Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2011, 09:26 AM   #1
on the hunt

Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
Send a message via Skype™ to osolow
Question Headed to Jackson Center, OH

My wife and I will be headed to Cleveland at the end of the week and i thought i would take a little detour and Go do the factory tour on Friday.

and was wounder if anyone out here has any good suggestions on places to camp on are way up there? We will most likey stop for the night on the north side of St Louis in Illinois some were or dive on through will decide on the road.

Plus hows the weather up there in Ohio ?
osolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:57 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
If you haven't already, make sure you visit:

The National Museum of the United States Air Force (formerly the United States Air Force Museum) is the official National Museum of the United States Air Force and is located at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, near Dayton, Ohio. The NMUSAF is the world's largest and oldest military aviation museum.[2] More than 400 aircraft and missiles are on display, most of them indoors.[1] The museum draws over 1.3 million visitors per year and is one of the single most visited tourist attractions in Ohio.[3] Admission is free.

I've been there 3 times, never gets old.
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
There are 2 State Parks close to JC. Grand Lake St. Marys and Indian Lake. I do not know if they are open this time of year but Grand Lake # is 419.394.3611. The weather on Friday is supposed to be 56 with 30% chance of rain. They have a tour on Fridays but the factory is not in production.

Gary
30 miles from the MotherShip
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:13 PM   #4
on the hunt

Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
Hey thinks Ill give the park
a call
i emailed Airstream but have not heard anything back yet will probably call this afternoon

the Air Force museum sounds really cool
Old 02-16-2011, 12:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Make sure you are at Jackson Center on time for the scheduled tour. They will not wait on anyone. Just one tour per day. I learned from experience. You can stay right there at the factory's onsite campground if you like, very inexspensive.

I stayed at Indian Lake back in October, about half hour from Jackson Center. It is a good place to stay. There is a choice of waterfront or wooded spaces. Here is their website. Ohio State Parks - Indian Lake State Park

Alan
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Friday is a great day to take the tour......no noise, and easier to snoop around without being disturbed by those pesky workers!
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmrcaptevil View Post
Friday is a great day to take the tour......no noise, and easier to snoop around without being disturbed by those pesky workers!

Very true, the Friday tour is typically longer with all the time devoted to questions that can be answered in a normal tone. Camp at the factory teraport for very little cost, they have wifi and full hookups - if you arrive late, just pull in and park. Wifi password is available from the guard in the guard shack. Just pay in the morning when you sign up for the tour on Friday. I bet if you buy something from the store they would let you stay for free. fridays are typically their slow camping day.

Mike
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
That should be a nice trip. I've traveled Ohio quite a bit. I like the people there a lot. I'll be watching for the pictures.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:20 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 28
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Centerville , Indiana
Today it is 60 and sunny, tomarrow is to have a little rain but warm as well. We are at Richmond, IN about 120 miles south west of Jackson Center. It's a lovely tour and quite informative, we have been their several times. Over the years we have owned 2 Airstreams and 2 Argosys, presently 26' Argosy.

Hook Shot
hookshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:08 PM   #10
on the hunt

Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
Thanks all we are very excited about going we are thinking were going to leave Thursday night just to make sure we get there with enough time.

after we visit the factory were headed up to Cleveland to go to the Rock N Roll Hall of fame
and the Air force museum that withidl suggested that sound really cool. If anybody else have any good suggestions Or places to Eat would be cool to know of.

I was watching Man VS Food A couple of nights a go and he was in Columbus OH and he went to a couple of cool looking places "Schmidt's Sausage Haus und Restaurant" and Thurman Cafe,Ohio Deli

any other suggestion's?
Old 02-16-2011, 06:10 PM   #11
on the hunt

Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
Make sure you are at Jackson Center on time for the scheduled tour. They will not wait on anyone. Just one tour per day. I learned from experience. You can stay right there at the factory's onsite campground if you like, very inexspensive.

I stayed at Indian Lake back in October, about half hour from Jackson Center. It is a good place to stay. There is a choice of waterfront or wooded spaces. Here is their website. Ohio State Parks - Indian Lake State Park

Alan

GOOD to know thanks very much
Old 02-16-2011, 06:19 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Thanks SplitRock
We like you too.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:26 PM   #13
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
While in JC, make a point to camp at the Terraport rather than at an RV park. There is nothing like just being in JC and meeting whoever else shows up. It is one of the things that makes Airstream ownership special.

And it's free.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:23 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Melts in Lakewood. About a 1/2 hour west of downtown Cleveland. Melt Bar & Grilled - Home

Stancato's in Parma for Italian Italian Restaurant Cleveland, Cleveland Ohio Best Restaurants

Got a place to stay in Cleveland yet?
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:49 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1961 28' Ambassador
1975 31' Excella 500
Bladensburg , Ohio
Columbus has lots of great places to eat and shop. If you're a shopper, there's Polaris Shopping Center right off of I-71 (north side of Columbus). There is an abundance of excellent food places on Polaris Parkway exit as well. Some are national chains and some are local, but all are excellent!

Carfagna's Kitchen is great Italian food up there! House of Japan is a VERY good Japanese steakhouse. Plus, there are numerous national chains (TGI Friday's, Red Lobsters, etc, etc). There are also Cameron Mitchell restaurants - pricey but delicious!

I've got to stop, I'm making myself hungry.

Enjoy our fair state! Glad to have you with us!
61Ambassador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:51 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1961 28' Ambassador
1975 31' Excella 500
Bladensburg , Ohio
For staying at the AS plant, I believe if your AS is being serviced, then overnight stays are free... otherwise it is $10. A great deal and like someone already said - you get to meet really cool people!
61Ambassador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:53 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by osolow View Post
after we visit the factory were headed up to Cleveland to go to the Rock N Roll Hall of fame
and the Air force museum that withidl suggested that sound really cool.
Just to make sure I am not misunderstanding you. . . The Air Force Museum is in Dayton, Ohio, about 50 miles due south of Jackson Center and kinda the opposite end of the state from Cleveland. . .

If you need a campground near the AF Museum, John Bryan State Park isn't far away.

John Bryan State Park

For commercial campgrounds, the Dayton KOA is supposed to be nice.

Right now we are having a warm spell but don't forget it's still February. . . we had subzero temperatures last week.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:04 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Near Cleveland

We offer courtesy parking at our house. We are about 30 mi. SW of Cleveland. It is about 3.5 hrs. from Jackson Center. We would love to meet you!
The weather here this week is in the 30s and it feels like a heat wave to us, since we have had such a frigid winter. Snow was melting today and it was sunny. But this is northern Ohio and weather will change at a moment's notice.
Let us know if you are headed this direction!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Did you make it to JC?

Give us a call if you would like to get together for a potluck this weekend! Daytona 500 party this Sunday!!!!!
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:11 PM   #20
on the hunt

Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
Well we made to JC earlier today about noon or so we stopped in and made sure there would be a tour today and there was, we signed up and then went down the street and got some lunch.

Got back with about an hour to wait till the tour so we just hung out there, looking at the the different things and articles the got up on the walls.

A couple cool things they have in the lobby there entertainment center is the back end of a A/S and a couple of desk built he same way.

The tour then started with Don, this ol guy was really cool and had been with A/S for over 50 years. The first thing they show you is the service area with A WCC bike that Jessie James built for them(they won't let you sit on it). And a 1932 trailer they are going too be refurbishing. I do not remember the brand but it wasn't a A/S.

The service dept there is pretty cool and some of the work they were doing was impressive from simple services to complete frame and outer skin replacement to complete interior replacement.

Now the best part of the tour was the manufacture side it was Friday and they had already shut down for the week so we pretty much got to go everywhere and look at everything.
I got to walk up and see freshly cut outer side panels sitting in the jig ready to be riveted
then over to see there new CNC that cuts out the floor in one solid piece.
Then from there there I got to see a European frame which to my surprise was made from galvanized steel. And the brakes were very small drum style. They also had a very small wheel and tire combo on the trailer. The isolation in the floor was made with a inch or a little more of white foam. Other then that the trailer wasn't finished just a roller no interior or even electrical ran.
Then I got to see several A/S's in different stages of completion including two Eddie Bauer editions those are a nice 25 ft er there.