Old 09-12-2003, 07:12 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member
1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Wilmington , Illinois
Question Halloween Camping

Does anyone know of any private campgrounds that make a huge deal out of Halloween?

We have a three year old boy and heard there are some campgrounds out there that have fun family weekends planned for Halloween; decorated campsites, costume contests, activities, pumpkin carving, hay rides, haunted houses, trick or treating.....sounds like fun. So I've been calling random campgrounds asking if they do this and haven't had any luck.

I'd appreciate "leads" on a haunted weekend.....We love Halloween. Making it a camping trip, well, it just couldn't get any better than that, could it?

hotLAVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 09:16 AM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Compton Ridge Campground in Branson Mo. used to have special weekends with activities. I think Halloween was one of them. You might give them a call on their 800 number and see. We will be staying there around the first of October.

I just checked and they are doing something on the weekend of the 24th. Note that all events are are the main campground.

Compton Ridge's Witchy Weekend - Fun & Games on Saturday, Pig Roast Potluck Dinner on Saturday evening. Decorate your campsite for Halloween, prizes for the best sites. Potluck Dinner, Costume Judging, Crowning of the Grand Marshal, Costume Parade and Trick or Treating.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 01:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Dallas , Texas
This looks like it should be a lot of fun. We plan to attend, work schedule permitting.

Palmetto Cove RV Park
Cleveland, South Carolina
Have a "Spooktacular" time in the beautiful mountains of northwestern South Carolina. Get in the spirit with a Halloween Carnival and Masquerade Ball, Airstream Halloween Decoration Contest, Pet Costume Contest and seasonal crafts. Enjoy an interpretive hike in the mountains and a waterfall caravan. Four breakfasts, three dinners a covered dish, and treats will be included as well as a flea market, hobby show and informative sessions. Join the fun with golf or games. Enjoy full hookups. Meet Phred Sez of the "Blue Beret". Register by Sept. 1, 2003, for discounted rate. Coupon will be in the "Blue Beret". For more information, call Sarah Brandt at 803-796-7225 (email: or Renee Ettline 843-766-9308 (email:
Edie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 03:57 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member
Wilmington , Illinois
Thank you!

And here I thought nothing could beat the vision I had of a fun Halloween camping weekend........then I read your replies: "Pig roast" (I imagined roasting hot dogs, I wouldn't even DREAM of a PIG! Wow... have to set my goals higher I guess),"crowning of a grand marshal" (now you know that would be me if I were there!), and best of all, "Interpretive hike in the mountains & a waterfall caravan!" (heck! I don't even know what that means, but sure sounds beautiful whatever it is!)

Thanks so much for the replies! Both sound like exactly what we're looking for and more! Silly me, I guess I expect everyone to know where I live via mental telepathy. Anyone know of anything in the Chicago area (3 hour radius) that offers these types of activities......wishful thinking.

Regardless, I hope others will be able to join the fun! If we don't find something soon, with these ideas I will be organizing my own little Halloween camping adventure sure to include an interpretive hike through, well, probably a cornfield and since there's only three of us, perhaps we'll roast a chicken.

I hope you guys have a geat Halloween!
Old 09-14-2003, 11:25 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member
Wilmington , Illinois

I can't believe it, I found one!

Spent several hours surfing the net early this morning searching for a campground for our Halloween adventure and lo and behold, I have found one very close to home! I have never been there but the man I talked to on the phone was awfully friendly and helpful. If anyone is interested spending a spooky fun filled weekend with their kids, here's the information:

Paradise RV Park
11122 Station St.
Garden Prairie, IL 61308
(815) 597-1671

Located 55 miles West of Chicago. Weekend of September 27th.

I was told that Friday there will be a Halloween theme tye dye party. Saturday is a fun filled day with a scavenger hunt, parade of costumes, trick or treating, dunk tank, bingo, haunted and unhaunted (for the little 'faidy cats) pavilions, Hay Rides to view the decorated campsites (with prize for the best site), and a dance. They are also close to orchards for apple picking.

I never thought I'd see the day when I sought out such activities....I am much to civilized (hack, cough) for such absurdities (giggle). I just like to see the little man that calls me mom get excited.

Hope to see you there!