Old 09-19-2004, 07:00 PM   #1
Rivet Master
2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Grease "sweat" in the cap?

I was recently treated to a flat tyre.....was smoking and a nice person motioned from the other lane that I had it.

Changed tyres...hava spare but noticed that there is grease "sweat" in the nice little Alcoa Cap.....does this mean that bearing is going without???? now?

I am going to Costco tomorrow to get another Goodyear Marathon 225 75 R15 put on...should I get the bearings repacked???? My tt has only been about 12,000 miles.

Kistler & Brenda

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 08:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Changed tyres...hava spare but noticed that there is grease "sweat" in the nice little Alcoa Cap.....does this mean that bearing is going without???? now?
A very thin film of grease on the inside of the cap would not bother me as long as the inside seal and cap were ok. Grease will move by capillary action to adjacent parts.
Your miles are enough that I would want each drum pulled, the back seal checked for leakage, a little grease pushed into the bearings if required and check the tightness of each bearing as it is closed up. Also gives a chance to inspect the brake assembly at the same time and adjust brakes if required.

I do my own. At 12000 miles, you should not need much done. Seals are only 2 years old, grease doesn't escape unless seal is bad. I clean off the needle bearing surface and roll each bearing and inspect for pitting starting on each of the little needle bearings. Outside bearing is easy, inside bearing is a little harder because seal holds it in the hub but, it is still possible to inspect inside bearings without removing. Add a little grease back into the side of the bearings & race and close up.

Only other thing would be if a bearing or brake has been running tight and overheated. Then some further action may be required.

wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 03:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master
2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Thank you Wingfoot1.

Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 05:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California
Major Brake.

Industry standards for brake-bearing service is once a year or every 10,000 miles.

"Any" moisture in any part of the sealed bearing area, would dictate removal of the grease seal and both bearings.

The bearings should be completely degreased and inspected for any pitting, rust spots or discoloration, as well as the spindles.

Grease seals, "must" be replaced at the same time.

To assume there is no problem, and simply cram more grease into the bearings, is a risk that should never be taken, ever.

That kind of risk, is completely avoided, by spending $50 to $60.00 per year for grease seals for a tandem.

Certainly, if you value the trailer at all, that amount of money won't break the bank.

But it "will" give the assurance of safe towing.

PM is the key to success. Lack of it, or short cutting it, or ignoring it, is a sure way to invite trouble, and it will show up when you least expect it.

The running gear is very different on trailers than it is on cars. It is not wise to compare the two.

Cars are used very frequently, trailers are not. That in itself, dictates a different PM approach.

Be safe, not sorry.

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote