Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2015, 12:15 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

benicia , California
Have you camped at Clear Lake State Park in CA?

What's the best route from the SF Bay Area? The last time I drove up there, I took curvy hwy 29 which made my son car sick. I was wondering if anyone has taken hwy 5 then hwy 20 to hwy 29. If so, how were those roads?

What did you think of that state park?

Thanks!
cantdrv55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:31 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
We haven't stayed at this park, but we have been to Clear Lake many times. I-5 to westbound Hwy 20 is a good route. The road is good all the way, but Hwy 20 takes you up over some ridges. Last time I drove that route, the pavement was good, but there are inclines and wide sweeping curves. Another route you might consider is north on Hwy 101 to eastbound Hwy 20. That's a flatter route and the road is all good. The park's website has a construction alert posted for Hwy 29. Check it out before making your reservations.

This time of the year, it will be hot there. The park has no hookups but does have a dump station. Bring a generator to power your AC if you can. But, it looks like a nice park. Check the lake water levels. With our current drought, the water levels could be low.

If you go, let us know how it was and post photos.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:40 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

benicia , California
I'll post a report of the campground. We have reservations in two weeks. Thanks for the route suggestions!
cantdrv55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:17 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
Before leaving, check the highways report to be sure Hwy 20 is open. I just heard on the news that it was closed due to fires in that area. You might also want to check into the status of those fires and the amount of smoke that may be present in the campground you plan to visit.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote