Old 07-20-2004, 05:19 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

I do a number of transactions on ebay. I pride myself on the limited positive feedback, as I only deal with Airstreams and Argosys. On the one hand, while the items that garner the most cash and interest on ebay are those that areo quite rare, or quite "ready to go", there appears to be an inflated value to airstreams. Put anything short of "ready to go" and you will get very few inquiries. The advantage of getting something on ebay however, is that you are protected to some extent to the 'contract' that ebay applies to all transactions. Furthermore, there are items that come up on ebay, that you may have been looking for for years. Case and point, I am still looking for a Divco milk truck. There is currently one on ebay, but it is overpriced. Nevertherless, this may sound strange, but having dealt with lots of people whether it'd be in purchasing or selling, I will die knowing that the vast majority of people are good, honest folks. This is prevalent in higher percentages than we are led to believe. Specially in rural parts of the country. This is only my opinion, I hope not to insult anyone out there.
Additionally, the people that are bombarded with inquiries early on, may become inflated with thougths of cash, and soon they raise their price.
My pennies on this matter.

fabofabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 12:23 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Owings Mills , Maryland

Well, I am high bidder on an Airstream on ebay. It is older (1955) and longer (26') than I was looking for originally. By tonight I may be an Airstream owner. I am alternating between excitement and worrying that I made a big mistake . Nine Hours and 47 minutes.

kayelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 02:52 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas

Interesting Tire Carrier on that one kayelm.

Don't bid anymore on it until the last minutes of the Auction. Your just driving the price up.
AIR# 123

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 10:58 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member
Send a message via AIM to Simplyspent Send a message via Yahoo to Simplyspent
Hmmmmmm. I now own two Airstreams, both first disvcovered on eBay. My first purchase was from photos and seller description for a 1962 Flying Cloud. I paid $3500.00 for it and my father-in-law picked it up since I was traveling. My first quick inspection revealed a fair amoutn of work. Once work started I began to realize how damaged the trailer was. It was home to rats for the previous decade and they destroyed everything. I could not salvage much and even removed the bathroom and turned it into a sleeping area. Lessons learned: View it in person first, truist nobody! Don't buy an Airstream that someone lived in full time for an extended period. My Flying Cloud has been reborn however is a campground tent in that it does not have a bathroom and requires electricity (110 only) and water hookup (no holding tanks or water storage) These shortcomings aren't too bad but our desire for more had me looking for something else, something more complete.

Scannign eBay a few weeks ago I found a 1962 Overlander for Sale locally. I drove the few miles to the lot and looked it over. It is a diamond in the rough however my Flying CLoud experience has taught me much! I bought it as a sideline deal without bidding (the dealer reserved this as an option and I hate bidding!) We were both happy and I took my new Airstream home... Lesson Learned: Don't pay too much for a project trailer, and the look before buying closed the deal.
Simplyspent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 08:08 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member
Ebay misc. advice

I too have been on ebay since it's inception. When I first started, you could peruse every category, every item in about 5 minutes. I would routinely search for "guitar" and get no hits. Now you get about 35,000.

My biggest advice is never - never bid on an item until there is less than 1 minute remaining and then bid your maximum amount. I see people who will bid $100, get out bid, then bid $125..then get outbid..etc. This is invitation to seller shill bidding where they create a fake account and run up the bid. Your other advantage of only bidding at the last minute is that others who don't bid their maximum amount until they get outbid, will be left in the dust because they don't have time to get their next bid in..the auction's over.

If at anytime you get outbid, then get contacted by the seller with a story about the winning bidder backing out or something like that and offering you a chance to them to ebay. They are most likely up to no-good. Someone mentioned that they thought someone "hacked into ebay" to offer a bogus second chance to buy..I doubt anyone hacked into ebay..what was most likely happening is that you caught a shill-bidder in the act.

Now, on buying large items (cars, MH's, TT's) - be aware that many-many of these items end up selling "off ebay". I've spent some time watching cars and trailers for awhile, I notice a very large number of these type items, where potential buyers usually come and inspect the item before bidding, the auctions seem to end early.

I can speak from experience - because that's how I bought my AS TT. I'm not real proud of it but the seller told me his reserve - which I insisted on. I didn't want to drive the 200+ miles to go look at a TT if the reserve was ridiculous. So when he told me the reserve, I stuck that much cash in my pocket and..well to make a long story short, I drove it home that night and the auction ended early, the first full day of the auction. This is why ebay has hiked the fees for reserve-auctions. Previously, when reserve auction was practically free, people used ebay for advertising by putting a high reserve on the item, then skating on the final-value charges.

Someone else in this thread who got burned mentioned that the seller insisted on having all money in hand before he picked up the item - this should have been a dead-ringer giveaway that this was a bad deal waiting to happen. I always send a lot of emails with questions and such to sellers...not just to get more info but to see how the sellers react to questions. Poor responses(or no responses) to questions will usually be a tip that this seller is not a responsible individual.

Me personally - I'd have a hard time buying a TT sight unseen unless it was a fixer-upper. Maybe if I had a good idea of who the seller was I'd make a leap of faith, especially if the price was right. I've had my TT for just a few weeks now and made one short trip. Of course we found a few things wrong but nothing that I wouldn't consider a day-in-the-life of a TT owner. I doubt that the seller misrepresented anything.

Anyway...that's my long-winded ebay speech..hope the advice can help y'all down the line whether it's buying an AS TT or anything else.

johnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 02:03 PM   #20
1979 23' Safari
Dublin , California
1979 Safari on eBay

I bought a 1979 Safari on eBay and it turned out better than I'd hoped. I think it is a matter of the honesty of both individuals, just like all transactions. But with eBay you don't know who is on the other side of the transaction. After winning the bid, it turned out that I bought it from the Airstream dealer in Los Banos, Ca. They were great. As luck would have it they were having a RV show at the Pleasanton, Ca. Fairgrounds, near my house. They had a truck coming this way to pick up their show trailer so they delivered my eBay purchase free. They described the trailer accurately so their were no suprises. It is a restroal project but I'm having a great time.

I wouldn't recommend buying an expensive item on eBay without inspecting it. I could have easily gotten burned, but I didn't. Just lucky I guess.
dennisgroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 06:43 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member
Richmond , Virginia
A family in my WBCCI Unit purchased a gorgeous 1997 34'er with a front kitchen sight unseen, well except for pictures, off e-bay. They only paid $25K for it and $1,000 to have someone bring from Texas to Maryland. This was in 2002. They were and are thrilled with their purchase. It is a sweet thing. The front kitchen is so nice.

Like anything else, do your home work. People have plenty of problems with new ones and AS dealers.

WBCCI #2468
2006 Ford F-150 Lariart 4X4
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
luckydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 12:55 AM   #22
Rivet Master
A friend of mine bought an AS on ebay and I have bought a bass boat as the largest item from ebay.
I can understand the concern of being scammed, but if you play your cards right you should be ok.
First ask lots of questions. Try to get the phone number and call and talk with them.
I never like the idea of paying something down because if you change your mind that money is going to be lost. If the trailer is too far away to make looking at it impossible, then tell the seller that you will pay him in full when you come out to get the trailer, but make sure it is close enough that you can get out to it within a week and most sellers are going to be ok with this. When you go out to get it if you change your mind because it is a real junk or damaged that was not known to you, then you have only lost the cost of the trip instead of 500 - 1000 dollars that you also put down on it.
Make certain that there is a clear title on it. The title is lost or a bill of sale is all that is required in our state may not fly in your state and if the trailer turns out to be stolen then it is going to be your loss. So I would just avoid that possibility.
Also look at the sellers feedback to see what kind of reputation they have on ebay. This will list both selling and buying so a low number is most ofter just a person that buys things on ebay and is now selling something.

Just adding my 2 worth

John G
1975 31ft Sovereign International
........Rear Bath Double Bed Model
Tow Vehicle:1999 GMC Serria SLE Classic 1500 5.7Ltr
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote