) is the answer to not only finding parts - but getting it right the first time.

Old 02-25-2004, 05:15 PM   #59
doh
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Manchaca , Texas
Wink Big Dee

You got me confused with someone that has a fat bank account.

I paid cash for the trailer, RV port and a new truck (my van was 11 years old). I enjoy my toys a lot more when they are paid for.

We looked at a very nice 95 30' Excella and decided on a 25' AS. Price was not an issue in the decision. 25' anything 'AS' are hard to find and we got a trailer in great condition (not without a few minor faults) for a reasonable price. Not sure how far it has been towed - but less than 25% of tread is missing off of the original tires (about 1/16" missing). The tires were made 9/98, the trailer was born 12/15/98.

Quite frankly - I've pondered if I would prefer a 2004 25' AS over what I have and in some ways - I like mine better, at least it has been through the debugging process. I'm focused on making it as comfortable and pleasant to live in as possible, without marring the original appearance.

I think this trailer was custom built for us in 1998 - but it just found us. It's here to stay.

The're all nice - regardless of when they were made. Each has a lot of character & soul. Some show the pain of neglect and abuse, but are made well enough to have survived for another day. Most of the SOB products do not fare as well.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:52 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Re: Big Dee

Quote:
Originally posted by doh
Quite frankly - I've pondered if I would prefer a 2004 25' AS over what I have and in some ways - I like mine better, at least it has been through the debugging process. I'm focused on making it as comfortable and pleasant to live in as possible, without marring the original appearance.
I agree! I will miss my Safari because I put so many "extras" into it. (I will really miss the outside shower)

But I felt I really wanted the larger size of the 30' and the Classic line is so awesome! And so far, the debugging has been no problem (knock on wood)!

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 08:01 AM   #61
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
TTT

Hello! We know you are here, so sign up and join the party!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 10:33 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Smile New here, don't own one (yet)

Hi,
I'm new here! My hubby and I have been talking about buying an AS for a long time now, still saving up some money though. I posted a long time ago, but I guess my account expired so I re-registered. The last time I posted about wanting one, I remember being asked about the tow vehicle, ours is a Chevy 2001 Silverado 4x4. My husband says the truck can tow 6 or 7,000 lbs. Does that sound about right?

We want to get one as big as possible because my husband is a big guy and needs room, but I have no idea what to look for, we want to start looking at them in person though to get an idea of what's out there. We live in Northern California. Definitely want a used one, vintage would be fine, really banged up especially with a bad interior wouldn't be a problem, my husband's a contractor and can do just about anything remodel-wise, and is good with cars generally. We wouldn't mind gutting the interior and re-doing it. So, a decent shell is all we're asking for? I think? We're babes in the woods on this sort of.

Any ideas or suggestions, or even just a "hi" from anyone would be nice!

Ingrid
Old 04-01-2004, 10:36 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamhopeful
Hi,
Any ideas or suggestions, or even just a "hi" from anyone would be nice!

Ingrid
OK, HI!
Old 04-01-2004, 10:39 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Thumbs up

OK, just kidding. Don't have any answers for you about that, but a big ol hello from St. Louis.

We're rehabing a 76 Overlander for my Aunt that lives somewhere out there in California, Falbrook I think. Cant wait to finish it so we can drive it out there. You can see pics (not quite updated) on the www. listed below. I have been terrified to do much of anything to it, but as I tear things out, I realize these airstreams are SO simple.....

Welcome, you have plenty of friends here!
Ron, and Tony
Old 04-01-2004, 10:46 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
hi back!

Whoa! I was just admiring your web site at tincanluv.com when I got an email from you. I love the work you've done! Yeah it's terrifying, but never as hard as it seems. And very rewarding. Just like a house. You can find answers on the internet and an expert can do the big stuff for you.

I'm not sure where to start looking. There was a rally near us at the Russian River Area here in CA last October and we were going to head up there and poke around, but the day sort of came and went and we never did it. If you hear of any tips on where to look in person I'd appreciate it. When I get my husband to see things in person, he starts catching the bug too. We're not necessarily ready to buy yet but we want to make a sound decision (one with "good bones" but needs TLC).

Old 04-01-2004, 10:52 PM   #66

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
You may not find one to buy, but this would probably be a fun place to go look and learn. Check out this link for the Silver Trailer Social. Sounds like it's close to home for you. If you go I'll see you there.

http://globetrotter64.home.att.net/gather.htm

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 10:57 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
I bought the first one, the little Safari in the field, to resell. I wanted to have one for keeps, but wasn't financially sound to do so. I agreed to buy the little safari (Joey) without even seeing the inside. Thought he was asking way too much for it....( wow, did I find out what a good deal I got on it!!!) after picking it up, and heading the 4 1/2 hours home, we had decided to keep it, and bear the financial strain of the 24% interest rate loan that paid for it....since I've sunk deeper in debt, but with an A/S it's DEFINATELY an investment.

And as you said. IT's like rehabing a house, which I bought two years ago, and have done many things over, just out of boredome, it was time to find a new hobby...

And right about that time, the entrepenurial (sp?) aunt wanted to jump on the Airstream craze, and resell them. She hasn't made it past the first one without deciding that she's keeping it....

Happy to have another to play with. In fact. Tearing hers apart has helped us in understanding ours better, which doesn't need as much work.

So that's the story. Just would advise to pick one up before the prices skyrocket,,,like the gasoline prices...overnight.... Best of luck and feel free to keep in touch. My aunt lets me know of any she sees in CA, so I would be happy to pass an info on to you.

ROn
Old 04-01-2004, 11:00 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Hey!

Thanks for that! That was the same event we were going to go to last year, I think. I couldn't find it. We are less than an hour away from Calistoga. I've marked my calendar this time and we're going to do it. Keep in touch and maybe we can say hi there.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:07 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Yes, please do let me know if you know of any out here. That's funny; my husband says he wants to fix them up and sell them too. That's fine with me, as long as I have my favorite one to keep. Real estate prices here are so insane, we can't even afford to buy a fixer-upper to resell, so he does existing homes remodels because that's where the demand is. Everyone is buying these rotting houses for an arm and a leg.

We're also thinking we could use it for extra living space, the home office, guest quarters, etc. We want to use every square inch of our home (it's pretty small but we have a big driveway; go figure).

I'm almost afraid to look because I know I'll start whining for one, and my husband will crack under spousal pressure and he'll get one before we can "afford it" (does "affording" ever really happen?)
Old 04-01-2004, 11:15 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
My new found Forum Friend Panub (grew up down the street from where I live now, and now lives down the street from where I grew up - small world) said Today that they have traveled SO MUCH since they bought there new A/S in Aug. of last year. And everywhere they went htey received the royal treatment. All of the SOB (have you figured out what an SOB is yet?) (took me a while....) owners wouldn't talk to them, think they are snobish because the must have money owning an airstream

So, if people want to THINK that I can afford my baby, that's just fine with me. The way I look at it, making minimum payments, I'll have it paid off somwhere around 2099. LOL

I get a chuckle when my cousin on the other side of the family (I'm a rambler, can you tell....) comes here from San Fran. She says she could buy several houses here for the price of her little house....It's amazing!!!

R