Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2003, 07:55 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Question Gps

Any folks out there using GPS ???????????

I have a Lowrance i Finder.
Use Street Atlas to plan a trip then use Lowrance software to program the GPS.

Garry

garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 11:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Re: Gps

Quote:
Originally posted by garry
Any folks out there using GPS ???????????

I have a Lowrance i Finder.
Use Street Atlas to plan a trip then use Lowrance software to program the GPS.

Garry

I'm planning on it. Looking at a Garmin GPSIIIPlus or current model. I like tha modle because it already has built in maps. THat way it will beusefull in my other vehicles that will not be set up for the laptop. I'll be mounting a laptop up front on the pull truck so I can have a nice big screen to veiw. Still not sure what software to go with.
Plan to pick up a used laptop. I don't need the lateast and greatest. Just want one with DVD to keep the kids happy while traveling and will jive with the GPS and digital cameras.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 12:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
From what I read, if you want to run the 2003 version of Street Atlas, you'd better have the most powerful notebook you can find. Seems it's a resource hog and slow on less powerful models.

Discussion on Escapees Forum.

Another discussion there
Old 04-08-2003, 12:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by RoadKingMoe
From what I read, if you want to run the 2003 version of Street Atlas, you'd better have the most powerful notebook you can find. Seems it's a resource hog and slow on less powerful models.

Discussion on Escapees Forum.

Another discussion there
Thanks for the heads up!
Hmm everybody seems dissatisfied with 2003. I wonder if anywhere still has the last version available. Guess I'll hit some stores in the next few days and see if I can find the 8.0 or 9.0 that was mentioned in those links.

THis laptop will be riding in the truck so I don't want a $2k laptop with the risk of theft and or damage. I plan to buy a $500 used unit with win 98.

Thanks.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 01:11 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

I use a 5yr old Garmin III, to navigate with. I run it out of the cigarette lighter, have it mounted on the top of the dashboard, near the left side of my steering wheel (no external antenna). It works great and has most of the roads that I am going to be on already included on the self contained map. The amazing thing is the GPS indicated speed that is calculated from the 12 satelites is often closer to my actual speed, when checked by radar, than my my truck speedometer.

I also use the Delorme programs Map N Go, and Street Atlas to plan trips to plan routes. I use Delorme Topo USA to look at the routes. This program has a pretty good Topographic map of the complete USA on one DVD. You can put the program into 3D perspective mode and adjust the angle of view to about 15 degrees and scan the proposed route and it looks like you are flying over the landscape at about 2000'.

RoadKing Moe is correct the Street Atlas does take up a lot of room. If you don't need every street in the cities the Map N Go program would probably be a better choice. It will also hook to a GPS reciever and allow you to keep track of things on your laptop screen.

However I have never hooked my Garmin GPS to my lap top mostly because the built in maps are generally adequate, and I didn't want the clutter of the laptop.

I detach the GPS and use it when we hike, I generally pre-load several waypoints on the trails that we want to hike, as well as mountain tops that I believe will be visible along the route. We turn on the GPS and catch a reading anytime that we stop for a snack ( approx. once an hour).
5W-30 Synthetic
Rod Pease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 06:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I chose the iFinder since it had a built in map and the optional detail map covered the entire USA on 2 CD's. All the other brands I looked at required you to buy regional maps if you wanted the detail. Each region was around $70.

I also have StreetAtlas 2003. I liked 8.0 better but now I am used to SA2003 it is more powerful and less errors on the routes I use ( they all have errors). I ran SA 8.0 on a 200 mhz machine. SA2003 will run on 200 mhz but faster is better.
The optional software used with the iFinder requires more power min. 500 mhz and a USB port.
The least expensive route is probaby A less expensive GPS plotter with the Street Atlas software and run that on a laptop PC. I agonized a long time to go with a unit with the internal map since I had a GPS Eagle plotter with a serial output to the PC running Street Atlas 8.0
It is a lot more convient to have just the hand held and I am satisfied with it.
If you have lots of money to invest they do have some really nice units with bigger screen, color, ect.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote