Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2003, 07:06 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Lurkers, but wannabes. . .

We too have had the AS fever for years. We currently enjoy our 25' "other brand" trailer after moving up from pop up camping. We longed over several wonderful vintage AS trailers before we purchased our current trailer. The problem is that we also love our '99 Toyota Land Cruiser tow vehicle. It pulls fine and gives us a terrific long-trip ride, but we knew it just wouldn't have the umph to handle the heavier AS. It was a really hard decision not to go AS, and obviously since I keep lurking on this forum, we still have the bug. We are nearing retirement,and while we won't "full time" ever, we dream of taking extended trips-longer than the 2-3 week summer expedition we can now enjoy. Through the years, we have VERY occasionally spotted AS motorhomes that knock us of our feet every time we see one. Through this forum, I think I now know that what we admire so much is the 1980s MH-probably the 310. Now I can begin to "talk the talk" of this prize! I just wonder if when the time comes, soon(!), we'll be able to find "it" and have the capability of caring for it. Lots to think about, and I really do appreciate the information we are learning here with your posts! --Georgia
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 04:46 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Smile We bought

Can hardly believe it. We purchased a 25' Classic. Have to give up my 97 Tahoe... We bought a Chev, diesel. Haven't got either one yet. Husband ordered a "drawer" to fit in the bed of the truck for easy access to "stuff". We have to go to San Antonio to pick up the AS -is a 2003.

Have just a touch of "fear"? We have never done anything like this. Really enjoy the AS people we have met so far. Am fairly sure this will be great.

Someone told me that some of you use an electric drill with a socket to put the 4 levelers down. More Info? Thanks to all.
Carol
Old 09-21-2003, 08:05 AM   #23
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Congratulations !

Way to go Carol. I know once the initial shock of towing a new to you trailer with a new to you tow vehicle wears off, you are going to have a permanent smile on your face. Sorry, I can't help you with the levelers. Someone will come to your aid. Post pictures when you can. Congrats again

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 08:35 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
, Mississippi
Hello all, I found this sight a few months ago and it is the
sight i have found in years. My Argosy found me about 9 months
ago and if not for this sight and all of the imformation from all of
you, Iwould not kwow what i have and enjoy it so much.
(This sight and trailers are habit forming)

Thanks for being here.

If you can't change your mind;
How do you know you have one?
ARGONUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 06:14 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Hi Clown

Is your user name due to a love of all things Baraboo?

You asked:
Quote:
Someone told me that some of you use an electric drill with a socket to put the 4 levelers down. More Info?
We did that when we had trailers. We used a cordless drill and the stabilizers went up and down lickity-split. What other info would you like?

A suggestion, don't think of them as levelers. You should get the trailer level using blocks and the tongue jack first. Then put the stabilizers down to keep the trailer from jiggling when you move around in it.
Old 09-21-2003, 09:52 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Of several things

RE: Clown... We have made clown dolls for 9 years now.

Guess I should look for some boards to level the trailer. I thought that these "levelers" worked like on a motor home. Do you put little level indicators on your trailer? How do you know when it is level?

At a funeral today. Cousin told me I was going to hate the AS as pulling trailers (Not 5th wheels) is very difficult. Am just a little bit scared now. Am a 61 yr old woman. Am I going to be able to do this?

What size socket do we need?

Thanks, Carol
Old 09-21-2003, 10:42 PM   #27

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Don't let your cousin scare you, he must be talking about those big square trailers, not our aerodynamic airstreams! We were very apprehensive about pulling our trailer for the first time, but it was smooth sailing from the very start. Almost forget it's back there.

And at 61, you're a youngster. At our first rally we met a guy who was in his 90s, and still pulling a trailer! Don't let anyone else scare you until you find out how easy it is for yourself!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 10:55 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stefrobrts
Don't let your cousin scare you, he must be talking about those big square trailers, not our aerodynamic airstreams! We were very apprehensive about pulling our trailer for the first time, but it was smooth sailing from the very start. Almost forget it's back there.

And at 61, you're a youngster. At our first rally we met a guy who was in his 90s, and still pulling a trailer! Don't let anyone else scare you until you find out how easy it is for yourself!
Carol , Stephanie is right , you are going to be amazed at how well your trailer pulls . Don't fear anything , your going to be just fine . Craig
Craig1160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 11:12 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

Thank you for one neat web-site

I am a new member and would just like to thank everyone who takes part for a truly wonderful site . I am so happy with my new trailer and I have yet to run across anyone who owns one that has not been nice . Before I bought my unit , I would admire them and if I had the opportunity to talk to an owner , they almost always would show me their coach and spend a little time with me answering questions . I thought that was really , really special . then I stumble on this site . You know , if all people were as nice as Airstream owners , the world would be a much nicer place to live . Thank you all , Craig
Craig1160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 04:44 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

appreciative newbie

Can I be a newbie and an A/S junkie as well!? Thanks to all the members who support this site. I have learned lots (still more to learn) just from browsing the posts. Thanks !
davja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 05:15 PM   #31

Hello, everyone. I was a lurker, and then I found the Caravel. In a way a put the cart before the horse, and now I have a new Honda Pilot. Soon we will pick up the Caravel in Michigan. I was surprised to find that it is the very trailer pictured in the first five photos on the vintageairstream.com 1967 Caravel archive site. It's changed a little: the tv antenna is gone and the tail lights have been changed to new rectanular jobbies. I've found an old set of wedding cake tail lights on an old "easy traveler" beside a barn south of Middlebury. The screws were rusted so we drove back down with a bucket of tools and a nifty screw extractor. So I have the tail lights and the tow vehicle. Now for the Caravel.

Thanks for this wonderful website. I have lots of reading to do and lots to learn.
Old 10-05-2003, 05:23 PM   #32
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Welcome Sallie to the world of vintage Airstreaming. If you're like me, you're life will never be the same, thanks mostly to the members of this great forum. You'll be very welcome here.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 08:45 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up It's time again..

Just today..I was on and the "guest" outnumbered the register users by 3 to 1..You know? You folks are invited to join~

ciao
Attached Images

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 12:32 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

Hello people,

I have been lurking on this list for the last month or so.
My hubby and i bought a 78 tradewinds (25 feet) october 2002. We bought the first one we looked at. Having discussed buying an A/S for ages. This one appeared ok, not having anything to compare it to except the SOBs. We took it to Colorado in April and my husband lived in it until the end of October. (he came home in June and Again in August to get me and the cat). The three of us lived in it until the end of October. We pulled it to the grand canyon and then up through utah, across Idaho and west to Vancouver and then back east. We loved it. To me it was like having a big giant suitcase with everything we needed.
However the 78 had plastic insides. The plastic had become brittle and things broke. so we began thinking a little larger and newer.
After we got back I discovered this list.
And we found a 96 30 foot Excella 1000. It had everything we wanted. Well cared for and a better option than building a home in Pagosa Springs, Colorado. Oh yeah we got a hensley hitch for it. And pull it with a 2001 Dodge Ram Diesel.

And now here we are. Thanks for the info, humor and friendship you folks show. We will eventually post more. For now hello.

Betsy & Tom Griffin
WBCCI# 6978
Suwanee, GA
gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 07:31 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Welcome Betsy and Tom

You certainly have a lot more experience than I do. I too bought nearly the first Airstream I saw and I have yet to pull it anywhere. Here's to your many contributions to come.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 07:56 PM   #36
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
C'mon in, the water is great!

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 08:12 PM   #37
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Re: We bought

Quote:
Originally posted by clown
Someone told me that some of you use an electric drill with a socket to put the 4 levelers down. More Info? Thanks to all.
Carol
I have a 2003 25' Classic, also. In the past, I have used my cordless drill to lower the stabilizers on my former trailers. On the Classic, the stabilizers go down with very few turns and the crank works so easily that I haven't bothered to carry the cordless drill any more.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 09:12 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

Hello again
Just wanted to add that we traded our old camper to the couple that we brought the excella from.
and we have been camping withthe new one once. 5 days at the Top of Georgia Airstream park, we enjoyed it.
And just wanted to add we are on a Macintosh. Just to add how differently we think. What a pleasure it is.

Tom & Betsy
gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 05:36 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

Numbers removal - carefully

So who out there has had luck or skill in changing the numbers on an AS? We're new owners of Pahaska's International and don't want the rest of you to think he's still driving around with a unit that changes from 22 to 25 ft all the time. A gentle heat gun? or maybe wait for a hot Texas day? Ideas anyone?
Gerald Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 05:50 PM   #40
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Gerald Clay,
I just recently removed my numbers using a heat gun. Don't heat the aluminum too much, because that's counter-productive. If the letters get too hot, then they will rip too soon, and come off in little shreds. I believe that you will have amuch easier time, because John's trailer ( now yours) is still fairly new. I also removed the faded WBCCI round sticker. I would encourage you to remove the numbers as soon as possible, before they become ghost numbers underneath on the clearcoat. My numbers are still clearly visible from certain angles, but that's a 33 year old trailer. Oh, and Wally's portrait from the round sticker has become a permanent mural in the aluminum.